New Zealand tour of Zimbabwe Oct-Nov 2011/12

I do wish Zimbabwe could field their strongest available players, or put another way all players eligible and good enough were selected/available. To have players like Goodwin not playing, I think Ervine said he'd return then did a U-turn to focus on playing for Hampshire etc, would boost them no end. Without a bowler like Streak though they will struggle against most decent sides, the batting frail against decent attacks.

Zimbabwe's best players not making themselves available is nothing short of treason and is the only crime deserving of the death penalty imo. :mad

Zimbabwe's best players not making themselves available is nothing short of treason and is the only crime deserving of the death penalty imo. :mad

Well New Zealand are and have been without arguably their best FC bowler for the last several years, Andre Adams. In the English FC competition he took the most wickets last season, and the third most wickets this season.

Lou Vincent's definitely still good enough to be in our ODI set-up as well.

Well New Zealand are and have been without arguably their best FC bowler for the last several years, Andre Adams. In the English FC competition he took the most wickets last season, and the third most wickets this season.

Lou Vincent's definitely still good enough to be in our ODI set-up as well.

As a minnow-supporter, I'm more concerned about it happening to Zimbabwe than to New Zealand. However I don't see why the same definition of treason (and the same threatened punishment ;)) shouldn't apply to all countries.

By the way, if any English counties are found to be aiding and abetting these crimes, I would come down on them like a ton of bricks too!

Hopefully Williamson's been working on his bowling, if we're only going to be playing Vettori and three pace bowlers.

Brownlie, Guptill and Ryder can bowl if needed too :p

Hard to believe whether Nz selectors have done right picking BJ Watling. He has got a poor record in both one day and tests and strike rate looks awkward. I'd rather get a young Wagner 'case he's done really good. Perhaps they should have got O'Brien in there as well.

When is the NZ and ZIM squad for test matches going to be announced ?

LOL..this will be series between Vettori v/s Vitori, if both are selected and playing in the same match.
Not only similar sounding names, but both Left-arm bowlers too.

When is the NZ and ZIM squad for test matches going to be announced ?

LOL..this will be series between Vettori v/s Vitori, if both are selected and playing in the same match.
Not only similar sounding names, but both Left-arm bowlers too.

NZ's one has been announced, on the first page

As a minnow-supporter, I'm more concerned about it happening to Zimbabwe than to New Zealand. However I don't see why the same definition of treason (and the same threatened punishment ;)) shouldn't apply to all countries.

By the way, if any English counties are found to be aiding and abetting these crimes, I would come down on them like a ton of bricks too!

I think it is sad that cricketers put county cricket before playing for their country. Perhaps it is just a modern cultural thing, like rat boy neville saying that playing for England (football) was a "massive waste of time". They have more chance of winning for their club than country so choose the better prospect of winning as opposed to trying to improve their country's chances of winning - there and then, and in the future :mad

I do blame the counties, and the rules that allow so many foreigners to play in county cricket. Overseas player is a concept of the past, now it's just a Test player or more often several on short contracts adding to the saffers, zimmers, dutchmen etc who get in through the back door that is work permits and soft rules.

Hants have Goodwin (ZIM), McKenzie (SAF) and then Katich listed as their overseas player on BBC cricket. I've picked only players who have played for their countries so aren't English (qualified) Durham have Breese who I'm sure is West Indian, Benkenstein (SAF), Thorp (AUS) and Di Venuto (AUS) Is it any wonder they went from hapless johnny come latelies to county champions when they have so many mercs on their rosters?

Zimbabwe have had a couple of good months. Good to see them beat Bangaldesh so convincingly. Even against Pakistan, they looked pretty solid. Will be interesting to see if they can run NZL too close in this series,and they do have every chance of doing so.

P.S - I thought Vettori only stepped down from the ODI & T20 captaincy ? When did he give up on Test captaincy ?

Zimbabwe have had a couple of good months. Good to see them beat Bangaldesh so convincingly. Even against Pakistan, they looked pretty solid. Will be interesting to see if they can run NZL too close in this series,and they do have every chance of doing so.

P.S - I thought Vettori only stepped down from the ODI & T20 captaincy ? When did he give up on Test captaincy ?

He's having an extended break from ODIs and T20s and gave up the test captaincy when he did that

----------

Well, actually he said he was giving up the captaincy after the world cup for all forms and chose that time to announce that break

Lol, the 1st T20I goes from 1am - 4.30am our time. Surely they could have made it a D/N game over there so we could at least watch some of it, or do they not have floodlights or something?

Users who are viewing this thread