2023 ICC Cricket World Cup (October/November) - India

Your 2023 Cricket World Cup Champions are?

• Australia

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • India

Votes: 12 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
And to be fair this was a distasteful moment from Mitchell Marsh as well. Right up there with the Ricky Ponting/Sharad Pawar moment :lol

Nothing wrong with this picture!

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
And to be fair this was a distasteful moment from Mitchell Marsh as well. Right up there with the Ricky Ponting/Sharad Pawar moment :lol

Lol, they've won it! They could dismantle and sell it off /melt it and make more medals OR convert them into robots and have a fight. :laughter:

No one cares what they choose to do with it!

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner

Its just our cultural differences, Hari! For us Indians (and maybe subcontinental too, though not 100% sure?), "placing feet on something valuable" is seen as disrespectful and insulting. Apparently not the same for other cultures.

I reacted just like you when seeing that picture :D But then I read other comments on social media and understood!

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
As usual I am again seeing all those self congratulory commiserations for India’s performance. Seems that after initial public emotional disappointment we go back to being satisfied with the team by dismissing the final loss as “just a bad day” and back to celebrating individual records. I hope the team itself introspects on why they keep losing in big knockouts and finals.

There needs to be a sporting culture in the public for sports to flourish. Seems that even former cricketers get back to this mould. We need a sports culture that fosters excellence and results. Maybe time for foreign coaches to comeback and instill a mindset change.

Verified Enigma

PlanetCricket's Sherlock Holmes
Champions League Winner
Avengers
As usual I am again seeing all those self congratulory commiserations for India’s performance. Seems that after initial public emotional disappointment we go back to being satisfied with the team by dismissing the final loss as “just a bad day” and back to celebrating individual records. I hope the team itself introspects on why they keep losing in big knockouts and finals.

There needs to be a sporting culture in the public for sports to flourish. Seems that even former cricketers get back to this mould. We need a sports culture that fosters excellence and results. Maybe time for foreign coaches to comeback and instill a mindset change.
Don't think there was any issue in the mindset of the team, this particular instance was indeed a classic case of opposition being better on the field for that particular day.

For 2019 WC as well India ended up as number 1 in the group stage but at that point there were a few flaws in the team, biggest of all being the number 4 conundrum.

That isn't the case this time around.

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
Don't think there was any issue in the mindset of the team, this particular instance was indeed a classic case of opposition being better on the field for that particular day.

For 2019 WC as well India ended up as number 1 in the group stage but at that point there were a few flaws in the team, biggest of all being the number 4 conundrum.

I don’t agree. For example the big boundary drought between overs 10 and 40 exposed a huge mindset weakness despite Rohit Sharma’s assertive captaincy.

Fear of failure was writ large on KL’s face through his innings. And Virat was also affected by KL’s role. Also after getting Australia 47/3 there was not enough attacking fields or mindset. If you didn’t have enough runs they needed to attack more. Shoulders of players dropped too easily after a couple of Aussie boundaries.

I think such moments in the big games have to be analyzed dispassionately by future teams to figure out how to overcome them. We will not magically win championships by “being the better team on the day.”

Last edited:

Bevab

Staff Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

It’s remarkable how people here think that India simply didn’t turn up and hence lost the game to Australia rather than the latter providing us a masterclass in ODI cricket and completely outplaying us in every department. Must be incredibly obnoxious to Aussie fans.

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
It’s remarkable how people here think that India simply didn’t turn up and hence lost the game to Australia rather than the latter providing us a masterclass in ODI cricket and completely outplaying us in every department. Must be incredibly obnoxious to Aussie fans.
No doubt Australia played brilliant cricket and hearty congrats to them but that shouldn’t deflect from analyzing our own failures. Calling every final or semifinal defeat as just a bad day and opposition played better cricket won’t help in the future.

I bet Australia doesn’t win big just by turning up. They analyze themselves and their opponents and execute plans brillianty.

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
If this was India’s first or second or even third final or semifinal loss in all these years I can understand the point. But repeatedly losing at the big stage deserves to be analyzed dispassionately and logically without emotional bias.

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
Analyzing one‘s own failure should not be obnoxious to opposition fans. I am not making excuses for India’s loss but rather calling for introspection and analysis for future preparation. Big difference.

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
You say they outplayed us in every department and I agree. What is am asking is for analysis on why they outplayed us. It’s not like this Indian team was vastly inferior or in poor form to be outplayed the way they were. This is the team that beat Australia in the group stage after all.

Bevab

Staff Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
You say they outplayed us in every department and I agree. What is am asking is for analysis on why they outplayed us. It’s not like this Indian team was vastly inferior or in poor form to be outplayed the way they were.

I shall try seeing it from my perspective and post in the Indian thread about it soon^TM.

Users who are viewing this thread