Panel of Selectors
PAK...
RCB...
LQ
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Day by day, question marks on Azhar Ali and Asad Shafiq are increasing.

Asad Shafiq should be replaced by Haris Sohail/Saud Shakeel or any promising youngster. No oldies please! We have already had enough of these 35 year olds.

If Shan performs keeps performing well and Azhar keeps failing, Shan would fancy his chances as the next Test captain.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Abid Ali should be dropped for his life for that poor dismissal. Like seriously how can a Test Cricketer be so dumb?
That's harsh. International cricket is a high pressure environment, mistakes like that happen, even though they shouldn't. Obviously he should work on his discipline.
Overreaction is a natural reaction when seeing Pakistan pull a Pakistan, though, so I don't blame you :p

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Yeh _______ khelte he aisa hein. Mein iss ke ilawa kia karoon?

Translation: These ________ play in a such manner. What more can I do?

I have watched pretty much each and every bowl of the Test in 40° C heat in the lounge. The Air Conditioner isn't functional right now.

Imagine sitting 8 hours every day in 40° heat with only a fan which is on its death bed. These reactions are deserving then!

Babar, Abid and Azhar let us down today![DOUBLEPOST=1596828792][/DOUBLEPOST]
I meant 'these idiots'.

Guys, you really need to fix your thinking!
Brother, they are humans like us too, and probably have the same feelings we have right now too. They are playing thousands of kilometres away from home, without any contact with the outside world, while a pandemic rages in their home country. So we should cut them some slack.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
Brother, they are humans like us too, and probably have the same feelings we have right now too. They are playing thousands of kilometres away from home, without any contact with the outside world, while a pandemic rages in their home country. So we should cut them some slack.
A hundred times this - they're out there representing their country with the overwhelming worry of what state the country might be in when they come home. And they're probably still going to win this Test

D

Dutch

Yeh _______ khelte he aisa hein. Mein iss ke ilawa kia karoon?

Translation: These ________ play in a such manner. What more can I do?

I have watched pretty much each and every bowl of the Test in 40° C heat in the lounge. The Air Conditioner isn't functional right now.

Imagine sitting 8 hours every day in 40° heat with only a fan which is on its death bed. These reactions are deserving then!

Babar, Abid and Azhar let us down today![DOUBLEPOST=1596828792][/DOUBLEPOST]
I meant 'these idiots'.

Guys, you really need to fix your thinking!
Friend stay calm. There really are worse things in the world. Have a good sleep and come back tomorrow and be more mindful. I love the passion of the Pakistani fans here and elsewhere but lets keep some perspective.

D

Dutch

So fickle is the human mind: before the match nobody expected Pakistan to win: they hoped they would put up a good fight, give it an honest go, make their country proud: three days later and everyone EXPECTS them to win.

B

Bigby Wolf

I reckon Pakistan have got this seeing how the pitch is behaving & the bowlers they have in their ranks unless Ben Stokes decides to play another one of those freaky innings.

AsadRM

Panel of Selectors
PAK...
RCB...
LQ
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Got too emotional last night! I had not eaten anything nor slept well. Still, it doesn't justify the act that I did.

I shouldn't have said that. One should accept his/her mistakes so my sincere apologies to everybody.

This will never happen again

Ed Smith

Gaffer
ENG....
Northern Superchargers
The Boys
Profile Flag
England
So fickle is the human mind: before the match nobody expected Pakistan to win: they hoped they would put up a good fight, give it an honest go, make their country proud: three days later and everyone EXPECTS them to win.

Have you seen our record in 1st tests? :lol

AsadRM

Panel of Selectors
PAK...
RCB...
LQ
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Naseem Shah vs Jofra Archer: A Detailed Analysis
I know they have a big age difference and it is probably a disservice to Naseem to be comparing him to a guy who is older and much more experienced. However, the point of comparison is that both of them are relatively fresh on the international scene, but are already box office draws, and are being billed as potential superstars.

Archer has already made his mark in last year's World cup with a great super over and the subsequent ashes series, while Naseem is in his first year of international cricket with already a fiver and a hat-trick to his credit.

So let's analyze the key attributes that may go on to decide this contest in the years to come.

Sustainability of bowling action:

To start it off, I believe that Archer is a supreme athlete, and it is this supreme athleticism that allows him to bowl that quick and not necessarily his bowling technique/action.
While Archer does look effortless in his action it has to be noted that bowlers with a predominantly front-on action, with no pivid, put a lot of stress on the lower back. And in Archer's case, he barely uses his left side much and totally relies on his lower core strength to maintain his extension. That explains why his pace declines so much over the course of a test series or a season. In Ashes, he even touched 154 kph and against Pakistan, he hasn't even touched 145 kph.

On the other hand, a guy like Naseem can sustain his pace much better because his side on action allows his oblique muscles as well as his hips to share in the burden with his back.

archer 1.jpg

naseem 1.jpg

Watch how Archer's left arm just aimlessly rests on the side, while Naseem's is way past his back since he uses the slingshot method; pulling it down with force, using it to catapult his right side.

In the past, Naseem has had back issues but they were more a result of counter-rotation or in other words a mixed action where his upper half was front on, with the lower being side-on.
Ever since that has been fixed, he hasn't had any complaints with his back. However, it remains to be seen whether he can retain the muscle memory and doesn't fall into the older bad habits.

Attacking skills with the new ball

Naseem's natural swing is to bring it back in to the right handers; similar to Bond and Donald. However, he also has the ability to shape it away from them and his outswing happens very late. It is also not as exaggerated as it is with somebody like Amir, which means that there is more likelihood of him hitting the edge than the ball beating the bat.

Archer on the other, because of his front-on action and minimal use of his left side, doesn't shape it away from the right handers and predominantly tries to bring it back. He can get it to straighten, but that has everything to do with the wrist which makes it harder to execute when not in optimal rhythm.
His biggest weapon is how he gets the ball to rise from a length, which makes him a very awkward customer to handle.

archer 2.jpg

As it can be seen from this image, his upright extension and extremely high release means that he gets the most lift/bounce out of all the bowlers playing international cricket at the moment.

Naseem doesn't have a shoddy bouncer either as Imam and Abid Ali (who were both made to retire hurt in the practice matches) and obviously Chris Woakes yesterday will testify.

Although a good three to four inches shorter than Archer, and sometimes dismissed as being particularly short for a fast bowler, Naseem surprisingly still generates very good lift and the answer is in the image below.

naseem 2.jpg

A look at his elbow tells us that he gets extra leverage because of having hyperextensible joints, particularly in his arms. This is a similar attribute that has allowed relatively shorter bowlers like Jasprit Bumrah and Shoaib Akhtar(both under 6 feet) to generate bounce that would characterize a much taller bowler.

Accuracy

This is an attribute where both the bowlers surprisingly do very well, given the pace that they bowl at. They both have very good control of length according to their experience and age.

Old ball skills:
This is where Naseem can really leave Archer behind. So far, from what we have seen, Archer does not get much tail or movement with the older ball, and the reason is his action, which is very perpendicular at release and lacks a slingshot, which most bowlers use to get their arms lower when bowling with the old ball. Some great examples include Waqar Younis and Shoaib Akhtar. In contemporary times, I have even seen Umesh Yadav use this method very effectively and get his arm lower with the old ball to generate a lot of reverse swing.

Naseem doesn't have to worry about this though, as his side-on, slingshot supported action allows for arm angle adjustment. He isn't great with this at the moment, but over time, I expect him to develop this facet of the game, particularly with Waqar on his side.

A HUGE shoutout to 'Pacy with Wisdom' for helping me out with this.

Let me know what you guys think of this.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Naseem Shah vs Jofra Archer: A Detailed Analysis
I know they have a big age difference and it is probably a disservice to Naseem to be comparing him to a guy who is older and much more experienced. However, the point of comparison is that both of them are relatively fresh on the international scene, but are already box office draws, and are being billed as potential superstars.

Archer has already made his mark in last year's World cup with a great super over and the subsequent ashes series, while Naseem is in his first year of international cricket with already a fiver and a hat-trick to his credit.

So let's analyze the key attributes that may go on to decide this contest in the years to come.

Sustainability of bowling action:

To start it off, I believe that Archer is a supreme athlete, and it is this supreme athleticism that allows him to bowl that quick and not necessarily his bowling technique/action.
While Archer does look effortless in his action it has to be noted that bowlers with a predominantly front-on action, with no pivid, put a lot of stress on the lower back. And in Archer's case, he barely uses his left side much and totally relies on his lower core strength to maintain his extension. That explains why his pace declines so much over the course of a test series or a season. In Ashes, he even touched 154 kph and against Pakistan, he hasn't even touched 145 kph.

On the other hand, a guy like Naseem can sustain his pace much better because his side on action allows his oblique muscles as well as his hips to share in the burden with his back.

View attachment 236148

View attachment 236149

Watch how Archer's left arm just aimlessly rests on the side, while Naseem's is way past his back since he uses the slingshot method; pulling it down with force, using it to catapult his right side.

In the past, Naseem has had back issues but they were more a result of counter-rotation or in other words a mixed action where his upper half was front on, with the lower being side-on.
Ever since that has been fixed, he hasn't had any complaints with his back. However, it remains to be seen whether he can retain the muscle memory and doesn't fall into the older bad habits.

Attacking skills with the new ball

Naseem's natural swing is to bring it back in to the right handers; similar to Bond and Donald. However, he also has the ability to shape it away from them and his outswing happens very late. It is also not as exaggerated as it is with somebody like Amir, which means that there is more likelihood of him hitting the edge than the ball beating the bat.

Archer on the other, because of his front-on action and minimal use of his left side, doesn't shape it away from the right handers and predominantly tries to bring it back. He can get it to straighten, but that has everything to do with the wrist which makes it harder to execute when not in optimal rhythm.
His biggest weapon is how he gets the ball to rise from a length, which makes him a very awkward customer to handle.

View attachment 236150

As it can be seen from this image, his upright extension and extremely high release means that he gets the most lift/bounce out of all the bowlers playing international cricket at the moment.

Naseem doesn't have a shoddy bouncer either as Imam and Abid Ali (who were both made to retire hurt in the practice matches) and obviously Chris Woakes yesterday will testify.

Although a good three to four inches shorter than Archer, and sometimes dismissed as being particularly short for a fast bowler, Naseem surprisingly still generates very good lift and the answer is in the image below.

View attachment 236151

A look at his elbow tells us that he gets extra leverage because of having hyperextensible joints, particularly in his arms. This is a similar attribute that has allowed relatively shorter bowlers like Jasprit Bumrah and Shoaib Akhtar(both under 6 feet) to generate bounce that would characterize a much taller bowler.

Accuracy

This is an attribute where both the bowlers surprisingly do very well, given the pace that they bowl at. They both have very good control of length according to their experience and age.

Old ball skills:
This is where Naseem can really leave Archer behind. So far, from what we have seen, Archer does not get much tail or movement with the older ball, and the reason is his action, which is very perpendicular at release and lacks a slingshot, which most bowlers use to get their arms lower when bowling with the old ball. Some great examples include Waqar Younis and Shoaib Akhtar. In contemporary times, I have even seen Umesh Yadav use this method very effectively and get his arm lower with the old ball to generate a lot of reverse swing.

Naseem doesn't have to worry about this though, as his side-on, slingshot supported action allows for arm angle adjustment. He isn't great with this at the moment, but over time, I expect him to develop this facet of the game, particularly with Waqar on his side.

A HUGE shoutout to 'Pacy with Wisdom' for helping me out with this.

Let me know what you guys think of this.
Really nice read :thumbs

Neptune

Panel of Selectors
Avengers
I have a feeling that if England have to win this test, Root has to lead the chase. The pitch is spinning and the leggies are going to be deadly. Root has a great record in the subcontinent and he has to take them on.

Users who are viewing this thread