Cricket 19 General Discussion

gideon_swrd

Club Captain
Visited the forums after a while and was pleasantly surprised to see that a new patch has been released! didn't expect that. Great job BA.

Quick q - has the AI field placements been improved in this patch? :fingers crossed: I didn't spot that in the patch notes but am hoping they addressed it given the number of complaints about a seemingly simple fix.

Gamefroggy

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Visited the forums after a while and was pleasantly surprised to see that a new patch has been released! didn't expect that. Great job BA.

Quick q - has the AI field placements been improved in this patch? :fingers crossed: I didn't spot that in the patch notes but am hoping they addressed it given the number of complaints about a seemingly simple fix.
From what I have experienced it did. The annoying and most frustrating thing in the game is the stupid fielding mistakes. There is still the loopy return throws and wicket keeper that squats with bouncer deliveries. Sometimes the fielders stand there like zombies when the ball just rolls past them. Rest of the game is still good

sashu_91

County Cricketer

Yes very much improved, now you have to look for gaps and loft or drive, it is good, although I played one match with AI bowling with wrong field, other than that match it's quite good in my exp.[DOUBLEPOST=1602995961][/DOUBLEPOST]
Offline is already at its best so online needs some focus now
Feel really bad for you, online is buggy I agree, but we want more improvement to AI. Lol

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I’m sure either at release or in a earlier build the AI used all rounders more frequently.

The weighting of bowling choice is definitely under-using all founders and more weight should be given to ability.

Edit: this is not a change by the current patch, FWIW. I don’t think this build touched it. But it’s something to look at.

Little Timmy

Little Timmy
Profile Flag
England
Boundary fielding seems to have improved. Players are putting a bit more effort in. Obviously we press a button to flick it back but they seem more likely to actually do it. Just a minor observation.

That and better batting intent from AI as well as you know what are my obs so far. Enjoying the new challenge but my drives/cuts often end somewhere between both. Played a T20 last night and their keeper took 8 catches! There’s no (Or less) leg side get out clause now.

The thrill of bowling on this game remains so good though. Bowled a beautiful inswinging delivery by a left-armer to a RHB that clipped the top of off stump. Spin bowling’s great too. Whether it’s knocking over stumps, LBW or edges, that’s what’s great about this game. I still find bowling more enjoyable than batting which is something I never would’ve anticipated.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I’m sure either at release or in a earlier build the AI used all rounders more frequently.

The weighting of bowling choice is definitely under-using all founders and more weight should be given to ability.

Edit: this is not a change by the current patch, FWIW. I don’t think this build touched it. But it’s something to look at.

And following on from this: "change" bowlers (i.e. those not set as opening bowlers), and part-timers (i.e. batting all rounders) should be heavily weighted for bowling change selections between overs 65-79 in test matches ("resting" new ball bowlers).

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner

I do feel like designation has little too much influence - certainly for bowling all rounders. I would them expect to bowl as much as bowlers. I've changed how I've been doing my players to make someone like Joe Root a batting all rounder. Probably more accurate to describe him as a part timer but they game doesn't take that into account. Can't say my batting necessarily warrants the AI bowling part timers but if you're racking up the runs i'd want to get the sense the AI is trying anything rather than just the standard rotation of 4 or 5 bowlers.

Agree on the pre-new ball (if there are two set batsman) that your back up and change bowlers would be used.

In ODI I think you get your 5th and 6th bowlers bowling in the last 10 overs a little too much.

In tests I would like to see more balance based on conditions or country. So spinners used more in sub-continent conditions. I'm sure when I set up for a 'spinners' pitch the AI will end up bowling seamers for 20 overs and on 'seamers' pitches the spinner will be on sooner.

Bill Greensmith

Club Captain
I do feel like designation has little too much influence - certainly for bowling all rounders. I would them expect to bowl as much as bowlers. I've changed how I've been doing my players to make someone like Joe Root a batting all rounder. Probably more accurate to describe him as a part timer but they game doesn't take that into account. Can't say my batting necessarily warrants the AI bowling part timers but if you're racking up the runs i'd want to get the sense the AI is trying anything rather than just the standard rotation of 4 or 5 bowlers.

Agree on the pre-new ball (if there are two set batsman) that your back up and change bowlers would be used.

In ODI I think you get your 5th and 6th bowlers bowling in the last 10 overs a little too much.

In tests I would like to see more balance based on conditions or country. So spinners used more in sub-continent conditions. I'm sure when I set up for a 'spinners' pitch the AI will end up bowling seamers for 20 overs and on 'seamers' pitches the spinner will be on sooner.

You can also raise a batsman's bowling ability by using the skills. So someone might be a batter but all their skill are bowling ones.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England

It’s very noticeable when one of the AIs best bowlers is an all rounder. So if you think I’m playing early 90s I’m talking Kapil Dev for India, Chris Cairns for NZ. One work around I’ve found is designating them as bowlers and maxing their batting and using batting perks, but it’s not ideal.

This is one area where you feel the “AI” logic should be relatively easy (i.e. relative to field selection, attack/contain strategy etc.) since I’m assuming it’s just weighting probability of a fairly random selection.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
It’s very noticeable when one of the AIs best bowlers is an all rounder. So if you think I’m playing early 90s I’m talking Kapil Dev for India, Chris Cairns for NZ. One work around I’ve found is designating them as bowlers and maxing their batting and using batting perks, but it’s not ideal.

This is one area where you feel the “AI” logic should be relatively easy (i.e. relative to field selection, attack/contain strategy etc.) since I’m assuming it’s just weighting probability of a fairly random selection.
Yeah, I think I changed up how I did it after the lockdown tournament. I'd initially gone to setting them as bowlers (Ashwin, Woakes, Kapil, Hadlee) so I could maximise what I would consider their primary role to be. Then I changed how I did the perks, so I use them to boost rather than just additions. Most of my players might have 3 or 4 but someone like Stokes has all of them so I can boost his batting and bowling. Likewise, I can give Smith and Root the rating for their bowling I want and then just give boost batting with a couple of extra perks, but they might at least bowl a few overs as batting all rounders instead of none.

I'd prefer a system where players just have skills suitable for them and you don't need to have to boost them or change the designation to fit. I could probably write a novel with my views about the way skills work.

Little Timmy

Little Timmy
Profile Flag
England
Hi guys

Just got back into playing the game pre-patch after a little break. Really enjoyed some competitive games following the changes.

Please can somebody help me though? I’ll admit I’ve had a reply to this before but...

I can’t for the life of me see how I can choose the colour of my team’s batting/wicketkeeping gloves. I can do everything else but there just isn’t an option. I don’t get it!

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Hi guys

Just got back into playing the game pre-patch after a little break. Really enjoyed some competitive games following the changes.

Please can somebody help me though? I’ll admit I’ve had a reply to this before but...

I can’t for the life of me see how I can choose the colour of my team’s batting/wicketkeeping gloves. I can do everything else but there just isn’t an option. I don’t get it!
You have to change to option 4 (you have like manufacturer 1-5) under that, option 4 allows customisation of colours. I'm in bed or I'd get a screenshot.

Little Timmy

Little Timmy
Profile Flag
England
Another question despite being a long time user!

When selecting commentary name, is there still no way of clicking to the first name of each letter like in previous games? Or am I missing something?

I know that I can change surname, match and then change surname again but it seems an odd feature to have got rid of.

Many thanks

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Another question despite being a long time user!

When selecting commentary name, is there still no way of clicking to the first name of each letter like in previous games? Or am I missing something?

I know that I can change surname, match and then change surname again but it seems an odd feature to have got rid of.

Many thanks
One of the sticks, right I think, skips to next letter.

Users who are viewing this thread