1st Test: England v Australia at Nottingham Jul 10-14, 2013

Any one else concerned by Clarke's form (mostly from Aus fans)?

That 4 position is just not doing any thing for clarke, OR is his back really messing up? We know he can bat in England, I mean he top scored in 09 for Australia.

I just saw that LBW far out, we dont' have any luck. That ball 1mm inside zone and yet the ball was 1mm out when Clarke bowled Faf against the Saffers.

That 4 position is just not doing any thing for clarke, OR is his back really messing up? We know he can bat in England, I mean he top scored in 09 for Australia.

Hard to say this early into it. By the time we find out it may be too late for this Ashes series anyway.

Clark and Smith clearly missed the trick by not playing aggressive cricket once they settled, ie. after facing 30-40 balls. Everybody knows it's harder to bat on a 5th day pitch, so they should have scored more runs on the fourth day by attacking Swann and other bowlers. Also there was a period where Swann's bowling was bad and pacers got no movements from the pitch. But they failed to capitalise on that chance by being too defensive.

Did he step up to No.4 during the tests in India? I don`t quite remember where exactly he batted in India, owing to the chaos surrounding the Australian lineup. Except for the first test match in Chennai where he got a hundred, he was pretty average in India as well. Maybe its just that we got used to Clarke scoring those double hundreds during the home season. This is his first real big game since the tests in India. Had he been fit for the CT, it would have done a world of good for him as well. Just hoping for him to strike some form early in the series. That will make the Australian batting look a lot lot better.

Teams can now always expect a collapse in that middle order. All that after the openers got us to a good start. Clarke isn't dispelling the myth that he isn't as good at 4. Cowan is done and dusted.

It's not a myth :

#3 : 2 inns, 25 runs @ 12.50
#4 : 32 inns, 667 runs @ 21.52
#5 : 98 inns, 5692 runs @ 63.96
#6 : 21 inns, 829 runs @ 48.76

He's also batted at 7 & 8. 32 innings is plenty enough evidence, HS of just 80 and just four fifties, one every 8 innings compared to a 50/100 every 2.5 innings batting 5 and every 3.5 innings batting 6.

Someone said he was the most in form batsman, 57 runs in his last 5 innings doesn't reflect that.

Last three Tests : 148 runs @ 24.67
Previous 13 Tests : 1835 runs @ 96.58

He batted 3 & 6 in his previous Test, made 0 and 18.

Anyway, on this Test. England look to be closing in on the kill. The only real aussie hope is to hang around, probably with this pair, get to within 80-100 runs and give England something to worry about. At the moment England have runs to spare, if it gets to 80 needed with 4 wickets in hand then there'll be more concern over runs and defensive fields.

Haddin hasn't made a fifty since December 2011, but has made a few runs including a 42no and 30 in his last couple of Tests. Agar looks capable of making some runs or hanging around, only needs one of them to make a fifty and England won't be quite so confident.

The Test has exposed 'concerns' over the DRS, things I've been saying from the off. It's too much of a "tactic" when you give it to the captains/batsmen, selfishness with the batsmen wicket reviews and opportunism with the bowling reviews.

You have to look at the point of the system, to avoid glaring errors, and decide is what you have achieving the goal? It has improved the decisions where reviews are available, but if a side has run out then clangers can still make an appearance. And mistakes are still there, I mean the Agar stumping was close, but certainly the Trott review was a disaster and this doesn't "sell" the review to the sceptics. These aren't powerplays, this is supposed to make sure umpiring mistakes are corrected.

So give it to the umpires, probably too late to backtrack and the ICC not lose face, but it would work better if the umpires used the system when they felt uncertain rather than leave it as a tactic and limited use only. Reviews should be used when needed, not when available and the captain/batsman is willing to "risk" losing one.

And about time the MCC made the laws clear and cut out the non "walkers". If you're out and you know you're out then you shouldn't be standing and waiting, you should vacate the crease. If you can't play with a fair play spirit then you shouldn't play the game.

Ask Broad why he didn't walk and I bet he'd be lying if he said he didn't think he was out. I didn't see him leave the crease yesterday, but I gather he left promptly and probably feels a tinge of guilt, and rightly so. Those saying he was "wrongly pilloried" ignore the fact that he did something wrong, whether you think just the spirit of the game was damaged or what. You edge, you're caught, you're out, you leave the crease.

Of course if some stop and think about it, we may get a war around reviews. If players know opponents are out, or they are out, players may start appealing or standing their ground as they know their opponent can do nothing about it. Don't they get 3 per player per set in Tennis? You get 2 per innings per TEAM in Tests, a tennis set might conceivably last over 100 serves, an innings is likely to last at least 240 deliveries.

Got a horrible feeling the aussies may just nick the win today

Hope I'm wrong

Good morning. Here`s the first of the ever-pessimistic English supporter`s comments. Hope to see more of these during the course of today`s play. As a neutral, I want a close game either way. I fondly remember the 2005 Ashes when this forum was possibly at its busiest. Its never reached those heights again.

Ashton Agar does not have anything more up his sleeve, does he? I fear for the young lad. How often have you seen players with great test match debuts fade away as soon as they hit the spotlight?

This first test is a great example of test cricket, it has had it all, on paper England are the much better side but the Aussies are still in it. I know England were on the up yesterday and as an England fan I want an England win but I fear the possibility of an Australian tail.

I got the horrible feeling we will get a repeat of 05 and we will be left to rue our poor use of the DRS.

No offence but I hope your right.

Think we have been a bit over confident and even now what I'm reading and hearing on tv and radio it's as if its a done thing we will get the final wickets, these last few batters are no mugs

Clark and Smith clearly missed the trick by not playing aggressive cricket once they settled, ie. after facing 30-40 balls. Everybody knows it's harder to bat on a 5th day pitch, so they should have scored more runs on the fourth day by attacking Swann and other bowlers. Also there was a period where Swann's bowling was bad and pacers got no movements from the pitch. But they failed to capitalise on that chance by being too defensive.

I thought the crucial stage was something you touch on here -scoring. Finn and Swann were bowling at Clarke and Smith. Finn is the loosest England bowler. Clarke and Smith would be the guys you'd nominate to handle Swann best. This is the time when Australia could have made some progress, yet they couldn't score! Finn was tight, Swann had a good field and finally found his accuracy. I thought it was an absolutely crucial 10 over period - Australia only scored 18 runs against bowlers they fancied. Next over Broad came on and Clarke was out.

Teams can now always expect a collapse in that middle order. All that after the openers got us to a good start. Clarke isn't dispelling the myth that he isn't as good at 4. Cowan is done and dusted.

Cowan's dismissal before tea was just awful, honestly. If I'd been up I'd have hurled something out the window. So irresponsible. He actually looked pretty good, some nice shots once he got in. But you wonder what's going on in his head, he can't seem to decide whether to play his normal game or try and attack a bit more. It's the same dilemma that Warner, and perhaps Watson too struggle with.

I think Clarke has been worked out a little bit, or at least I think I've worked him out :p. The fields Swann set for him were smart. Very similar to what Herath gave him last summer, which I thought were effective too. Bowl full, make sure your cover and mid wicket are VERY straight. Clarke loves using his feet and threading those cover-midoff and midwicket-midon gaps. Cut them off and he's down to 2 options to score: go over the top, or score from the back foot. If you bowl accurately you can cut off the back foot option too - see last night where Clarke only really scored working Swann off his hip to shorter balls. If you've got a field where you're forcing Clarke to go big, then you win, because that is the weakest part of his game.

Last thing I'll say is that Aleem Dar will be hoping Australia either win, or get beaten by more than 59 runs (the Broad/Bell partnership added 59 more after the incident). Not passing judgement! Just hoping that Dar doesn't have to feel too guilty.

On that basis Erasmus should be hoping England win too to cover up for his error.
England are clear favourites but as we saw in the first innings strange stuff can happen. That said there is more pressure on Agar this time round and I expect a reasonably comfortable England victory.

let's forget about the umpiring, this is one it's way to a terrific, grandstand finish. The English bowlers have to really up their game, Swann looked good but noone has looked menacing, both Haddin and Agar have been comfortable.

Big question, will the Aussies go for the win or be happy with a draw?

Users who are viewing this thread