Politics Discussion (India)

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Apologies, got my facts mixed up.
Delhi is a Union Territory though, and it has elections?
Also, there was this whole constituency delimitation process for the legislative elections in Jammu and Kashmir recently, and some Kashmiri leaders protested at the Election Commission due to the delay of elections. So clearly elections were planned to be held

Yes, my bad! The delimitation exercise has been extended by yet another year. I believe we may not see elections until 2024 in the Valley.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Anyone following the mad-housery in Maharashtra?

I really wonder, why a state as important as Maharashtra, which has been facing political instability since 2019, isn't under President's rule already?

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
So, One Nation One Poll has been put into motion. Mixed feelings on this. Do the pros outweigh the cons?

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
So, One Nation One Poll has been put into motion. Mixed feelings on this. Do the pros outweigh the cons?

Based on these pros and cons, I am inclined to vote "not in favor" of this idea. I agree with the following cons and feel these are deal breakers in my opinion:

-Voters may end up voting on national issues even for state polls which would benefit larger national parties and marginalise regional parties.

-Under this rule, a wave of one person or one issue may give unbridled power to rule.

I feel this idea is being tried as a means to capture unison power across the country. Even though I prefer BJP (because to me, they are the lesser of the two evils compared to Congress), I don't think this idea will work

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
The 'One Nation, One Poll' in essence can reduce costs and could be a beneficial exercise. I still have some concerns over:

1. Horse Trading after the elections (stuff that's happening in Maharashtra)
2. In the event of the dissolution of a state assembly- how will this work? Let's say the Assembly of Odisha is dissolved after 2 years. would new elections be held again? Does the new govt get to stay in power for the next 3 years or will they be given a mandate for 5 years?

I largely agree with @SaiSrini 's pointers. That said though, ONOP might help consolidate power in a good manner( I believe thats what the BJP is getting at, however, wont be so sure if the Congress gets it)

Lastly, I feel in India, the ONOP wouldn't work unless and until we make some constitutional changes. The ONOP will work in USA as their format is based on the President and the Senate which are separate entities. For it to work in India, we need to get rid of the titles of PM, CM. Let the states be governed by the Governor(elected via direct election) and the country ought to be run by the President.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Really want to know your thoughts over the potential renaming of India to Bharat. Lots of discussion recently in the media surrounding it, especially after Draupadi Murmu sent this out

1000017402.jpg

If they really want to use Bharat, shouldn't the rubber stamp have sent out the invites in the name of:
Rashtrapatni of Bharat ?

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
I like the term ‘Bharat’, but it’s a huge nightmare to change it now. Our country has gained popularity and international stature while we have been called “India”. Renaming states or cities might be fine, but a whole country and that too the second largest one in the world and one that’s growing to be a superpower?

I’m going to stick my neck out and say that we should stay at being called ‘India’. I don’t care what the opposition alliance calls itself (apparently they are I.N.D.I.A with dots).

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I put it down to the whims and fancies of the ruling govt and their bid to impose 'Hindutva' and the 'Hindi' language. They ought to remember that the country is a democracy and cannot be managed based off the stupidity of 550 MPs. I am pretty sure they do not represent the majority of the population here. Furthermore, name changes aren't easy-involves a lot of bureaucratic idiosyncracies . If the BJP wants to call it 'Bharat', they can do so,however the brand value built up over the years cannot simply be eroded just cause a cluster of hindi speakers are calling it 'Bharat' and are currently in power.

Ever since this broke out yesterday, I have been trying to trace the origins. It seems the name was derived of the Indus Civilization and the land that lay near it. Apparently, their 'Hindustan' fascination was a derived via the Persian language as the Persians were unable to call the erstwhile 'Sindhu' as it is and hence changed it to 'Hindu'. 'Stan" appended for the fact that the land that belonged to these people.

BJP is hell bent upon changing colonial names- however, the name India was given by Greek explorers as the consonant /h/ seems to remain silent in their language. This later changed over to 'Indu'/ 'Indos' and later on into 'India'.

Personally, they can call it whatever they want-however, I am not in favour of them doing so officially.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
I would be very, very, very, very, very much surprised if they go through with this. The scale at which the changes will need to be done would be gigantic. Think this is meant as a response to the I.N.D.I.A alliance to try and shake them up.

But then again I cannot 100% rule it out too.

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
How will the citizens be called worldwide? 'Bharatiyans' replacing 'Indians'?

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Bharatwasiyoo might be the way forth. Though I firmly believe that half the parliament will be divided over 'Bharat vs Hindustan'
Joe Biden or Vladamir Putin pronouncing it as 'Bharatwasiyoo" sounds so spontaneous.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Rashtrapatni
One of the opposition leader was asked to apologise for using that word. Apparently, it's Rashtrapati, a gender neutral.

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Lastly, I feel in India, the ONOP wouldn't work unless and until we make some constitutional changes. The ONOP will work in USA as their format is based on the President and the Senate which are separate entities. For it to work in India, we need to get rid of the titles of PM, CM. Let the states be governed by the Governor(elected via direct election) and the country ought to be run by the President
Why do I feel like this is something that is possible? Former President of India Shri Ramnath Kovind was seen meeting or calling on governors from multiple states from June to August. He will also be heading the committee for exploring ONOE. This one is very much possible.

Users who are viewing this thread