2010 FIFA World Cup Discussion

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
They did indeed. They were a serious contender about 70-60 years ago. Just like Hungary were about 50-40 years ago, although they never won it despite making the final twice.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
I read on BBC text that Diego Maradona, Mr 'Cheating Git' himself has apparently asked for Fair Play at this World Cup. If there is one man on the face of the planet who isn't entitled to speak of Fair Play, it's him. Hand of God tops the list obviously, but there's also the fact that he was a drug user as well - a fact that has Pele as the best of all time for me.

What do you guys make of those 'Vuvuzela' things? I know it's a unique World Cup, being held in Africa and all, but the atmosphere reminds me of the M25 at rush hour - I found myself saying 'oh for God's sake, SHUT UP!!' I haven't heard one chant in either of the games today and that's what makes football atmosphere, not endless horn blowing! Hopefully tomorrow will be different, go for it England!

D

Dutch

I read on BBC text that Diego Maradona, Mr 'Cheating Git' himself has apparently asked for Fair Play at this World Cup. If there is one man on the face of the planet who isn't entitled to speak of Fair Play, it's him. Hand of God tops the list obviously, but there's also the fact that he was a drug user as well - a fact that has Pele as the best of all time for me.

What do you guys make of those 'Vuvuzela' things? I know it's a unique World Cup, being held in Africa and all, but the atmosphere reminds me of the M25 at rush hour - I found myself saying 'oh for God's sake, SHUT UP!!' I haven't heard one chant in either of the games today and that's what makes football atmosphere, not endless horn blowing! Hopefully tomorrow will be different, go for it England!

The Maradonna thing doesn't surprise me: he has always got his ugly hand in somewhere!

Right with you there: that noise is just irrritating after a while: sounds like a swarm of bees having prolonged orgasms. Its even more irritating than the chatter from your average sub-continent wicket-keeper, and that's saying something!

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
It didn't really bother me. I'm sure it will die down after a few days, except for South Africa's matches.

D

Dutch

It didn't really bother me. I'm sure it will die down after a few days, except for South Africa's matches.

Trouble is they have drafted in half of Soweto to fill up the crowds so I think we are going to hear that noise at all the games. I think it is great that this is being held in South Africa and it is great to see how proud and welcoming all the poeple are. I hope SA do well in the tournament and at least get through the group stage. It will be tough but tonights draw gives them more chance. They will be regretting two great chances to seal victory though against Mexico...

Cant believe the World Cup is happening: it is always something you look forward to, and then it starts and you think, my God its happening again!!!!:):p

Last edited by a moderator:

WestIndian

vBookie Team
Come on, like it or not the "Hand of God Goal" was unique, a revelation, and what about the "Goal of the Century" it was in the same game, 25 years is a long time ago, and we certainly will see nothing like these 2 goals again!!!

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
If you are behind the goalkeeper when the ball is played you are offside. He was just behind him.

That was a sensational finish. Just what this game needed. I would put money on Mexico scoring the next one though.

Ah ok. Cheers mate.

Brook

Club Captain
Wow there's a lot of bitterness about that Hand of God thing. England were nowhere in that match.

Brook added 3 Minutes and 8 Seconds later...

:eek: They won it twice!!!!????:eek:

Haha nothing personal dutch but you were schooled after trying to school.

Also Uruguay won in 1930

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors

Do South Africans go home and hear it on tv and it's music to their ears? Do they think they're making the rest of the world stand there in awe (like an amazing song or chant etc would) and they feel all proud and awesome? Don't they realise no one tweaking likes them and we want to hear sining and chants? So annoying.

Brook

Club Captain
How many times does the ball want to a) go straight at the keeper or b) go straight over the bar? Add to that crosses going long

Also most of the goals have come from really bad mistakes

Last edited:

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
1 Winner A vs Runner up B
2 Winner C vs Runner up D
3 Winner D vs Runner up C
4 Winner B vs Runner up A
5 Winner E vs Runner up F
6 Winner G vs Runner up H
7 Winner F vs Runner up E