SLIDERS - Around the world in 80 pitch sliders.....again

jwestbury661

School Cricketer
Just completed day 1 at the Gabba, keep having to restart tests to try new sliders, im having a lot of good play using @WealeyH sliders but on veteran and only dropping the run rate and leaving wicket chance on 50 (probably because i still struggle with bowling). Anyway AUS won the toss ajd bat of course, got some beautiful wickets with Broad and used your bowling tips @Rumple43. Getting Smith for a duck was so satisfying, properly celebrated it . Then i got a run out that i couldnt avoid (normally i thrown to opposite end to avoid running them out. Still hate that AI take stupid runs but hopefully that is patched out (im on xbox). Anyway, Carey and Wade put up a huge partnership but immediately with the new ball Anderson struck with a lovely outswinger getting the LBW. Anyway ive only got back into cricket these last few months after a 10 year break from it so my knowledge of the game is a bit limited and therefore i cant really provide great feedback but love the sliders and this thread, will keep testing things.

Attachments

• d6cdb0b3-1790-4ee8-b772-3370d64441c1.png
    d6cdb0b3-1790-4ee8-b772-3370d64441c1.png
    816.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 7effcaae-a25f-4729-98df-fe71f7c774e2.png
    7effcaae-a25f-4729-98df-fe71f7c774e2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 41

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Just completed day 1 at the Gabba, keep having to restart tests to try new sliders, im having a lot of good play using @WealeyH sliders but on veteran and only dropping the run rate and leaving wicket chance on 50 (probably because i still struggle with bowling). Anyway AUS won the toss ajd bat of course, got some beautiful wickets with Broad and used your bowling tips @Rumple43. Getting Smith for a duck was so satisfying, properly celebrated it . Then i got a run out that i couldnt avoid (normally i thrown to opposite end to avoid running them out. Still hate that AI take stupid runs but hopefully that is patched out (im on xbox). Anyway, Carey and Wade put up a huge partnership but immediately with the new ball Anderson struck with a lovely outswinger getting the LBW. Anyway ive only got back into cricket these last few months after a 10 year break from it so my knowledge of the game is a bit limited and therefore i cant really provide great feedback but love the sliders and this thread, will keep testing things.
Love this! Awesome to hear you have a good, engaging match on your hands even tho you're still testing.

Your reply also perfectly illustrates pretty much exactly the sort of approach needed towards using sliders, it's not one size fits all.

Taking a bit from here, a bit from there, a bit from your own testing and matches, a bit from how you like your cricket bat vs ball, add it all together and it makes an experience that's fun and authentic but more importantly suited to your play style and ability.

Ultimately, that's all we're striving for between us. Top work!

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
V1 of the slider spreadsheet should be live tomorrow morning, for those interested!
I started typing this update at 11:49am local time, so I'm still sticking to the my claim of "live tomorrow morning" as being accurate!

Attached is v1 of the spreadsheet.

Here are some important things to consider:

Some slider values are probably wrong. In fact, they could well be wrong in multiple places

That's the point of publishing them, and having a version history attached. Sliders go out into the world, people play with them, find how usable/accurate/broken they are, then we revise and publish another version.

If you use any of the sliders and have a game, come back in here and report what happened. Say what was good, say what wasn't good. Say what changes you made and if they worked. That's how we keep this project moving and improve it version on version.

Some parts of the world are harder for batting than others

The sliders in v1 have a hierarchy of conditions. They are as follows:

(Bowler friendly) West Indies --> South Africa --> Asia --> England/NZ --> Australia (Batter friendly)

That's the scale.

Can you make 400+ batting in the West Indies? Sure, but it'll be hard, it's only happened twice since February of 2019 IRL.

Will you automatically make 400+ batting in Australia? No, you'll have to bat well to do it, it isn't just a given. Ask England.

User ability is a thing

These sliders are not just plug and play

If 100% of people just copy them down from the spreadsheet and put them straight into the game, 90% are probably going to be disappointed. The settings needs to be tailored to your own ability, how you like test cricket to be played, how you like the AI to play, there's loads of variables. It's not a one size fits all kind of deal.

I currently play on Veteran difficulty. Others will play on Legend, etc. etc. The difficulty level between even myself and Wealey is fairly noticeable. We both have fun playing our own way tho.

The spreadsheet is a guide, a starting point. No doubt with some trial and error of your own, you'll find something even better for you.

The spreadsheet itself

All you need to do is download it, click the dropdown box at the top of the one sheet available and off you go. All formula are hidden and can't be accidentally edited. It should be pretty hard to break! The sheet is designed so that the drop down box is the only thing that can be edited.

I managed to DL it fine on a laptop and on my phone. The only issue with a phone is you need some form of app to view excel files if you want to do it that way.

Thanks to @WealeyH for his hard work on this one, and the others who have chipped in as well. It is a group effort and your time and expertise are thoroughly appreciated.

I'll put the spreadsheet on the first post so it doesn't just get lost in this wider thread.

Let me know how you all get on!

Attachments

• Cricket 22 - Pitch Slider Spreadsheet v1 21 12 2021.xlsx
    42.9 KB · Views: 321

disco123

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Great stuff - thank you both for your time and effort on this , I'm sure much appreciated by the whole community

Ken Tremendous

International Cricketer
I started typing this update at 11:49am local time, so I'm still sticking to the my claim of "live tomorrow morning" as being accurate!

Some slider values are probably wrong. In fact, they could well be wrong in multiple places

That's the point of publishing them, and having a version history attached. Sliders go out into the world, people play with them, find how usable/accurate/broken they are, then we revise and publish another version.

If you use any of the sliders and have a game, come back in here and report what happened. Say what was good, say what wasn't good. Say what changes you made and if they worked. That's how we keep this project moving and improve it version on version.

(Bowler friendly) West Indies --> South Africa --> Asia --> England/NZ --> Australia (Batter friendly)

That's the scale.

Can you make 400+ batting in the West Indies? Sure, but it'll be hard, it's only happened twice since February of 2019 IRL.

Will you automatically make 400+ batting in Australia? No, you'll have to bat well to do it, it isn't just a given. Ask England.

User ability is a thing

If 100% of people just copy them down from the spreadsheet and put them straight into the game, 90% are probably going to be disappointed. The settings needs to be tailored to your own ability, how you like test cricket to be played, how you like the AI to play, there's loads of variables. It's not a one size fits all kind of deal.

I currently play on Veteran difficulty. Others will play on Legend, etc. etc. The difficulty level between even myself and Wealey is fairly noticeable. We both have fun playing our own way tho.

The spreadsheet is a guide, a starting point. No doubt with some trial and error of your own, you'll find something even better for you.

The spreadsheet itself

All you need to do is download it, click the dropdown box at the top of the one sheet available and off you go. All formula are hidden and can't be accidentally edited. It should be pretty hard to break! The sheet is designed so that the drop down box is the only thing that can be edited.

I managed to DL it fine on a laptop and on my phone. The only issue with a phone is you need some form of app to view excel files if you want to do it that way.

Thanks to @WealeyH for his hard work on this one, and the others who have chipped in as well. It is a group effort and your time and expertise are thoroughly appreciated.

I'll put the spreadsheet on the first post so it doesn't just get lost in this wider thread.

Excellent work - going to begin some playing and testing on these today.

First up, England v India at The Oval...

Ken Tremendous

International Cricketer
First up, England v India at The Oval...
Not sure whats going on with the Oval deck, but anyway :lol

1640102315950.png

India won the toss and put me in, im 26/0 from 11 overs, Burns and Hameed batting very carefully early on and needing to, as its doing a fair amount in the air (ive set it to Spring season) and off the deck. Good searching test match bowling from Bumrah especially, very testing. Looking forward to this one, the first official match with the first official slider release, new custom settings in play as per the spready...

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England

View attachment 259810

India won the toss and put me in, im 26/0 from 11 overs, Burns and Hameed batting very carefully early on and needing to, as its doing a fair amount in the air (ive set it to Spring season) and off the deck. Good searching test match bowling from Bumrah especially, very testing. Looking forward to this one, the first official match with the first official slider release, new custom settings in play as per the spready...
What is that pitch all about?!

I mean, the text you put is great, love to see it, but....

That pitch?! Ha!

Ken Tremendous

International Cricketer
What is that pitch all about?!

I mean, the text you put is great, love to see it, but....

That pitch?! Ha!
Ive no idea, not like ive not played on grassy/medium before, its like some sort of arrow made in photoshop or something, i mean its not affecting gameplay at all so ill take it for the quirk it is!

Interesting though, could it be related to this pitch, at this ground?

Could you start a quick test on it then quit, same grassy/med at the Oval and see if it does it for you? If so it must be ground related.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Ive no idea, not like ive not played on grassy/medium before, its like some sort of arrow made in photoshop or something, i mean its not affecting gameplay at all so ill take it for the quirk it is!

Interesting though, could it be related to this pitch, at this ground?

Could you start a quick test on it then quit, same grassy/med at the Oval and see if it does it for you? If so it must be ground related.
I'm not in front of my PS4 at the moment, sadly. I will next time I get a chance though. You on PC?

Monzi

Panel of Selectors
The Boys
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

That's the scale.

User ability is a thing

The spreadsheet itself

I have been silently following this amazing effort. Thank you so much! This takes the game to next level. I was playing with Eng- Grassy Med yesterday. It was an amazing experience. I have to put enough effort to score runs and leaving balls now is much more dangerous as green marker balls do hit the top of the bails now. I have already lost one wicket like that.

One annoying part is the spinners quicker deliveries. No idea, how to fix it.

Last edited:

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
I have been silently following this amazing effort. Thank you so much! This takes the game to next level. I was playing with Eng- Grassy Med yesterday. It was an amazing experience. I have to put enough effort to score runs and leaving now is much more dangerous as green marker bowls do hit the top of the bails now. I have already lost one wicket like that.

One annoying part is the spinners quicker deliveries. No idea, how to fix it.
It has been suggested this could be due to the difference between bowling min/max settings, where as others have suggested it's the high spin bounce slider, since the "quicker" delivery isn't actually the spinner's effort ball, it's the bounce delivery instead.

In v1 of the spreadsheet, the bounce slider has been toned back to 60 across the board.

Out of interest, what have you got it set to? I did have a 75, knocked it to 60, and I want to say it is better now. That's purely an eye test though.

Oh, and thank you for the kind words. It's a team effort, I just made the sheet. We'll all keep up the good work and I'm sure you'll join in as well! :)

Monzi

Panel of Selectors
The Boys
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
It has been suggested this could be due to the difference between bowling min/max settings, where as others have suggested it's the high spin bounce slider, since the "quicker" delivery isn't actually the spinner's effort ball, it's the bounce delivery instead.

In v1 of the spreadsheet, the bounce slider has been toned back to 60 across the board.

Out of interest, what have you got it set to? I did have a 75, knocked it to 60, and I want to say it is better now. That's purely an eye test though.

Oh, and thank you for the kind words. It's a team effort, I just made the sheet. We'll all keep up the good work and I'm sure you'll join in as well! :)
Makes sense. I did reduce the spin bounce to 70. Though it showed reduced speed in the "speed HUD" but not too many differences. It was weird to be struggling against spin in Eng conditions. Leach's economy was 1 for the first 6-7 overs. Now it's around 2 after 8 more overs.

Let me try to notch it down to 60 and see how it is. Will provide more updates soon.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner

View attachment 259810

Joe Root telling Anderson and Broad where to pitch it.

Users who are viewing this thread