Bowling issues.

tarrantino

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
Yeah you have to mix it sometimes. It’s a building block to start. Otherwise 6 random balls just gets you nowhere.

adamrg

School Cricketer
I seem to find that 4/5 stock balls (for me just an outswinger) and then a variation on the 5th ball works quite well (eg an inswinger or a bouncer)

bptuner

School Cricketer
I've found that bowling 5 stock balls per over has the batsman to comfortable.
I get better results with more variation but not every ball.
Another method to improve your bowling is to go into replay mode during the match and watch the AI's bowling. This can give you an idea on how to bowl an uncomfortable and dangerous over for a batsman. The same applies for watching real cricket but this makes it easier to translate into something you can do in the game (Slow bouncers can be tricky in real life but useless in CR19).

Doesn't matter if its your teammate or the opposition, just try and find a bowler who uses the same style as you (bowl style, swing, seam, leg spin, etc.) and watch their lines, lengths and delivery. After carefully watching probably 100+ overs in replay mode, I actually saw an AI bowling cross-seams yesterday. They might have bowled them earlier but I never observed it as a batsman/fielder. You will get to learn the different delivery types by looking at the seam placement, and also the right lines and lengths to use them on.

Anyway, even if your struggling on a particular pitch, watching how the AI plays to the field set up and pitch can help you improve a lot. As @Nige said, you'll even see the AI doesn't really change delivery type, its more about length and line but even then don't overdo it (except in T20). The same plan won't work on every team on every pitch but if you have an idea on how to throw some effective deliveries, you'll notice significant improvement.

I'm using a build that gives me a really high "stock ball" as I see my standard up and down seam as my "fast ball". Bowling at 160km/h just outside off or bouncing over the top of off is a really hard ball to hit, even for the AI. This sets up some subtle variations with the use of a few leg cutters, an occasional off cutter and the intermittently sneaky cross seam at full length. Short balls/bouncers are also lethal when combined with intense speed.
I noticed that in Cricket 17 when aiming I presumed it was like EA cricket games where you moved the direction indicator totally to the left or the right but doing that in these titles means the ball barely pitches on the cut strip, regardless of the type of delivery.... You only need to move the direction stick slightly to the left or right to change line. And the more subtle you are with it, particularly when using swing/seam movement, the more results from false shots and swinging bats you get.
Line direction to a RHB over the wicket with 50 line sensitivity:
Point your line at Standard: Outside off stump.
Point your line at Standard: Over/outside leg stump, sometimes mid stump.
Point your line at Standard (no change to line): Tends to bounce over/just outside offstump but can do something off the pitch and end up leg side.
Point your line at Standard: Ball ends up closer to the tram lines, good for forcing bad drives.

Adjust your lengths and speed for variation.

Last edited:

sharedil

School Cricketer
So I've been playing the game on and off since release and I'm at a loss as to how I should bowl at the ai. Even on the easiest difficulty against the worst teams I get clattered around regardless of bowling plans. James Anderson away swingers on a 4th stump line ? Smacked around through the offside. A slightly more McGrath plan of bowling for the top of off stump with variation gets me repeatedly straight driven. Suprise bouncers repeatedly hooked and pulled, the wickets I do take seem to have nothing to do with my skill or the quality of the delivery I have bowled the game just seems to decide that it's time for a wicket. Anyone else struggling to build any pressure ?
6'2" All Rounder Fast Bowler, i heavily rely on short bouncers and short pitch with the right field to the leg, mostly the last two deliveries of the over if it's a fairly tight over, usually gets me a wicket or two every over.

GuyIncognito

Chairman of Selectors
AUS..
RCB...
MS
Melbourne Stars
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Australia
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I tell new people to bowl to the bowler's strength. A precise bowler needs to focus on line and length with a surprise bouncer or cross seam ball. A brute should be short, fast and yorkers etc. I've found sticking to a player's mentality rewards with wickets.

Nigel Jones

School Cricketer
Your best route is to go with a familiar stock ball for 5 deliveries and then go for a swinger or bouncer somewhere in the over. Too many variations just won’t help.

Keep an eye on where the edges are going as you can then plug the gap with a fielder or two.
I think this is where I'm going wrong, to many variations. I'm bowling outswingers, inswingers, different lengths etc etc. The batting bowling and fielding ive got (using sliders) between medium and hard with the AI on legend. There's not many bowling tips videos on YouTube so any help you can give will be really appreciated[DOUBLEPOST=1597417808][/DOUBLEPOST]
Turn up the slider called ai wicket chance. Its default on 50 try 60 and see how that goes.
Never thought of that, think ill try that

tarrantino

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
I think this is where I'm going wrong, to many variations. I'm bowling outswingers, inswingers, different lengths etc etc. The batting bowling and fielding ive got (using sliders) between medium and hard with the AI on legend. There's not many bowling tips videos on YouTube so any help you can give will be really appreciated[DOUBLEPOST=1597417808][/DOUBLEPOST]
Never thought of that, think ill try that

You'll find that in test matches it'll get a lot more chances leading towards the outside edge. Just make sure the field is adjusted accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread