Your Cricket The Art of Offspin.

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
you got the point, its absolutely the same here....
well the "pitch" is a piece of carpet....you can buy it in every common home improvement market. 22 meters cost some hundred ??s.
but dont expect too much, you wont get a lot of bounce from it. depends on the surface its lying on. we play on an ash field, when its dry its ok, otherwise it isnt that much fun

Ahh, that is so clever. Yeah, here in Gdansk, we don't even have ash fields - it's just the grass at the park lol.

I'm so glad to finally meet another fan who's not from a cricket playing country - how did you get into game?

Kaos110

Club Cricketer
i used to play baseball a couple of years ago and somehow got interested in cricket. due to my job i had to quit baseball and started playing cricket on saturdays together with a couple of mates......we have no coaching or stuff like that so our level is very very low. but this year i plan to get on the train and visit one of the few clubs we have and take part in some of their training sessions (sometimes they train on saturdays if they have no game). i hope to get a lot of advices so i can improve my skills on my own.

PS: if you or anyone of your mates has a garden you could try this:
YouTube - Backyard Cricket [Ultimate pitch preparation]

not the perfect solution but better than nothing.....even building training nets is not that difficult if you have a garden.....

PS2: www.glueckaufcricket.de

Last edited:

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
Lol, that video was genius :D Sadly, none of my mates has a garden no where near big enough. Whoa, that's commitment if your actually going to travel all the way just for a few hints. We've got 2, I think, in Warsaw, but it's like a 5-6 hour drive.

Kaos110

Club Cricketer
Lol, that video was genius :D Sadly, none of my mates has a garden no where near big enough. Whoa, that's commitment if your actually going to travel all the way just for a few hints. We've got 2, I think, in Warsaw, but it's like a 5-6 hour drive.

hmmmm, another possibility is to watch cricket videos on youtube. you will find a lot of videos dealing with cricket bating/bowling. one of the first things i did was to order the bob woolmer training videos. its a set including 3 dvds, they were pretty cheap and all the skills are explained in every detail.

riz7khan12

Panel of Selectors
why?? too easy for right handers to smash around???
would make sense to me cause like shown in the video, my mates (right handers) smashed me around when the ball didnt land on a certain spot

it's just lefties are rare in cricket :p, and since leg spin requires patience and hard practice to get it right most of them either concentrate on their batting or start bowling offspin from when they learn to play cricket. So you're pretty much right!

Brad Hogg was the last left arm chinaman that played international cricket i think. He was a great bowler who spinned the ball both ways with pretty much the same action.

Kaos110

Club Cricketer
it's just lefties are rare in cricket :p, and since leg spin requires patience and hard practice to get it right most of them either concentrate on their batting or start bowling offspin from when they learn to play cricket. So you're pretty much right!

Brad Hogg was the last left arm chinaman that played international cricket i think. He was a great bowler who spinned the ball both ways with pretty much the same action.

hm, is bowling off spin thst much easier??? i never tried cause i dont understand how it actually works. i know the right grip but not how to add turn on the ball without throwing it

riz7khan12

Panel of Selectors
leg spin is easier to bowl but if it doesn't land in the right place you get smashed. so offspin is easier to get it right. i mainly use my middle finger to spin the ball, not the best technique sometimes the ball spins, sometimes it doesn't.

I'm not the best person to learn offspin from really i'm very much part time. I learned how by watching vettori bowling. :p

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
Yeah, I find it easier to bowl leggies as well. Never really understood how to bowl offies - never manage to get any turn.

Seoken

School Cricketer
leg spin is easier to bowl but if it doesn't land in the right place you get smashed. so offspin is easier to get it right.:p

That was a complete contradiction of yourself.
You say leg spin is easier to bowl, but then claim offies are easier to get right. You just said the're both the easier then the other.

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I find Offspin a lot easier than legspin. It is easier to get correct line and length and getting turn is easy too if you had the grip right. In Legspin getting control is very tough.

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
Then what is the grip for offies? I just find leggies easier - the wrist movement just causes the ball to drift naturally out of your hand, and the spinning action with the the third and fourth finger just seems more natural and comfortable. This video really helped me:

Last edited by a moderator:

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
You would be one of the few that find leg spin easier :p The reason not many leggies make it to the next level is they struggle to control it. Off spin is a lot easier to control, I don't know if I have the grip right but I find my off spin to be the easiest to control by a long way.

riz7khan12

Panel of Selectors
That was a complete contradiction of yourself.
You say leg spin is easier to bowl, but then claim offies are easier to get right. You just said the're both the easier then the other.

maybe you should read it again ;)

legspin has a easier to do action while you can bowl accurately if you're a offspinner but the action is harder to master.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
The ideal offspin action is fidgety. High arm, land on front foot, pivot.

It's because a rubbish offspin action is equivalent to bowling slow cutters, if you want to get a lot of energy and revolutions behind the ball using just your fingers you need to get the whole action right. Look at guys like Swann, Ashwin, Randiv, Ajmal and Harbhajan when they bowl. They all have high arms when they release the ball (Ajmal's is bent, but yea), they pivot off their front foot and drive forward with their legs and hips when releasing the ball, trying to get all that energy into spinning the ball and firing it in.

For legspin, you can lazily amble up to the stumps and let it go, and get a decent about of turn and bounce. You don't need a very powerful action. You try that with offies and you get nothing. Viru ambles in, but he pivots off the front foot too and bowls it quite slow to rip it. The other names mentioned have very energetic actions. Gayle and Pathan amble in and let it go, and they don't get much turn, and fire the ball in using the amazing strength they have in their shoulders, chest and back. Raina has a tidy action too, not too energetic but not too lazy either.

Similarly, look at Vettori, and then contrast that energetic action to slow-pie chuckers like Yuvi and KP. KP is similar to Viru, and Yuvi if he wants to fire it in tends to sling it in and, again, uses his back and shoulders.

So in that sense, yea, Offspin requires more energy to bowl. You can be lazy and get away with accurate, non-threatening offspin at club level. Anyone can roll up and bowl a few overs off offies without wides/fulltosses. But try that at a higher level and you will get spanked, you need a lot of revolutions and energy behind the ball, to get bounce and drift and turn.

But for leggies, the problem is opposite. You'll get all that with a lazy action, you just need to work on landing it right.

So depends what level you're playing at. At club cricket, it's easier to say bowling offies are easier. But at international/domestic level, you could argue it's harder being an offie than a leggie (because by then you're likely to have reasonable control on where the ball lands either way, and thus it's about being able to bowl effectively for long).

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
You would be one of the few that find leg spin easier :p The reason not many leggies make it to the next level is they struggle to control it. Off spin is a lot easier to control, I don't know if I have the grip right but I find my off spin to be the easiest to control by a long way.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no expert - my experience is of bowling to a few friends (who are no experts either) at the park :p

Only that when I bowl leggies, they actually spin, and when I bowl offies, it's just a straight ball.

----------

Just found this video of Swann explaining his grip - is this how guys grip it as well? Might try it this way

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread