Andy Flower or Adam Gilchrist

piriyanth

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Out of these two,who do you think was the better batsman and wicket keeper in Test and Odis, and why?

onionsoup

School Cricketer
Are you guys nuts. Andy is the best wk batsman the game has ever seen. How can you compare him to some Jilly, Millie Kelly??

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I've always ranked Flower higher. Class batsman, top 4 and carried the side compared to Gilly who played at 7 in a powerful batting lineup. Both have played a lot of great knocks, but Gilly was more likely to flail about or bully a tired bowling attack while Flower had the pressure of always needing to get a score.

Flower also kept for long periods of time as sides racked up big scores against his bowlers, and had to captain a fairly weak team to boot.

Varun

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Although Gilly is less consistent than Flower, I would choose Gilly because he is an exceptional wicketkeeper as well as an explosive batsman with a ODI strike rate about 100. Flower, though a great player in context to Zimbabwe, played slowly and couldn't turn games around much.

mdoggie

Club Cricketer
Although Gilly is less consistent than Flower, I would choose Gilly because he is an exceptional wicketkeeper as well as an explosive batsman with a ODI strike rate about 100. Flower, though a great player in context to Zimbabwe, played slowly and couldn't turn games around much.

He was a great player in any context, I mean he averaged of 51 with the bat. With the bowling attack he had, I don't there is anyone who could really turn a game around but time after time he was a lone soldier.

Andy Flower is terribly underrated, if he had played in a better team, who knows what might have been. His knocks against South Africa where he scored two centuries when the rest of his team made played like a revolving door. I have got the utmost respect for Gilley but for me Andy had a remarkable ability, he dominated bowling attacks who were high on confidence, was almost always the lone star in Zimbabwe's lineup.

mdoggie

Club Cricketer

He was a great player in any context, I mean he averaged of 51 with the bat. With the bowling attack he had, I don't there is anyone who could really turn a game around but time after time he was a lone soldier.

Andy Flower is terribly underrated, if he had played in a better team, who knows what might have been. His knocks against South Africa where he scored two centuries when the rest of his team made played like a revolving door. I have got the utmost respect for Gilley but for me Andy had a remarkable ability, he dominated bowling attacks who were high on confidence, was almost always the lone star in Zimbabwe's lineup.

TumTum

International Cricketer
Are you guys nuts. Andy is the best wk batsman the game has ever seen.

Gilly reckons otherwise.

Andy never played in Australia and only 2 times in England and once in SA. His stats are big because he has played Bangladesh and India so many times.

Compare him to Gilly who has achieved so much in his career it is hard to write them all down.

Last edited:

Robelinda

International Coach
Flower was a fine fine player. Gilchrist was a fine fine player.

End of thread.

Why the insane need to compare?? It never reveals anything useful. :facepalm:facepalm:facepalm

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Are you serial! Another comparison thread, and between two great players :facepalm

onionsoup

School Cricketer
Gilly reckons otherwise.

Andy never played in Australia and only 2 times in England and once in SA. His stats are big because he has played Bangladesh and India so many times.

Compare him to Gilly who has achieved so much in his career it is hard to write them all down.

sorry sorry I mixed gilchrist with andy :doh

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Both are exceptional players, but Andy's position in International cricket - low profile nation, need to face many top class bowlers, exposure to different & many pressure situations etc, gains a soft corner in me. Both are precious gems in International cricket.

irottev

School Cricketer
Considering Flower played in a considerably weaker side which is an obvious disadvantage then maybe him. I don't really want to choose. Both were pretty exceptional.

TumTum

International Cricketer
Flower has never played a Test match in Australia and only twice in England and once in SA.

He was in a much weaker team but he still faced weak opposition. You can't compare him to someone like Lara who actually played against good sides and made runs against them.

Users who are viewing this thread