Ashes Cricket General Discussion

sheharyar

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Bowling and batting both struggling big time and no patches out as well, I think I cant even get a refund as have played more hours then eligible for refund. Really disappointed.... I think all I can do is just wait and expect a miracle to happen.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
For dbc14 I often used to say the game was like making out with a stunning lingerie model and then suddenly realising she's got a bigger Adam's apple than you... in today's world that may be considered "transphobic"* so let's say it's like eating a sublime meal and suddenly finding there was a worm in it... all 3 games have been identical in that respect, they've just had different worms.

Yesterday I had a fantastic moment in a tough chase. Having recovered from a jittery start chasing 438 I'd posted a 100+ 5th wicket partnership, when there was a huge shout for lbw that I thought looked stone dead, given not out. No reviews in my format but I went to ball tracking, hit just inside the line and taking out middle and off. Checked the replay, and I've been saved by a thin edge off the inside bottom corner of the bat... phew. What a moment, what a game.

That player, in the 60s or 70s at the time went on to make an unbeaten 228* and take me to a tense 1 wicket win. Amazing.

Except... the 4th inns bowling AI is utterly broken. They change the field much more often than than first 3 inns, often every ball. Worse, they don't attack even with 438 on the ball. Worse, they start attacking when your batsman passes 25 and keep attacking when he's passed 200 and there's 30 to win. He was facing a more aggressive field when 130-odd than a batsman who'd just come to the crease after the fall of a wicket. And batting is definitely much much easier - sure it was a favourable batting track and I certainly got some edges (including the one that saved my lbw!) but you never felt there was one with your name on it like in 14 and 17. It was a sense of concentrate, accumulate, and you'll chase this down. (I was 9 down in part thanks to 2 stupid run outs, and other mistakes like playing back to a full ball and getting castled, and deciding a first ball slog made a lot of sense.)

I've been banging on about the broken 4th innings AI since dbc17 and all through the beta. As @Dutch said there is little or nothing people are bringung up that wasnt discussed or flagged in beta, often at great length.

*2014 - simpler time.

Totally agree on the fourth innings. And to sound like a stuck record my sneaking suspicion would be that it is linked to batsman confidence not match situation. This would probably be why you get a lot of attacking fields at late stages of Odi and T20.

My edges have reduced by at 50% since i have put the square drive in the locker.

In test matches and for 35-40 overs of an Odi. I don't play anything other than 'normal' two stick shots apart from defensive blocks in test match and when a batsman is confident in ODI aggressive shots. You'll get the odd one that catches the edge and flies off to the slips and had a couple that of fired back to the bowler (probably bad footwork or not pushing def button down enough). I really think if someone had the discipline and patience you could play a defensive shot and bat for five days with a score of 0/0 (excluding extras) because there's nothing very surprising after the ball pitches.

The biggest struggle I've had with batting is with no batting markers at all. Problem with that is above 80mph I can't see the ball and it becomes guess work. Maybe realistic but not fun at all. I said yesterday after the ball pitches it seems to just float through. I could play around with the modifiers but I really don't want to. I think you should be able to play the vanilla game and get a good experience.

For me I think one solution would be to have subtle differences for when batting markers appear depending on confidence and skill level.

General question is it possible to reduce the time when the pitch marker appears using the modifiers?

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
You can play an odd backfoot shot, especially the through Point but it is rare. On the whole batting off the backfoot is quite under-powered and feels nerfed. I'm not saying DBC 14 was perfect and didn't have its issues but to me it was the closest to being the perfect cricket game, and in fact if DBC 14 base was carried over for the other iterations, we would be in a far better position.

Some of the nuances DBC 14 captured so well - difference in difficulties (from Amateur to Legend), batting, changing length via RS, catching using RS and dropped catches, career mode with correct stats and reward for better performance (you skilled more after better performances) - etc. were spot on. I still don't understand how we could've taken a step or two back in some or most of these areas despite two more iterations of the game since DBC 14. I simply don't see enough progress for the franchise since DBC 14 days and that's frustrating to see as a cricket gaming fan.
Backfoot drive through point is probably my new favourite shot.

Victoria50

School Cricketer
Do the batsman fend off in the game cause I haven't had one yet
With the pitch the cracks have to be more realistic and do something in the game exmaple stay low or bounce high
There needs to be more rough on day 4-5 pitches
Have different types of outfield fast and slow

balkeet

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Just delete decals, profile folders i guess and remember unselect the steam cloud check box.

deleted decal files only, not the profile folder and steam cloud check box and got 9 wickets in 3 day club game. Amazing how decals folder could limit AI edges.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Backfoot drive through point is probably my new favourite shot.

It is and it's a shame i can't play it more often just like the backfoot glance. More often than not the ugly cut shot where the batsman moves across the stumps like a tailender, or the pull/hook shot comes into play. Would love it if all the shot animations - cuts, pulls/hooks, glances, backfoot drives etc. - show up regularly.

eaglesrjh

School Cricketer
anyone who plays career mode think declarations are very aggressive?

I've had a couple of games now where the captain has declared in my mind pretty early and at a point i'm sure would not happen for real.

current example.

weather fine, no real risk of rain reduction

Bowled hampshire out for 150 in 44.3 overs, so less than halfway thru day 1 of 4.
Our captain declares on 410-3 from 82.1 overs, so we are still morning of day 2, okay it's a 260 run lead but looking at county cricket in general nearly all captains would have batted quite as bit longer to try to ensure not having to bat again.

also makes me worry that the issue from DBC17 is still there and that the decleration is set at x number of runs ahead, and theres a chance that if you bowl a side out very cheap first up then captain will end up declaring before getting all bonus points. for example bowl opponents out for 55, captain then declares at 320-4 despite 2 more batting points being on offer.

Hester

County Cricketer
It's dawned on me today why the male batters all have mini bodies. It's because of women being included and the developers haven't made separate templates for the batters. So, the male batters are all slim waisted, narrow shouldered dwarfs with massive heads.

Just compared them to the previous versions of the game. In dbc 14 through to dbc 17, the batters are all normal height with normal bodies.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
It's dawned on me today why the male batters all have mini bodies. It's because of women being included and the developers haven't made separate templates for the batters. So, the male batters are all slim waisted, narrow shouldered dwarfs with massive heads.

Just compared them to the previous versions of the game. In dbc 14 through to dbc 17, the batters are all normal height with normal bodies.
They have different models for men and women, this is why the kits can't be transferred.

stevesmithGOAT

School Cricketer
Hi guys, just got the game. How should I go about updating the sides? Was downloading from @Llewelynf. But it says that I have X logo already, or I have Y player on-disc already, while quick downloading multiple teams. Do I replace the new player with current or stick with current? I don't know how all this linking and all works so a bit confused. thanks.

Spoobir

Thread of the Month March 2018

Can you like, take a screenshot of your game or something? I really want to see if all your players look like dwarfs...

Hester

County Cricketer
Can you like, take a screenshot of your game or something? I really want to see if all your players look like dwarfs...

It's not all the players but the batsmen specifically. You can see it most easily as they walk out to bat at the start of a game. I'm on xbox and don't have a clue how to upload a screenshot onto here...

Users who are viewing this thread