A Decade At A Close - what has been the best innings of the last ten years?

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I wouldn't really call that a match winning innings. SL had bundled SA out for 169 in the first innings, and were only two wickets down when Sangakkara and Mahela were at the crease.......

Owzat

International Coach
I'm going to go with an all-rounder innings, not saying it is "the best" since it is unlikely we'll find ONE definitive innings above all others, but I think in the context of the match and series it is worthy of mention

Flintoff 102 vs Australia (Trent Bridge 2005)

Background : England had lost the 1st Test badly, a crushing 239 run defeat. England had won at Edgbaston in spite of the aussie last wicket pair adding 59 runs before a disputed catch won the match by two runs. Ponting had saved the aussies at Old Trafford, fighting off England's attempts to go 2-1 up in the series

Trent Bridge : England won the toss and batted. Trescothick and Strauss had put on 105 for the 1st wicket before a mini-collapse saw England stumble to 146/3. England recovered somewhat but, at 241/5 and with Pietersen out, the door was open for the aussies. Flintoff (102 off 132 balls) and Geraint Jones (85) then put on 177 runs and did all but carry England to nearly double their score from 241/5 to 477 all out. Without the injured Simon Jones, and with a dubious decision to enforce the follow on, England still managed to win narrowly. Flintoff added 26 in a low run chase to his 102 and 1/54 and 2/83.

Pietersen’s 158 at the Oval shut out any hope of the aussies levelling the series, but that was on a pitch where the completed innings were 373, 367 and 358 with three other hundreds in the match. Flintoff’s 102 was the only hundred of the Old Trafford Test, Geraint Jones’ 85 was the next highest score and Trescothick’s 65 in the same innings was third highest - and Flintoff wasn’t exactly grinding the runs out. That partnership is arguably what won England the Ashes, sure other innings and efforts made sure they were won, but it was a massive effort in that Test. Had England gone into the final Test 1-2 down or level at 1-1, then it is quite possible they wouldn't have regained the Ashes for the first time in nearly 20 years.

Last edited:

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
I think today's "Test-killing innings" by Virender Sehwag has gotta be one of the Best innings I have ever seen. 284 runs in less than a day, when was the anyone saw any batsman play like this? :clap

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
I think today's "Test-killing innings" by Virender Sehwag has gotta be one of the Best innings I have ever seen. 284 runs in less than a day, when was the anyone saw any batsman play like this? :clap

March 2002 Jade Stadium, New Zealand. Nathan Astle hit 222 in 50.4 overs.

Amiya

Panel of Selectors
I have seen Astle's innings highlight and it was awesome. What a display of power and technique. Same is with Sehwag today.

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
What does that have to do with anything? You asked if anyone has seen an innings like this before, Howsie is pointing out on example.

My comment was sarcasm at work, buddy :)

rahuldravidfan added 2 Minutes and 49 Seconds later...

I just came across this quote on cricinfo-

"Do you think Andrew Hilditch would have done that?"
- Sunil Gavaskar to Brad Hogg, watching Kris Srikkanth, India's chairman of selectors, whistle in approval of Virender Sehwag's century :)

Sunny is awesome :hpraise

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
I have seen Astle's innings highlight and it was awesome. What a display of power and technique. Same is with Sehwag today.

Yes. Astle was awesome. I would have liked if he would played in the IPL. Would have given this part of the world a lot more to appreciate apart from the usual. He was way too awesome than we think he was.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Although Sehwag's innings yesterday was sublime, I think his 201* in Sri Lanka was more valuable and a better innings. We were down 1-0 going into that match and he batted while everyone around him failed. He was the only one who got a measure of Mendis.

Users who are viewing this thread