An Idea for the next cricket game (if there is one ;))

angad

Chairman of Consent
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hi,
I was just thinking about how we all want a good cricket simulation, but so far none of the games have been able to give us the exact experience of actually batting or bowling in a game. Yes, IC2010 did come close with the action cam, but still it didnt feel much like a simulation (i.e. mostly the batting part).
To illustrate my point, lets take batting as an example. In a real game, batting is about judging the line and lenght of the ball, timing the ball, shot selection, trying to direct the ball into gaps and footwork! But in IC2010 (and all the previous games) all we have had to do is choose the direction and time the press of the button!

So after thinking a little about it (more so because I see a great future with trickstar developing cricket games, as these guys actually know cricket, so i thought if we can put out some ideas, and if they find it feasible, then there is a great chance of something like this being implemented) I thought of how the developers can give us a close simulation, if not exact, of the real cricket game!

Here are some ideas which, in my opinion, can make batting in the game closer to what batting is in real life:

1) The current control setup needs to change. In the current setup, we use the left analog stick to aim and then press a button on time to execute a shot. Now instead of this, how about a new setup where the right analog stick would determine the movement of the bat, i.e., the bat will move in the same way as we move the right analog stick. How this will work is, when the stick is in its original position, the bat would be where it is in a stance (when the batsman is ready to face a bowler). Now, if you want a backlift, you will move the analog stick back, and then to execute the shot you will move the stick towards the front to play a straight shot, or make a semi-circle anti-clockwise to execute a pull/slap shot depending on the foot selection! As for the left analog stick would direct the shot, but it will do so by angling the bat in the angle that you move the left stick. So say i wanna play a cover drive with a decent backlift (effect of backlift etc explained later), for this I move the right analog stick a little back and then bring it straight forward while keeping the left analog stick pushed towards 2'oclock angle, just like I would do in real life!
Now, how the various elements involved in this setup (like backlift, line of shot, opening the face of the bat using left analog stick etc) would effect the gameplay is:

- The backlift will provide power to the shot, so a perfectly timed shot with a big backlift would make the ball race faster towards the boundary. But with a big backlift, the timing would obviously be a little dicey, just as in real life, as with a short backlift the timing would be easy as the bat has a lesser distance to travel to meet the ball. But the best part is, the timing in this case would be dependant on when the bat meets the ball, instead of when the shot is executed, as in current games.

- With the bat angled, the line of movement of the bat would need to be precise, else the ball would go behind the wicket, as in real life. Or if the bat is angled towards the leg, it will give a chance to the ball to take the outside edge! For this, however, the developers would need to develop perfect bat and ball physics and would need to have seperate physics for the bat and seperate one for the ball so that both behave independantly!

2) With these controls, you would play the game just like in real life! Plus, all the actions on the field would mimic the real gameplay on an actual cricket field. There would be real play and misses, real edges, you can play shots against the spin and swing but it will increase the chances of an edge or missing the ball etc.

3) Now, all the controls above would be useless if we are not able to watch the ball as a batsman would! So for that I suggest a new camera! A 'Batsman's eye camera'! This would not be the shitty 'Inside the Helmet' camera that some cricket games (including the beloved blc99) tried to do, where the view remained the same and thus you could not see the ball once it crossed half the pitch. This new camera would move with the ball till the last second, exactly like how a batsman;'s eyes would! This would exactly mimic a real batsman's 'vision'! Whats more, for an out of form batsman, this camera system will move a little slow so as to mimic a batsman not watching the ball closely when out of form!

4) Front foot and back foot (coming down the track included) selection can be the same as it is now, i.e. assigned to L1 and L2! The lofted shot button can be assigned to R1! Different buttons for attacking and defensive shots is not required, as you yourself would be playing these shots with the right analog stick based on how much backlift and bat swing you give!

5) To those thinking this kind of a system where bat would be controlled with a stick is not possible, well we all know that the right analog stick has great precision and 360 degree movement...something that a real bat would in our hands, so if you just visualize a circle around the batsman, and think that our bat can be moved anywhere around that circle at any angle and line, then you would know that this is indeed possible, though how it can be implemented is something the developers can only think of!

These are just some ideas which I could think of in the 10 minutes of thinking that I did on this subject!! If many of you think its a feasible idea and would make the game more realistic, then we can put together our brains and get in more ideas on how to actually make this a reality, and then maybe the devellopers would be impressed with it and actually use it :)!

Good Ideas mate. IIRC, the right stick thing was used in batting mechanics of EA cricket 2007 and it did not feel intuitive at all. But if applied correctly and meticulously, your ideas are well worth having a go at. There is another thing to consider however and that is increasing popularity of motion control. I think developers will be more inclined towards developing a game based on Kinect for example that seems to naturally dovetail with mechanics involved in a cricket game.

Good Ideas mate. IIRC, the right stick thing was used in batting mechanics of EA cricket 2007 and it did not feel intuitive at all. But if applied correctly and meticulously, your ideas are well worth having a go at. There is another thing to consider however and that is increasing popularity of motion control. I think developers will be more inclined towards developing a game based on Kinect for example that seems to naturally dovetail with mechanics involved in a cricket game.

I think (correct me if im wrong) EA just used the analog stick to determine the direction, timing, and power of the shot...but the bat movement was still the same animation, you didnt have much control over it! Also, it didnt take any edges if, say, the bat was inside the line of a swinging ball! If this is to be implemented correctly, the ball has to has its own physics and the bat its own! Where the ball meets the bat (based on you movement, timing etc) will determine where the ball will go...realistically! E.g if the ball meets the bat at a very thin edge then its a easy catch to the keeper!!

Also, with the motion controllers coming into the picture, these control mechanice would easily cater to the motion controllers as well as it will give it the perfect base!

You have to raise your hat to EA though, they did bring a lot of good ideas to the game! Just the implementation was pathetic due to the budget constraints and time-frame! Even the action cam we now use was initially brought out by them....trickstar only improved on it, which would not be tht difficult as they already saw how it works, what people liked in it, what they disliked etc! So yes, EA has already tried that idea which i mentioned above, and now maybe trickstar can improve it and incorporate it in Ic2011 :)!

Agree with both of you (although IMO IC2010 is honestly the best effort since Brian Larra 99).

I would love more control on the fielding. Take MLB The Show (the most prominent example used in these forums), if they were to tweak the camera angle after batting to say, a slightly more isometric overhead perspective they could depict a good representation of the entire field and "follow the ball" as it progresses to its destination.

Meanwhile, the game would allow the player full control of the closest fielder and the rest could really be magical.

I think that for the most part the batting and bowling is pretty much spot on, get the fielding to be more involving and we'll have something special.

Oh and btw is there going to be an IC2011? I hope they release this every other year so that they have a better allocation of time and resources (lets face it they dont have the buget of EA or 2K).

Good job putting down your thoughts Angad. Have thought about something similar but never really got around to posting.

To those thinking this kind of a system where bat would be controlled with a stick is not possible, well we all know that the right analog stick has great precision and 360 degree movement...something that a real bat would in our hands, so if you just visualize a circle around the batsman, and think that our bat can be moved anywhere around that circle at any angle and line, then you would know that this is indeed possible, though how it can be implemented is something the developers can only think of!

This has already been implemented in the EA Tiger Woods PGA Tour series. The first thought that came to my mind when I played that game with analog stick control for club swing, was - wow, wouldn't this be perfect for a cricket game (the mechanics would obviously need to be adapted, but the core schema exists).

Honestly, I think if we dropped the "not invented here" mentality, there is a lot of stuff out there that Cricket games can learn from. The analog stick being one example.

As for the left analog stick would direct the shot, but it will do so by angling the bat in the angle that you move the left stick

If the right analog stick is implemented with full 360 degree control, this may not be required (I can play a cover drive by pulling the stick back, forward to the center and then to the right, and don't need an additional input to define the direction of the shot). Left analog could be for feet movement - front and back. Not like how it was implemented in EA 97, but again - a touch sensitive model. Push slightly forward and you're half cock; tap forward twice and you advance; keep it pressed forward and you do the KP / Robin Uthappa walk down the wicket.

Ah, these flights of fantasy.

Action Cam could evolve to a complete first person camera.

ha ha guys what about the farcical bowling actions?!! At least in the previous games only those who really did have slingly actions had them (eg. Shoaib, Edwards, Malinga) In IC10 half the quickies in the game has it not to mention all the off spinners have leg spin actions

And the person with the most up-right action seems to be Malinga

I really don't care for bowling actions, as long as the gameplays good.

If the right analog stick is implemented with full 360 degree control, this may not be required (I can play a cover drive by pulling the stick back, forward to the center and then to the right, and don't need an additional input to define the direction of the shot).

The right analog stick with full 360 degree control would be nice but it will not be anything new, as we are already doing that at the moment, and it wont be mimicking actual cricket (in my opinion i.e.)!

Why i suggested that Right stick should be used to only control the bat (i.e. the bat mimics the movement of the right analog stick) , and the left stick for opening the face/guiding as, say the bowler is bowling a straight delivery and you wanna try and play it towards the point region, so for this you would move the bat straight and open the face of the bat to try and get the ball towards the point region (just like in real cricket)! Now this would be risky as opening the face so much increases the chances of missing the ball totally :)!

I do like your idea of footwork though as i feel that its as important to make the game as realistic as possible :)!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread