Neon's review of Cricket 2005 PS2

neon

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I bought the Cricket 2005 game for the PS2 and here is my review:

Let us start from the menus. It definitely looks better than C2004 and the addition of EA Trax is much appreciated. The whole look resembles that of FIFA 2005. You have options like friendly, tournaments, My Cricket 2005 and team management. Tournaments is dived into International and Domestic. The create player option is very similar to the one used in FIFA 2005 but a big downer is that you cannot modify the faces of existing players (Players like Sachin Tendulkar look nothing like themselves. Sachin has moustache which makes him look like a Rajput warrior). You have a lot of teams from which you can select two when you enter the Friendly menu. A huge disappointment is the fact that India has only one stadium, Eden Gardens and most other countries have only one stadium too. Every other feature here is the same with the pitch conditions, number of overs and so on. EA Sports does not give us the luxury of selecting the squad of our opponents. This really infuriates me since many teams do not have the proper starting eleven. For India, Gambhir opens the batting in ODIs and Kaif is omitted.

Graphics:
The graphics are amazing. The players, their movements and reactions are very realistic. We have different umpires for different ends which was not seen in C2004. EA has definitely done its homework as far as graphics go.

Batting:
The batting controls are the same as the ones used in C2004. We have a confidence meter(which I have really not tested due to my horrible batting) as before. The ball mark is shown just before the bowler delivers and this means that you cannot move the batsman as you wish and strike the ball. This is definitely an improvement as it makes batting difficult. The fielders are incredibly fast. You cannot pinch easy singles any more. It is also very difficult to hit a boundary without using the power button. The outfield is very, very fast and the ground seems to be too small. I have so far found it incredibly tough to score runs. I play only in the legside cos I always scoop up a catch when I play in the covers. I have not scored a single run in the V. All this makes batting a nightmare. It makes for better gameplay, you may say, but it?s horribly difficult and I am playing with medium difficulty. The lineup bug is thankfully removed and so is the run out bug.

Bowling:
Bowling is awesome. They have made it much more difficult to position the ball (though with some practice, positioning can be perfected). There is no exaggerated swing movement but spin bowling is very good, especially if you are bowling with a leg spinner. If you bowl well for an over or so, you get to bowl special balls like googlies, flippers, doosras and slower balls and yorkers if you are a fast bowler. There is no manual appealing as EA had promised. Bowling is difficult too as you get clobbered to all parts of the ground but if you bowl cleverly you can pick up wickets. Run outs are rarer this time around. Overall the bowling aspect of the game is satisfactory.

Fielding:
Catches are much more realistic and so is the ground fielding but the fielders are too damn fast. Fielding could definitely have been made better but still its an improvement over its predecessor as the keeper finally has been given the power to move his legs.

In a nut-shell:
Graphics: 9/10
Gameplay: 7/10
Sound: 8/10
Commentary: 3/10
Lifespan: 6/10
Overall: 6.6/10

Verdict: Buy Cricket 2005 if you are a cricket fan and if you hated Cricket 2004 or wait for BLIC to hit the stores.

neon

School Cricketer
There is not much to say about commentary except that it sucks. The crowd sounds are good as usual.

cricketmaster

School Cricketer
a few quick questions buds in the gameplay video i watched the bowling actions looked terrible they were in like slow motion do they look more realistic and faster

another thing i noticed when the ball hit the pads it flew off realy fast and the fielders looked like they moved far to quick is this better in the full version

and when you say the animations are awesome can you tell me what animations are particulary good and are the cutscenes better

thanks fellas can you please answer

ScobieB

Club Cricketer
Yeah the cut scenes are great. Especially when you see the bowler in between balls and the celebrations.

Bowling wise I havent really noticed so I suppose that mean that there okay.

nikhil_99

International Coach
Graphics are good no doubt...
but really one thing is the game play is really fast...
the fielders really come fast and other thing is they thow the ball with accuracy and very fast..... even from boundary line !!!!! its direact throw.....it reaches to the wicket keeper/bolwers end without bouncing

there are only 2 umipres .... not like cricket 2004 where there were about 4-6...

there is plenty of noise ..or sound before the bowler bowls ....and if the fileder fields a ball ..plenty of noise ...the particluar stoke the backfoot glance... this shot looks very diffrent comapred to Cricket2004..this shot looks very similar to Cricket2000 even in cricket2000 there was noise of fielder stopping a ball...
the reply method...... using mouse to move the cam...same as Cricket 2000!!!

neon

School Cricketer
The cut scenes as well as the faces of licensed players are very good. There is not much difference beween a medium fast bowler and a fast bowler as the ball seems to come at the same pace. Fielding is incredibly fast.

Users who are viewing this thread