Not open for further replies.

Ajh1977

International Coach
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
From the first post "The game will be here in 2013.".

That is pretty unequivocal.

The choice of words is to create anticipation and preparation for the game this year I reckon.

Not matching those words with action is risking a serious backlash from those who read it as defnite.

----------

Just pointing out the release date information given from the developer is likely to be inaccurate and entering natural discussions as a result..

Wasn't aimed at you in particular, just the general wallyness of some people. Certainly when the first post was put up I thought 100% the game will be out 2013. I don't think Ross has confirmed it won't make that ring true, but if it doesn't, putting our frustrations aside, surely people following the game want what's best for bigant, so as to secure a legacy for future versions, or am I wrong? Do people just want a cricket game now? Regardless of future progression? So next year instead of looking forward to DB15 we're waiting for either trickster to fegan another game up, or EA throwing out a huge cash grab with licenses? As I look at it, I don't owe Ross anything, and he definitely doesn't owe me anything, but I respect what he's trying to do, and ill give him the time to do it before I make judgement on what went wrong.

Ajh1977

International Coach
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
EA actually own the ICC license; they're just not using it. Not sure when it expires.

That's what I was getting at barmy, they could throw out a game with licenses any time, and have the budgets to do so, but as EA aren't exactly cricket people ( aren't they Canadian or American) it's better for cricket fans to have a game made by cricket fans for cricket fans?

ElPrez

School Cricketer
A few things I have been wondering. What would have happened if Ashes had released and had actually been a good game? Would that have been better or worse for Big Ant than the current situation?

thefonz

Banned
Well I would question the wisdom of reading any release date as definite. GTA5 still seemed to sell okay despite the backlash from their game being 6 months late.
The game may still release this year; I just would like to think that people would show understanding as to why it might slip to 2014 rather than make a fuss about it.
Also what exactly are our other options here? We've not had a cricket game for 4 years and without DB14 all we'd have is Ashes Cricket.

I think with GTA it was put back for technical reasons.

That is one of the normal reasons for game delays (e.g. Ashes cricket 2013 also)

This is more of a possibility of a reason lacking credibility - I mean not wanting to go over the same ground again, but given the fact we are in the middle of the Ashes and near xmas would you not say this is the best time to release?

Surely any neutral observer can see that. The excuse that Ashes has stopped people buying cricket games seems far fetched. I mean, would you not buy a game from Konami because EA made a bad game? If anything it would seem more likely that another game would sell more - and it certainly won't sell without being released.

Either Bigant have questionable judgement or there is something else going on. I can't believe that it is finished personally. Bigant just want to hype the game as long as possible and buy time for updates.

Maybe this game is not all it is hyped up to be. I just want to see a balanced discussion and not more promotional hype with a release date that may or may not be valid.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
A few things I have been wondering. What would have happened if Ashes had released and had actually been a good game? Would that have been better or worse for Big Ant than the current situation?

Interesting question, if AC2013 was a good game, probably worse.. But AC2013 being not even a functioning game and making the papers was infinitely worse.. Ideally they would have liked to have seen an average game that doesn't get much publicity or change much..

I don't know if the game was ready before AC2013 came out, but if it was then I have no sympathy for their current situation. First mover advantage is high school stuff.. Nobody could have foreseen the events of last week, but a game sat in a warehouse while they try and drum up support on here and on facebook, when they know full well there hasn't been a decent cricket game for over ten years, doesn't hold much truck with me.. If the game isn't ready, well then fair enough I hope they are still working hard on it..

Another thing I hadn't realized, by next year the transition to PS4 and Xbox One will be happening, and this game will be released on old hardware..

Last edited:

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
This is more of a possibility of a reason lacking credibility - I mean not wanting to go over the same ground again, but given the fact we are in the middle of the Ashes and near xmas would you not say this is the best time to release?

Surely any neutral observer can see that. The excuse that Ashes has stopped people buying cricket games seems far fetched.

I mean, would you not buy a game from Konami because EA made a bad game? If anything it would seem more likely that another game would sell more - and it certainly won't sell without being released.

You see, this is where you just have no clue what you're talking about. The situation is much more complex than you think it is. The only reason you think you know the answer is that you don't really understand the question.

Either Bigant have questionable judgement or there is something else going on. I can't believe that it is finished personally. Bigant just want to hype the game as long as possible and buy time for updates.

This is very, very silly. Not being insulting here, but are you an adult? A lot of posts on here would make more sense if they were coming from teenagers.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
by next year the transition to PS4 and Xbox One will be happening, and this game will be released on old hardware..

This is a good point. Most people will sell their PS3 in order to fund a PS4 and very few will hang on to theirs. Also I can't see many people buying a PS3 game having played the PS4.

I'm sure the 'Marketing experts' have taken this into account though.

thefonz

Banned
You see, this is where you just have no clue what you're talking about. The situation is much more complex than you think it is. The only reason you think you know the answer is that you don't really understand the question.

Ok think about it this way - if a (soccer) football game was cancelled in October should another game wait until June at the end of the football season to release?

You have been convinced into believing there is complexity where there is not - games sell more at xmas and cricket games sell (in UK and Australia)
during the ashes.

To suggest otherwise is bordering on silly . There is no "magical day" where everyone suddenly decides to buy cricket games again. Saying I don't know what I'm talking about when you are obviously just talking aimlessly is a waste of time.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
We're told that the basis of the decision is "when is the best time to release?". The fact that there was a working build at the play session makes it unlikely that they're stalling and trying to buy time (but not impossible) so therefore it all comes down to a judgement of releasing during Ashes series versus damage to brand done by abortive AC13 release.
I've given my opinion and I would be surprised if the advice Ross is getting is delay the game till 2014 but should that outcome occur I would understand the reasoning.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Ok think about it this way - if a (soccer) football game was cancelled in October should another game wait until June at the end of the football season to release?

You have been convinced into believing there is complexity where there is not - games sell more at xmas and cricket games sell (in UK and Australia)
during the ashes.

To suggest otherwise is bordering on silly . There is no "magical day" where everyone suddenly decides to buy cricket games again. Saying I don't know what I'm talking about when you are obviously just talking aimlessly is a waste of time.

All those suppositions are valid but, as Ross has made clear, this comes down mostly to retailers not consumers and it's not the best time to release if no-one is prepared to stock it.
I think a well pitched education program ought to the job because, as you say, there seem to be too many advantages to a Dec 2013 release to ignore.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Surely any neutral observer can see that. The excuse that Ashes has stopped people buying cricket games seems far fetched. I mean, would you not buy a game from Konami because EA made a bad game? If anything it would seem more likely that another game would sell more - and it certainly won't sell without being released.
Konami and EA are well known quantities, Big Ant are unknown and trying to start a series.

505 made reference to it in their cancelling of the game Trickstar and the 'Ashes Cricket' brand were the "safe pair of hands" - that despite the change in publisher from Codemasters to 505 Games, it was a familiar product in the marketplace.

If Big Ant's game was just another one in their series, then what happened with AC13 wouldn't matter, they would have their own reputation in the cricket games market to point back to.

Because they don't, they already were going to have a hard time establishing a position in the market - but it's even harder to be a new player in a market that had just been trashed.

Obviously right now is the absolute prime time for a cricket game to release, but they don't release in a vacuum.

I know they have the quality product to back things up, because I've played it.

----------

it's not the best time to release if no-one is prepared to stock it.
Considering EB Games are taking pre-orders with boxes on the shelves, I'm sure they are willing to stock it.

I could see benefits to a limited release.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Considering EB Games are taking pre-orders with boxes on the shelves, I'm sure they are willing to stock it.

I could see benefits to a limited release.

Indeed, like I said a few days back I wouldn't be surprised if Australia & New Zealand get it first this year and everyone else early next year.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
This is a good point. Most people will sell their PS3 in order to fund a PS4 and very few will hang on to theirs. Also I can't see many people buying a PS3 game having played the PS4.

I'm sure the 'Marketing experts' have taken this into account though.

I hope their marketing team realize that you can't play PS3 games on a PS4 like you could play PS2 games on a PS3. As of, well about now, fewer and fewer people will have Xboxes and PS3's.. The game needs to release yesterday actually, and the ones shelling out the money are the ones with this opinion..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread