Politics Discussion (India)

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I'm not a law expert but this is what the summary is:

- Found guilty in a 2019 defamation case.
- Convicted & sentenced to 2 yrs imprisonment under section 499 & 500.
- Sentence suspended & granted bail for 30 days, allowing to appeal judgement in higher courts.
- Automatic disqualification from the parliament from the time of conviction.
- Won't be able to contest elections for 2 + 6 yrs.

All this is just because he uttered a few sentences that the complainant said has defamed him.

Rahul Gandhi's lawyer says that there has been a lot of things overlooked and the case doesn't stand at all, because the complainant is ineligible to file a case as he is not directly affected in this defamation. Even the jurisdiction of the case is questionable under section 202.

The complainant had asked for 'stay' in the case in the High Court and waited for 4 yrs before he went back and withdraw his appeal for 'stay' and expedite the case.

2 yrs sentence is the maximum sentence which can be given to someone and the lawyers says the judge handed over the maximum sentence without a second thought.

There is a rule in 'representation of people act' which says any conviction and sentence of 2 or more years will result in automatic disqualification. Rahul Gandhi and opposition were planning to question the govt. on Adani scam and demand for JPC Probe. But instead, they disqualified the opposition face.

All attention is over Rahul Gandhi and Adani Scam is no where in the news. Adani is believed to be a close friend of PM of India.

Absolutely hilarious that this happens when BJP’s own folk have said far more damaging things in general without any hint of prosecution. Time to apply this precedent to everyone then.

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Absolutely hilarious that this happens when BJP’s own folk have said far more damaging things in general without any hint of prosecution. Time to apply this precedent to everyone then.
If they do that 90% of the politicians will be in jail, including the top brass of BJP.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
If they do that 90% of the politicians will be in jail, including the top brass of BJP.
50% of the BJP's current top brass is all ex-Congress. Funny how cases against certain people stopped once they joined hands with the BJP.

Frankly, very tired of these petty politics by the BJP. Hoping for a strong Congress/Even AAP for the coming years.

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
50% of the BJP's current top brass is all ex-Congress. Funny how cases against certain people stopped once they joined hands with the BJP.

Frankly, very tired of these petty politics by the BJP. Hoping for a strong Congress/Even AAP for the coming years.
Actually there are only 2 people in that 'top brass' who are 'ruling' BJP.
Post automatically merged:

AAP is a very good option but unfortunately BJP has set narrative against them, the very own existence of AAP is due to anti-corruption stands and their top leader is arrested on corruption charges.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Any opinions on Bharat Jodo Yatra organized by Congress?

Ground reports shows Rahul Gandhi's image has improved significantly among the people as the BJY's main motive was to bypass mainstream media and connect with general public directly. BJP has tried to find faults and mistakes to malign the image of the Rahul again and the yatra itself (like covid transmission, luxurious stay arrangements for the yatris etc...) but this time Congress has smartly managed to overcome this.

There has been huge crowd gathering in each state through which the BJY passed, specially the BJP ruled states like Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh and UP. But I don't think that's any indication of people turnout for such yatra converting to votes in elections. Congress even invited many important personalities from across various fields/industry and them joining the Yatra was a validation of a sort. With this huge success, Congress is planning to organise another yatra later this year starting from West to East of India.

Rahul Gandhi's public speech and press conferences seems to be very much improved and effective. Talking about real issues like unemployment, inflation, communalism etc.. are on point. Even the cadre that seemed demotivated and dead are now alive and energised. I feel whatever they are doing seem to be working to conne with people better. But this is not enough to win in 2024. They'll have to continue this way and prepare for 2029 and win all the state election leading up to 2029.
In any modern democracy, defamation should not be a criminal offence, but a civil tort.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Why aren’t the assembly elections in Jammu and Kashmir not being held?

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
Even though trends show that Karnataka is looking for a change, I feel status quo will be maintained.

Bevab

Staff Member
Even though trends show that Karnataka is looking for a change, I feel status quo will be maintained.

I was in Bangalore over the weekend, from the looks of the support for our supreme leader’s two day rally I‘d be surprised if the state flipped.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
But why do the Supreme Beard & Balding Gujju Eagle need to involve themselves in the Assembly elections to this extent?

Proves they have too much to lose there? I think it will be a closely contested battle ground. Bangalore may not sway much, however, the other cities within Karnataka may swing the tide in Congress' favour.
Post automatically merged:

Why aren’t the assembly elections in Jammu and Kashmir not being held?
J&K was dissolved as a State. Instead you have 2 separate Union Territories. Hence, you will find no more elections. Rather the Centre will appoint Governor LT General's/or similar to manage the administration.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
2 top-class verdicts by the Supreme Court today. CJI DY Chandrachud notes that:

1. Delhi vs LG: The elected authority would have control over the services and not the LG
2. Maharashtra Crisis: The BJP appointed governor was wrong in calling for a floor test. Governors should not be solving inter and intra-party disputes. ad theCM Thackerey not resigned, the Supreme Court could have re-appointed Thackerey to the said position.

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
2 top-class verdicts by the Supreme Court today. CJI DY Chandrachud notes that:

1. Delhi vs LG: The elected authority would have control over the services and not the LG
2. Maharashtra Crisis: The BJP appointed governor was wrong in calling for a floor test. Governors should not be solving inter and intra-party disputes. ad theCM Thackerey not resigned, the Supreme Court could have re-appointed Thackerey to the said position.
In the 2nd judgement, it could'vev gone either way. If UT had faced the floor test and lost, the SC would've given the reason saying 'You lost the floor test, how can we reinstate you?'

Why should UT faction bear the consequences of errors from governors side? Governor was constitutionally incorrect and was working for a party and not as a neutral institution. When half of your MLAs have revolted against you and you know you would lose the trust vote, why would you still continue with the test? The result is obvious to everyone.

In Karnataka, when 20 MLAs defected to BJP and Congress+JDS went to SC, they said that it's constitutional process and cannot interfere so they even rejected the pleas to disqualify the defected MLAs. And for the record CM of Karnataka Mr. Kumaraswamy HAD faced floor test and lost. Does this mean he should've been reinstated because the revolt was not fair for Kumaraswamy?

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Coming to Karnataka election, BJP will lose the state but no clear conscience to any party. Although Congress has an edge. Supreme leader and balded mastermind visited Karnataka for campaigns more than the collective count in the past 5 years.

When Karnataka drowned due to heavy rains across the state, or when there was so many Covid deaths, they didn't visit even one time to check how people of Karnataka are doing. Now they have visited more than 20 times in last 20 days while Manipur was burning.

Ground Report is that BJP will lose seats in Hyderabad Karnataka, Mumbai Karnataka and Greater Bangalore. The regions where they wept last time, though Greater Bangalore was shared equally between BJP & Congress. BJP will retain costal Karnataka, thanks to communal issues like Hijab Ban, PFI ban, and murder of few boys from both the religion. Communally active region is a stronghold for BJP anywhere in India.

There is no CM candidates in Karnataka while their current CM seems to be a rubber stamp (as they accuse congress for multiple reasons, I got to call this a rubber stamp cm state which makes me happy, lol), Lingayats feel betrayed by the way they treated BS Yedurappa and sacking almost all the strong BJP Lingayat leaders and have tickets to Brahmins. It's Brahmins vs Lingayat in the state which is a very big concern for BJP.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
In Karnataka, when 20 MLAs defected to BJP and Congress+JDS went to SC, they said that it's constitutional process and cannot interfere so they even rejected the pleas to disqualify the defected MLAs. And for the record CM of Karnataka Mr. Kumaraswamy HAD faced floor test and lost. Does this mean he should've been reinstated because the revolt was not fair for Kumaraswamy?
BJP is afraid of Chandrachud. The man has openly challenged them to not to bring their dirty politics into the judiciary.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
When Karnataka drowned due to heavy rains across the state, or when there was so many Covid deaths, they didn't visit even one time to check how people of Karnataka are doing. Now they have visited more than 20 times in last 20 days while Manipur was burning.
True that. I also feel they will lose their other states viz Maharashtra, MP soon. Bringing in Modi for the state wasn't the wisest decision, especially given that it collided with the NEET.

State perspective, they will end up losing as the Hindutva policies haven't brought in much development.

Back to Karnataka I do feel Congress will form the government. However,the question lingers- who will be CM? I think it might be DK Shiva Kumar with HD Devegowda as Deputy CM.

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
True that. I also feel they will lose their other states viz Maharashtra, MP soon. Bringing in Modi for the state wasn't the wisest decision, especially given that it collided with the NEET.

State perspective, they will end up losing as the Hindutva policies haven't brought in much development.

Back to Karnataka I do feel Congress will form the government. However,the question lingers- who will be CM? I think it might be DK Shiva Kumar with HD Devegowda as Deputy CM.
HD Devegowda? He is the JDS supremo and not a MLA. Aged 90+. Maybe you wanted to say Siddaramaiah or Devegowda's son HD Kumaraswamy?

Siddaramaiah is the most preferred CM candidate with 40+% popularity among other CM candidates. DKS has only 5% popularity for CM candidature. And also he has that money laundering case on him, which might be the reason why Kharge won't appoint him as CM. I too want DKS to be the CM, but odds are against him for various reasons, might be disastrous if he is arrested again by ED/IT in middle of his tenure, will negatively impact Congress in Karnataka.

Funfact: Siddaramaiah is the only CM to complete full 5 year term (2013-2018) in last 40 yrs. No other CM have completed full 5 yr term since 80s in Karnataka.

Users who are viewing this thread