EA Cricket 97 Ashes Tour Edition

Crowvahkin

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Cricket 97 Ashes Tour Edition released by EA Sports and Melbourne House has been by far the best game of cricket I have played. I have played a lot of cricket games, probably every one out there but nothing comes close to this game as far as gameplay is concerned. Even in 2012 no other cricket game's gameplay comes close to Cricket 97's. Hardcore test cricket lovers will absolutely love this game.

I can think of three reasons why not too many people do not play this game:

- It was released so long ago that the younger generation has never got round to playing it.

- People haven't played it as a 2-player or a multiplayer game where the true potential of the game is realized.

- People don't play it for the poor graphics.

Graphics are obviously sub-standard compared to what we've come to expect today but as far as cricket games I'm sure most of you will agree that we'd take a game with a better gameplay than graphics when it comes to cricket. In this post I'll outline why I believe this game has the best gameplay among all cricket games. Especially in test cricket matches.

- This game is not a slogfest where you can hit the ball out of the ground from the very first ball. You need to get set as a batsman and only then play extravagant shots.

- Learning to survive and defend is a vital component of batting. Surviving an intense spell of bowling is just as enjoyable hitting a six. Atleast for hardcore test cricket fans.

- Weather conditions and pitch conditions have a lot of impact in matches. You actually need to adjust your batting technique according to the conditions. This is one aspect of gameplay that I have never seen in any other cricket game. It adds immensely to the realism.

- You need a tight batting technique or you'll be worked out easily by the bowler. For example in overhead conditions you need to make sure you cover the swing and get behind the line of the ball.

- No other game comes close to the rewarding bowling experience in Cricket 97. One might even say that bowling is more enjoyable than batting in this game.

- Bowlers actually swing, seam and spin the ball. Depending on the stats of the bowler and on the weather and pitch conditions, the amount of swing, seam and spin can vary from prodigious to almost none. Which makes it all the more important that you adjust your batting according to the conditions.

- The best part is that the ball doesn't pitch exactly on the bowling marker. The bowling marker is an indication of where the ball would have landed had the bowler bowled a straight ball. But the batsman has to judge the amount of swing/seam/spin and anticipate where the ball would land and play accordingly giving rise to thrilling battles between bat and ball.

- Player stats have a major role. There are 7 attributes that can be assigned to a player with certain restrictions placed on them. Every single player can have a unique stat profile making it very realistic. You don't want an Inzamam ul Haq and a Jonty Rhodes having the same running speed. This game allows you to customize every player's stats. You can create upto 16 teams with each having a 16-player squad.

- Weather and Pitch conditions can be customized. There are upto 81 possible unique combinations of conditions that you can play in. This is one of the best part of the game, you can play in all sorts of different conditions and unlike other games this actually has a major impact on your game.

- You can simulate real life venue conditions. For example you can simulate England conditions with having heavily overcast conditions a green pitch and cool temperatures. Or you could have Sharjah with hot weather and clear skies. They both give you completely different gaming experiences.

I have been playing this game for the last 10 years with my friend and it never gets old. We have had intense battles over the years. No other game gives you such an experience. This is a must-play for all test cricket lovers.

I sincerely insist that you grab a friend and play out a test match. Both of you'll get hooked. Playing against the AI isn't as fun as it is to play against a friend.

For people who do play this game, I suggest that the player who bats chooses keyboard and the bowler chooses mouse. At the end of the first innings, you save the game and reload it and you'll be given the option to choose between keyboard and mouse again. So now the player who's bowling in the 2nd innings can choose mouse and the batsman can choose keyboard. The reason is that the keyboard is perfect for batting and the mouse is perfect for bowling.

I do believe that people have been waiting for the perfect cricket game all this while when it's already been among us. Please do give it a try.

Disclaimer : I stand to gain no monetary benefit from this post. Its only my love for the game that I have decided to make more people aware about it.

Feel free to ask me questions.
Cheers and have a happy time demolishing stumps.

Crowvahkin.

Last edited:

sanjeevaloria

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
cricket 97 ashes tour edition is not rare
cricket 97 is rare

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I've got the CD for Cricket 97 in front of me. Doubt it would install and run on my current PC...
Gotta love any cricket game with Benaud and Beefy.

saadtariq

School Cricketer
Fantastic post.

Cricket 97 was the first PC game I ever played, in 1998. I still play it to this day with my brother, we update the squads every few months. Got it up to date as of the 2014 World T20 at the moment.

A genuinely brilliant game that was way ahead of its time.

Shady280

School Cricketer
Can Anybody plz tell me how to create a best team in Cricket 97 ashes tour edition

estmsm

Club Captain
Why don't the current game developers base cricket games on this game's model? This game was way ahead of its time.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Ah nostalgia! Wish I could get my hand on the game today, would love to try it out again.

Users who are viewing this thread