DBC 17 Batting

chaman82

County Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Good thread about just batting.
So I think all agree about the off side arc missing.

What about the missing backfoot shots.
Backfoot play on the short of good length balls?
It's not there.

Views on this anyone.

Also want to highlight once again the batting problem in pro cam(no HUD) here as it's a dedicated thread for batting.

.Problem with the head camera movement

.Sight screen problem during day time (2pm start)with white ball. The reflection makes both side of sight screen greyish white in colour. This results in seeing the ball extremely difficult when bowler balls wide of the stump.
. Overall the pro cam feels better in dbc14.
I keep playing the 2 games back to back just to check and dbc17 needs improvement in this regard.

Last edited:

karolkarol

International Cricketer
Profile Flag
Ireland (Cricket)
I have been trying to hit fine leg glance for last two hours. This is definitely not in the game.

It is certainly in the PC demo, I've just been doing it myself. What i will say though is that it seems pretty impossible to play it without the precision button. You can nurdle to fine leg with the precision button easily and you can smash in the air with both precision and 6 hit button, if you're in the red late timing wise it goes much much finer. Been doing this off both short pitch and yorkers for the past 20 minutes.

Not the finest I've hit but you'd need more fingers than an Applachian banjo player to get a perfect screen grab while playing the shot.

Leg Glance.jpg

Last edited:

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I'll look more into this at work on Monday - but some wagon wheels from longer matches you've played would be nice to see.

Matt, here's the wagon wheel as you asked. I've uploaded the wagon wheel for an entire innings in which I scored around 190. I purposely played all right handers in the match so wagon wheel would be consistent. As you can see there are 4 main zones which I'm able to hit to...

1. Extra cover/Wide off region - This is where all the cover drives/off drives go.
2. Square Leg region - This is where all the flicks/glance go.
3. Mid Wkt - This where most of the pull/hook (front & back foot) go.
4. Square Gully - This is where cut shots go but again not against spinners as the wkt keeper literally jumps 5-6 feet and snaffles a well hit shot.
5. Straight - This is where you can hit straight drives but only against fast bowler. Against spinners you can't hit straight drives as spinners stop nearly everything.

The wagon wheel clearly shows the following areas which are inaccessible...

A. Cover region from extra cover to cover point/point
B. Fine Leg/Square Leg region behind square on the leg side. The lone boundary behind the wkt keeper was a top edged hook shot and not an intentional one.
C. Third Man area where you should be able to glide the ball for a single.

Note: One other area which needs to be investigated is the AI fielding. It's too conservative/lax. You can hit a shot straight to the fielder and take a single and take 2 when you hit to a fielder in the deep. Generally you are able to take one extra run per shot which takes away from the batting experience.

I will update the OP as well to include the wagon wheel.

Wagon Wheel.jpg

Liam hughes

Club Cricketer
I have noticed cover drives and straight drives and flicks to the onside are a lot better when using the aggressive ground triggers. I've been playing career and my player has about 50 driving and an aggressive mentality. I've beat fielders on the ring when I've timed it perfect.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
I have noticed cover drives and straight drives and flicks to the onside are a lot better when using the aggressive ground triggers. I've been playing career and my player has about 50 driving and an aggressive mentality. I've beat fielders on the ring when I've timed it perfect.

That may be so but don't you think standard cover/square drives through covers and standard leg glances & flicks to fine/long leg should be in the game? Aren't these shots basic bread & butter shots in international cricket? By the way I did try playing aggressive cover drive (with R2/L2 pressed) but I wasn't able to hit the shot any squarer than extra cover. Shots such as straight drive, cover drive, off drive, square drive, on drive, glide to 3rd man, cut, hook/pull, glances and flicks (from long leg to widish mid on) are staple shots in cricket and should be in the game as such without pressing triggers.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
The loading menu stuff suggests you can remove the length marker but I haven't found out where to do it. Any help?

Liam hughes

Club Cricketer
That may be so but don't you think standard cover/square drives through covers and standard leg glances & flicks to fine/long leg should be in the game? Aren't these shots basic bread & butter shots in international cricket? By the way I did try playing aggressive cover drive (with R2/L2 pressed) but I wasn't able to hit the shot any squarer than extra cover. Shots such as straight drive, cover drive, off drive, square drive, on drive, glide to 3rd man, cut, hook/pull, glances and flicks (from long leg to widish mid on) are staple shots in cricket and should be in the game as such without pressing triggers.
Oh yeah definitely, but I was just saying it trying to make it a bit better for people who haven't tried that. I thought the batting in dbc 14 was pretty much on the money, I'm surprised it's been changed so much! I really miss the square drive haha

LittleBigPlanet

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
@cricket_online I've noticed this time round some things that have really impressed me about batting, like how much better the batman's hand are eg: they now play with there hands much more tucked in especially while driving the ball, previously they would play with there hands 2 foot away from there body (which looked unco) now everything is much more alligned correctly (rl technically correct). I do have some screenshots on my ps4 of a batsman playing a cover drive, which I believe is a perfect illustration of how well rounded that particular shot is and also demonstrates how much of the offside it should technically open up ie; from mid off to 3rd man. All that would be needed IMO is a few little tweaks of this particular cover drive animation for it to open up the entire off side!
I'll try to upload some pics soon, but if all else fails I might have to resort to mobile pics haha!

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
@cricket_online I've noticed this time round some things that have really impressed me about batting, like how much better the batman's hand are eg: they now play with there hands much more tucked in especially while driving the ball, previously they would play with there hands 2 foot away from there body (which looked unco) now everything is much more alligned correctly (rl technically correct). I do have some screenshots on my ps4 of a batsman playing a cover drive, which I believe is a perfect illustration of how well rounded that particular shot is and also demonstrates how much of the offside it should technically open up ie; from mid off to 3rd man. All that would be needed IMO is a few little tweaks of this particular cover drive animation for it to open up the entire off side!
I'll try to upload some pics soon, but if all else fails I might have to resort to mobile pics haha!

I agree that the animation of the cover drive/off drive is there but right now the drive doesn't go squarer than extra cover. If Big Ant can tweak the areas we can hit the drive to, it would be a great addition. Same with flicks/glances to Long Leg/Fine Leg area on the leg side and maybe add the glide to 3rd man to complete the all-around wagon wheel.

chaman82

County Cricketer
The sweep shot.
Unable to connect the ball which is outside off stump.

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Below is my wagon wheel when I was batting as India. Was all out for 170 runs, front foot looked okay to me except for some shots where it selected to play leg glance for bouncer instead of pull. I haven't been comfortable in backfoot but I always have nightmare on backfoot though.

Attachments

• Desktop 12.17.2016 - 23.31.48.02.png
    Desktop 12.17.2016 - 23.31.48.02.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 309

acrcmb

School Cricketer
Hey guys i tried bumping the batting down again to easiest and now seem to be able to play a lot more 360 than on the higher difficulties, it's almost like the shot restriction is a method they've used for upping the sense of difficulty, on the lower difficulty i feel like it's a lot more nuanced, i can cover drive and hit backward of square like in DBC14, it's weird on the higher difficulty it was saying my timing and shoot selection were still perfect but i had nowhere near the variation of scoring shots, it's so much better now it's a little easy but you still have to keep your discipline or you'll get out, still it's way better than before, just scored 394 in my provincial debut had to restrain myself a bit more, a couple of times i got frustrated with balls going to fielders and strayed from my usual shots and edged a few but then i just stuck to my shots for each bowler and set little targets for myself, I thought the match was a wash anyway they set 500 in the first innings, I got out 8 runs short of wiping their lead and my team added some more but it was the 3rd day by that point but then my bowlers got them out cheaply and i came out and hit a quick 50 to win the match just before the end of the 3rd day. This games really good when you feel like you've got that level of batting control.

Users who are viewing this thread