Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aussie In India 7 ODI

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Harishan

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
As I understand it, a deal was struck between the BCCI and CA to have these lengthy 7-match ODI series every year or a period that was too frequent. While you are quick to point the finger at BCCI, keep in mind that all the other countries stand to benefit more from a 7 ODI series than a 5-ODI one against India. Why? Because India can sell out crowds for 7 successive ODI's. And our opponents get a proportional share of the pie. CA is as much to blame for this as the BCCI is.

Yeah good point there Sohum, I guess I jumped the gun a bit too much there.
The only real thing thing I am angry with about the BCCI is scrapping the test series against SA which would have been a very good series and really tested how far we have come in the past 12 months.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Yeah good point there Sohum, I guess I jumped the gun a bit too much there.
The only real thing thing I am angry with about the BCCI is scrapping the test series against SA which would have been a very good series and really tested how far we have come in the past 12 months.
It would've been nice, of course, but let's have a look at when we've played the top sides over the last 2-3 years:

Australia: Home (2008), Away (2007-08)
South Africa: Home (2008), Away (2006-07)
England: Home (2008), Away (2007)
Sri Lanka: Home (2009), Away (2008)

So, we've played all the top teams once at home and once away in the last 3 years. Honestly, we've been due for a tour to South Africa. Unfortunately, it seems like the only time we can tour South Africa is in the winter.

The IPL has been mentioned as one reason for the scrapping of the tour, which kinda makes sense if you consider that the T20 WC is going to be just around the corner after this series. It makes more sense to play shorter-version cricket right before the WC rather than Test, even though Tests are better to watch.

Finally, the last time we hosted South Africa in India for a bilateral ODI series was back in 2005/06. This series might even be considered the ODI leg of the previous Test series that was played back in 2008... I know we've done that with Australia before (split up the ODI/Test into different tours).

All that said, if BCCI broke the FTP rules without just cause, they will be punished appropriately.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
True that we are not gonna be playing many Tests over the next year, but I still think that if the PCB and the BCCI strike an accord we could be having Tests versus Pakistan at a neutral venue.
But then,that would be just limited to 3 :crying

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Even 3 would be fine for us. Since its an away series for us, it would be good on the rankings aspect if we do well (even though Pakistan is ranked far below us). Right now, I dont mind a series against Pakistan on neutral soil.

siddharth021

School Cricketer
Too tired of India-Sri Lanka matches...

Every alternate series India plays is against SL....

We want some other opponents...

Its been long since India had a test series vs oz....

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
What's the obsession with the rankings? We shouldn't be playing series' to protect our ranking, we should be playing them so that it creates good exciting cricket.

siddharth021

School Cricketer

Agreed.

Now since Australia is no more the dominating force as it was before rankings will keep on changing with every match ,every series.

Whenever India,Australia or S.A. play a series a new rank 1 will be there.

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Test Series against Australia on the cards now, as well as one against South Africa.

Last edited:

KBC

Panel of Selectors
It would've been nice, of course, but let's have a look at when we've played the top sides over the last 2-3 years:

Australia: Home (2008), Away (2007-08)
South Africa: Home (2008), Away (2006-07)
England: Home (2008), Away (2007)
Sri Lanka: Home (2009), Away (2008)

So, we've played all the top teams once at home and once away in the last 3 years. Honestly, we've been due for a tour to South Africa. Unfortunately, it seems like the only time we can tour South Africa is in the winter.

The IPL has been mentioned as one reason for the scrapping of the tour, which kinda makes sense if you consider that the T20 WC is going to be just around the corner after this series. It makes more sense to play shorter-version cricket right before the WC rather than Test, even though Tests are better to watch.

Finally, the last time we hosted South Africa in India for a bilateral ODI series was back in 2005/06. This series might even be considered the ODI leg of the previous Test series that was played back in 2008... I know we've done that with Australia before (split up the ODI/Test into different tours).

All that said, if BCCI broke the FTP rules without just cause, they will be punished appropriately.

We've also played New Zealand this year, and the next year this time, bring NZ for a home series for india. So we've pretty much faced many good teams, What about West Indies?

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
We've also played New Zealand this year, and the next year this time, bring NZ for a home series for india. So we've pretty much faced many good teams, What about West Indies?
I was doing just the top 4 sides apart from us.

Users who are viewing this thread