England tour of India (5 Tests)

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
India can do with some changes in the side. if they are going to put out challenging pitches, we need Pujara instead of Gill at 3.

Sarfaraz iso Jadeja is a good option. I'd also play Kuldeep iso Axar.

pillowprocter

Panel of Selectors
ZIM...
SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda
Think, presuming Leach is out.

Zak
Duckett
Pope
Root
Bairstow
Stokes
Lawrence
Foakes
Hartley
Wood
Anderson
I like this, Root was the main bowler in the 1st inns anyway and Lawrence can be the 5th bowler. Don't think they will go with it tho, instead Bashir will play, not Lawrence.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Think, presuming Leach is out.

Zak
Duckett
Pope
Root
Bairstow
Stokes
Lawrence
Foakes
Hartley
Wood
Anderson
I think this depends a bit on the surface. If it looks like it'll take spin again, then I would expect Bashir to come in, especially after Hartley has vindicated that selection approach.

I also want to formally apologise to Ollie Pope for suggesting that he be dropped from the side mere hours before the start of day three

Welwyn

Associate Cricketer
I like this, Root was the main bowler in the 1st inns anyway and Lawrence can be the 5th bowler. Don't think they will go with it tho, instead Bashir will play, not Lawrence.

I think this depends a bit on the surface. If it looks like it'll take spin again, then I would expect Bashir to come in, especially after Hartley has vindicated that selection approach.

I also want to formally apologise to Ollie Pope for suggesting that he be dropped from the side mere hours before the start of day three

The way I see it, Hartley is your left-armer, Root is comfortably good enough to be the frontline off-spinner. So if you are dropping Rehan, you need another left-armer or leggie rather than another off-spinner as there are not enough left-handers in the Indian line-up to need a second offie. The extra advantage of Lawrence is that if India want to get funky and move Axar up and down the order to create left/right arm combo's, Lawrence starts bowling off-filth as opposed to leg-filth lol.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin

Yeah I'd pick Bashir ahead of Lawrence. I've seen him bowl a bit and he has something about him. I think Rehan and Hartley showed more than enough with the bat for an 8 or 9. Robinson is a decent batter and Anderson can sweep. Don't know about Bashir's batting but he has a 44* (with three sixes) at 11 as a top score. So packing the batting with Lawrence at the expense of a front line bowler isn't necessary.

Very much dependent on the pitch and how they feel about the attack worked. I'm not going to armchair coach this team anymore. They always leave you with egg on your face (although I still think we'd have won the Ashes if Wood played the first test).

With that being said I could see Anderson or Robinson in for Wood. However, Wood bowled 25 overs for 62. No wickets but you'd be happy with that from Anderson and Robinson and he bowls 10mph quicker.

Root should score more runs or Lawrence should come in for him (channeling my inner icyman with that suggestion).

Welwyn

Associate Cricketer
Just realised that I have once again confused Lawrence's and Livingstone's bowling so ignore my previous point. Keep Rehan at 8 in my team. Leach for Anderson the only change.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
It's a no brainer to get in Bashir. England should be tempted to bring in Anderson too (might seem a little unfair to Wood). The reputation that comes with it is certainly gonna bring wickets either at his end or the other. If nothing, you're guaranteed quiet overs from his side.

Root + Hartley + Rehan + Bashir ought to be a trendsetter. Not to mention the batting capabilities of the two spinners that is big bonus.

From India's point of view, perhaps Kuldeep could be tried in place of Siraj (if it's a spinning track). He is definitely a better batsman than Siraj. I reckon Virat would be back too, so Jaiswal might get the axe with KLR/Gill moving up. Hard to see Dravid dropping Gill. Disappointing outing from Iyer but I guess there's no alternative to him for now.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
Jadeja and Rahul missing the second Test

Sarfaraz Khan, Saurabh Kumar and Washington Sundar have been added to the squad

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Rumours that Kohli won't be a part of the entire series. Expect Patidar, Sarfaraz to get a debit now.

pillowprocter

Panel of Selectors
ZIM...
SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC