2008 African Cup of Nations

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
The 26th edition of the MTN African Cup of Nations starts in 10 days time. It will be played in four cities in Ghana: Kumasi, Accra, Tamale and Sekondi-Takoradi. Ghana were awarded the hosting of the tournament by gaining more votes than Libya. South Africa withdrew from their bid after being named as hosts of the World Cup in 2010.

The winner will not only be officially the best footballing country in Africa, but will earn the right to represent Africa at the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup.

After more than a year of qualifying matches, the following teams will play in the tournament:

Ghana
Côte d'Ivoire
Egypt
Nigeria
Sudan
Cameroon
Angola
Senegal
Guinea
Mali
Namibia
Zambia
Morocco
Tunisia
Benin
South Africa

The draw was made to decide the groupings in October. These are the groups:

Group A

Ghana
Guinea
Morocco
Namibia

Group B

Benin
Côte d'Ivoire
Mali
Nigeria

Group C

Cameroon
Egypt
Sudan
Zambia

Group D

Angola
Senegal
South Africa
Tunisia

Schedule

20th January: Ghana 2-1 Guinea, Group A match at Accra
21st January: Namibia 1-5 Morocco, Group A match at Accra
21st January: Nigeria 0-1 Côte d'Ivoire, Group B match at Sekondi-Takoradi
21st January: Mali 1-0 Benin, Group B match at Sekondi-Takoradi
22nd January: Egypt v Cameroon, Group C match at Kumasi
22nd January: Sudan v Zambia, Group C match at Kumasi
23rd January: Tunisia v Senegal, Group D match at Tamale
23rd January: South Africa v Angola, Group D match at Tamale
24th January: Guinea v Morocco, Group A match at Accra
24th January: Ghana v Namibia, Group A match at Accra
25th January: Côte d'Ivoire v Benin, Group B match at Sekondi-Takoradi
25th January: Nigeria v Mali, Group B match at Sekondi-Takoradi
26th January: Cameroon v Zambia, Group C match at Kumasi
26th January: Egypt v Sudan, Group C match at Kumasi
27th January: Senegal v Angola, Group D match at Tamale
27th January: Tunisia v South Africa, Group D match at Tamale
28th January: Ghana v Morocco, Group A match at Accra
28th January: Guinea v Namibia, Group A match at Sekondi-Takoradi
29th January: Nigeria v Benin, Group B match at Sekondi-Takoradi
29th January: Côte d'Ivoire v Mali, Group B match at Accra
30th January: Cameroon v Sudan, Group C match at Tamale
30th January: Egypt v Zambia, Group C match at Kumasi
31st January: Senegal v South Africa, Group D match at Kumasi
31st January: Tunisia v Angola, Group D match at Tamale
3rd February: A1 v B2, Quarter Final match at Accra
3rd February: B1 v A2, Quarter Final match at Sekondi-Takoradi
4th February: D1 v C2, Quarter Final match at Tamale
4th February: C1 v D2, Quarter Final match at Kumasi
6th February: A1/B2 v D1/C2, Semi Final match at Accra
7th February: C1/D2 v B1/A2, Semi Final match at Kumasi
9th February: TBC v TBC, Third Place match at Kumasi
10th February: TBC v TBC, Final match at Accra

Interested people in the UK can watch the tournament mainly on British Eurosport, but all of the group matches, the quarter finals, the semi finals and the third place match are live on BBCi (BBC Interactive), with highlights on BBC 3 and the final is live on BBC 2.

This should be interesting, a lot of the football league players will be participating.

Last edited:

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
and on BBC3. I'm supporting Ivory coast and Angola, Ivory coast because the longer there in the longer Toure ad Drogba are away from their clubs, Angola because uniteds new striker plays for them. Ivory coast V Nigeria should be a good game.

JamesyJames3

International Coach
Group D looks like a hell of a group. Should be an interesting tournament, and with the live coverage I'm sure I will be watching plenty of it.

Maxkarter

Battrick Tournament Host
For Bafan to have any chances of making it through to the next stage they'll have to pull surprise wins over Tunisia and Senegal. At least for a change all the players were on time at the training camp, even though Moyes tried to keep Pienaar for too long yet again.

Hopefully AFCON will spell a change in form for Bafana and they can get near the form that won them the AFCON in 1995 I think.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
and on BBC3. I'm supporting Ivory coast and Angola, Ivory coast because the longer there in the longer Toure ad Drogba are away from their clubs, Angola because uniteds new striker plays for them. Ivory coast V Nigeria should be a good game.

There will be a highlights show on BBC 3. I have added the details to the first post, thanks.

Strange reasons for supporting certain teams! I am tipping Egypt to win, they have won it 5 times. There are so many good teams though, anyone could go all the way.

Group D looks like a hell of a group. Should be an interesting tournament, and with the live coverage I'm sure I will be watching plenty of it.

Group D is the undisputed 'Group of Death'. Group C should be close as well.

Maxkarter said:
For Bafan to have any chances of making it through to the next stage they'll have to pull surprise wins over Tunisia and Senegal. At least for a change all the players were on time at the training camp, even though Moyes tried to keep Pienaar for too long yet again.

Hopefully AFCON will spell a change in form for Bafana and they can get near the form that won them the AFCON in 1995 I think.

It is times like this when you realise just how many African players are in the football league. There are many in the Premier League - Arsenal and Chelsea the most notable ones.

Maxkarter

Battrick Tournament Host
The rest are all dumped in France, and a few South African players are/were dwindling in the Bundesliga. Pity tho, there are lots of good African players out there that don't get the chance to play out of their country that could do well in a foreign league even if it isn't the EPL.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
The rest are all dumped in France, and a few South African players are/were dwindling in the Bundesliga. Pity tho, there are lots of good African players out there that don't get the chance to play out of their country that could do well in a foreign league even if it isn't the EPL.

You talk about it as if Africans playing in the top leagues of other countries is a bad thing. I would have thought it was beneficial to them, as the better quality players they play with, they better quality they become, and show that in internationals.

You know more about it than I do - what are South Africa's chances in the tournament?

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
And if we are being picky about broadcasting, the final's on BBC Two...

I know, I added it to the first post because it was on the same page as the info about the highlights show on BBC 3.

Maxkarter

Battrick Tournament Host
It's not bad at all, I just know that many coaches try to keep players and don't release them for their national teams when they have duty. Moyes has done this with Pienaar a few times and even though he pitched for the pre-tournament getogether it was 48 hours after FIFA's deadline. South Africa actually has a histroy of players simply not arriving at all for matches from foreign leagues but Perriera seems to have sorted this out a little.

It's a rather young team, with quite a few local players, but judging from performances pre-Perriera we wouldn't have qualified let alone win a match in the group stages. However, I won't be disappointed if they don't get through, but I won't be overly surprised if they make it through. It's just one of those transisional/rebuilding periods where anything can happen and fan just have to take it in their stride until things are properly settled.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
It's not bad at all, I just know that many coaches try to keep players and don't release them for their national teams when they have duty. Moyes has done this with Pienaar a few times and even though he pitched for the pre-tournament getogether it was 48 hours after FIFA's deadline. South Africa actually has a histroy of players simply not arriving at all for matches from foreign leagues but Perriera seems to have sorted this out a little.

It's a rather young team, with quite a few local players, but judging from performances pre-Perriera we wouldn't have qualified let alone win a match in the group stages. However, I won't be disappointed if they don't get through, but I won't be overly surprised if they make it through. It's just one of those transisional/rebuilding periods where anything can happen and fan just have to take it in their stride until things are properly settled.

I would have thought South Africa would be one of the front runners to win the tournament, but now I realise I could only name Lucas Radebe and Stephen Piennar as players!

Didier Drogba, Jon Obi Mikel, Michael Essien, Joseph Yobo: other countries have so many well known players in the competition.

DJ Ager

International Cricketer
South Africa are nowhere the force they used to be in Africa, they would probably only get into WC 2010 because they will host it, otherwise I couldn't see them qualifying for it, they were lucky to qualify for the Africa Nations Cup, I think it was only on best second placed I think, in a fairly comfortable group

I love this tournament, loads of great attacking play, although the last tournament wasn't that great as you could see the European style of play with defensive play

Maxkarter

Battrick Tournament Host
Radebe retired yonks ago, the last I remember him playing was for Leeds in the EPL. SA went through a period where the paw-paw really hit the fan and as I said it's a major recovery exercise at the moment. I do believe a certain Matty Pattison of Newcastle made it into the team though, so it could be another player on your list, not to forget Aaron Mokoena ;)

Yes incredibly lucky to qualify for AFCON, but still the team made it and I think Perriera is the man to get some meaningful progression which could lead to a decent campaign in 2010 at the WC assuming SAFA doesn't do something stupid like fire him before then.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
South Africa are nowhere the force they used to be in Africa, they would probably only get into WC 2010 because they will host it, otherwise I couldn't see them qualifying for it, they were lucky to qualify for the Africa Nations Cup, I think it was only on best second placed I think, in a fairly comfortable group

I love this tournament, loads of great attacking play, although the last tournament wasn't that great as you could see the European style of play with defensive play

A lot of African players are very creative, and that will put on a good light on the tournament.

Radebe retired yonks ago, the last I remember him playing was for Leeds in the EPL. SA went through a period where the paw-paw really hit the fan and as I said it's a major recovery exercise at the moment. I do believe a certain Matty Pattison of Newcastle made it into the team though, so it could be another player on your list, not to forget Aaron Mokoena ;)

Yes incredibly lucky to qualify for AFCON, but still the team made it and I think Perriera is the man to get some meaningful progression which could lead to a decent campaign in 2010 at the WC assuming SAFA doesn't do something stupid like fire him before then.

That proves how long ago he retired then. Leeds haven't been in the Premier League for a while!

Matty Pattison! He is no longer a Newcastle player! He signed for my team, Norwich, for three and a half years last week!

Users who are viewing this thread