SLIDERS - Around the world in 80 pitch sliders.....again

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Hi guys. So I’m going to use the sliders you provided thank you. So do you alter this depending on the pitch type every time or just stick with it? Just in career mode so not sure if I can handle altering every game
There's a set of sliders for most pitch types, but I've not dived into career mode yet to see what you can do in terms of pitch settings before games.

At present, I have the six pitch types set up at presets that I can just flick to depending on the set up.

I guess even if you can't set the pitch type in career, you could still go with a reasonable guess as to the type of pitch you're playing on. Unless BA has set the career up so you have to play on dry, hard pitches in English club/county cricket and so on, that'd be daft! Once you reach county and international teams, it should be pretty easy to see what stadium you're in and match the pitch and sliders accordingly.

If career mode is multi-format though, that could be where you'll struggle. These sliders are all set for first class cricket, and might not be much cop in white ball games.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Speaking of white ball cricket, I finally managed to get back on my PS4 and delve into my previously mentioned T20 sliders. If you just want the sliders and don't want the waffle, they are in a spoiler box at the bottom of this post. Scroll down, I won't be offended, honest.... :spy

Anyway I played 2 games, both England v Scotland, with me taking a turn as both teams.

It was.....alright haha

Let me preface the following with this. I'm not a huge T20 fan anyway, though fair play if that is your thing. Whilst I did find the two games I played (plus one or two others I've completed elsewhere) to be decent enough, they didn't really blow me away. I'm not hankering to smash a load more of them out, put it that way. The main reason for this is that in my opinion, T20 cricket appears to be right in the wheel house of what Cricket 22 struggles with the most.

Fielding is a big one, and some of the fielding in both games was, in short, abysmal. In a format where runs are a premium, some of the fielding decisions and animations and all the rest are put under an even greater spotlight. The other main issue is the AI playing unrealistic shots when batting that a) look dumb and jarring considering where the ball is delivered to where it ends up going and b) as a user you can't do the same.

First up, I went with the harder option and played as Scotland. As mentioned, the sliders and settings are at the bottom of this post. I went with a standard, medium pitch both times, with no cracks and day 1 wear. A good batting strip for white ball cricket.

1641299857379.png
Didn't get much love from England, tbh. I had about 5 or 6 edges that all found a gap, but I couldn't really get any kind of pressure going as they smashed it around at will.

I caught three guys in the deep, there was a run out that was a genuine run out, it was about the best I was going to do I think, unless those edges had gone to a fielder early on.

So often the AI would also find a gap and be able to run two against an outfielder, because they'd just be so slow getting to the ball, doing their animation and getting the ball back. That probably cost me 30 runs, easily. Or it could be that Scotland's players just have low running, throwing attributes, idk.

Could I chase down 189? It seemed unlikely, but I was certainly going to give it a go!

This helped, from my opener:

1641299976801.png
Nice effort from the left hander, plenty of love through midwicket and through the covers, with three sixes, which was nice to see and it's something I tend to find lacking. Too many balls tend to bounce a foot from the rope and don't go all the way.

Munsey was about the only bright spot in my innings though.

1641300039651.png
Needing 9.5 an over led to an aggressive batting strategy that simply wasn't sustainable against a much stronger team. In the end I got 7 or 8 down and slowed to just trying to make 140 and lose more respectfully, but it wasn't to be.

During my innings, I did enjoy this one, that I want to say is the AI jumping to save a six but could just be a glitch and a dropped catch. I'll give the game the benefit of the doubt, though.

In short, the AI was better than I was and I couldn't stop them. That's pretty much what I was after, anyway.

Result - England (AI) wins by 67 runs

Could we repeat the same thing going the other way?

I won the toss and decided I wanted to chase, so Scotland went in first up.

1641300643653.png
1641300692282.png
This is where the annoyance started to creep in. Golden duck to start, that was great. Then the AI put 50+ on no bother. The number of times I got lofted to cow corner during the power play with the one-foot flick from outside off stump made me want to put my head through the TV. If you put a man down there, they just go either side of him anyway!

As I mentioned previously, this format just seems to put too much strain on already papered over cracks in the game play and engine. The AI has to score at a set rate, I get that, but it then starts to play janky looking shots to all parts that look so out of place in order to maintain that set rate. It all starts to become really contrived. I even got lifted to finest fine leg three times in two overs by tail enders, from deliveries a full set of stumps outside off. Horrible.

Still, the AI as Scotland scored 38 runs less than when they were England, and I had a more manageable chase on my hands.

1641300972948.png
Made it, fairly comfortably, though I did take it down to the last over knocking them off once I got it down to a run a ball when I still needed 50 or 60.

Jason Roy aside, you'll see I had success with Malan, Morgan and Ali (all left handed), and struggled with Buttler, Bairstow and Livingstone (all right handed). I'm sure you can work out why. The AI can easily just ring the off side, bowl outside off and then it's really hard to put the ball into the gaps, or loft it over the infield. I know you can do the aggressive precision shot, but that just feels cheap.

Would I have knocked these off easier if I was a better T20 player? Probably, these things are always ability/difficulty subjective anyway. I hit some shots that I enjoyed. I got out caught behind off mistimed shot three times. The AI bowled at my legs too much. It was all fairly standard stuff.

Result - England (Me) wins by 4 wickets

So there you go. The good team beats the bad team, regardless of who controlled them. If you want to take what I was working with and carry on, expand the box below and give it a go. Just be aware, these sliders are probably a long way from the finished article. With any kind of extended play testing, some serious tweaks and alterations may become apparent. Not least with the AI run rate, which is a bit of a guess but gave two decent outcomes in the games I played.

I was playing on a Standard, medium pitch, no cracks, slow wear.

Hard match difficulty (though I think this gets replaced by your custom difficulty anyway.

1641302935312.png

1641302958365.png

1641302978713.png

1641303001804.png

1641303021390.png

The sliders most closely resemble the Australian settings in v1 of the slider spreadsheet, which are the existing settings that favour batters the most. I've then made some additional boosts to batting sliders to further emphasise that. Shot force, ideal power boost, ball bounce and so on.

I feel I'm going to go back to test cricket for the time being, with Wealey's reskilled breakthrough I want to give that a good look next. If you do play some T20s or ODIs, let me know how you get on.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Did the same thing the other day @Rumple43 as per this post...

As you say, it really does accentuate the fielding problems in short format - things you thankfully dont see much of in the tests we play.

Like you...back to real cricket.
Ah, I missed that one. Spot on tho!

A few things annoyed me, mainly when I was fielding as Scotland so it could be attributes, but England pinching 2 when my fielders were just sluggish, The animation to take the bails off is occasionally quick, but most of the time glacially slow, and that's if the keeper or bowler actually stays within touching distance of the stumps when they take the ball. Sometimes they just run off elsewhere so they can't actually reach the stumps anyway!

Also, I reckon 3 or 4 times there was a lofted shot that if they'd gone for it, the deep fielder could have got under. Instead, they are just so incredibly passive and stand a yard behind where the ball will bounce and then wait. Take it on the hop, throw it back.

Charge it down! Get under the thing, don't just stand there and watch it. I think the whole thing was made worse because I knew I needed to field well as an inferior side to beat England, then literally everything in the field instead was, well, inferior haha

In summary, I agree with your sentiment, back to real cricket!

Ken Tremendous

International Cricketer
Ah, I missed that one. Spot on tho!

A few things annoyed me, mainly when I was fielding as Scotland so it could be attributes, but England pinching 2 when my fielders were just sluggish, The animation to take the bails off is occasionally quick, but most of the time glacially slow, and that's if the keeper or bowler actually stays within touching distance of the stumps when they take the ball. Sometimes they just run off elsewhere so they can't actually reach the stumps anyway!

Also, I reckon 3 or 4 times there was a lofted shot that if they'd gone for it, the deep fielder could have got under. Instead, they are just so incredibly passive and stand a yard behind where the ball will bounce and then wait. Take it on the hop, throw it back.

Charge it down! Get under the thing, don't just stand there and watch it. I think the whole thing was made worse because I knew I needed to field well as an inferior side to beat England, then literally everything in the field instead was, well, inferior haha

In summary, I agree with your sentiment, back to real cricket!
Tried an ODI t'other day too, that wasnt as bad as the T20, but the compulsion that the AI has that it MUST hit a boundary per over totally ruins it really.

Im currently replaying the first test at Centurion (Durban Fields) between South Africa and India with the same sides....its so much better, and if BA do something about the legside bowling to opposite handed batsman we could be onto a winner.

Trying a medium deck rather than hard from the set, at the moment the set has 4 hard and 2 med, so med for SA evens it out to 3 apiece, with hard its just impossible to get an LBW or bowled unless you pitch it right up at the moment.

Maybe something to ponder for v2 of the spreadsheet.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
For anyone interested, I managed to grab some pitch wear data today. I'll write it up after I've sourced some more tomorrow, so watch this space. I'm sure you're all going to struggle to sleep tonight now....

Short answer, I think pitch wear is a thing. Sort of haha

I'm not quite sure how/why it works as it does, but from the stuff I found today, there is "something" at least.

disco123

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Min max speed will make the ball zip a bit more. Raising both sliders will do it. Visual speed isn't something I've tinkered with yet but may well achieve the same thing without the need for changing anything on the physics side.

The marker displays will probably be in the general settings menu. I'm not in front of my PS4 to check but if you've looked thru there (from the main menu rather than in game) then I'm not sure if you can turn it off at present.
Ramped it up to 90 on max speed , makes for much more challenging batting , and added to the sliders you guys have provided I’m enjoying the game a lot , just need running between wickets , run outs , shot direction , and AI boundary smash sorted and we’re onto a winner ….

Irtileaf

Club Captain
There's a set of sliders for most pitch types, but I've not dived into career mode yet to see what you can do in terms of pitch settings before games.

At present, I have the six pitch types set up at presets that I can just flick to depending on the set up.

I guess even if you can't set the pitch type in career, you could still go with a reasonable guess as to the type of pitch you're playing on. Unless BA has set the career up so you have to play on dry, hard pitches in English club/county cricket and so on, that'd be daft! Once you reach county and international teams, it should be pretty easy to see what stadium you're in and match the pitch and sliders accordingly.

If career mode is multi-format though, that could be where you'll struggle. These sliders are all set for first class cricket, and might not be much cop in white ball games.
Mate,
I am using the spreadsheet sliders. Where can I find the 6 different pitch type sliders? Can you please guide. Thankyou.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Mate,
I am using the spreadsheet sliders. Where can I find the 6 different pitch type sliders? Can you please guide. Thankyou.
In the top left of the spreadsheet is the drop down box. There are six different pitch types/countries that you can change that drop down box to.

Each option will give a different set of sliders when selected.

i.n

Club Captain
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Hi Rumple43 what would you use for west indies track thinking of doing a test series .

and many thanks to yourself and wealey and anyone else for all the work you guys have put in.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Hi Rumple43 what would you use for west indies track thinking of doing a test series .

and many thanks to yourself and wealey and anyone else for all the work you guys have put in.
There's a West Indies set up in the slider spreadsheet.

It's a dry/grassy hard track that offers help to both pace and spin, and is amongst the hardest to bat on for both teams.

Good luck!

i.n

Club Captain
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
There's a West Indies set up in the slider spreadsheet.

It's a dry/grassy hard track that offers help to both pace and spin, and is amongst the hardest to bat on for both teams.

Good luck!
Thanks pal will look forward to it .

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Thanks pal will look forward to it .
Patience is the key, you'll find you may get yourself into trouble if you're driving too much, especially at the really wide stuff. You'll be playing a James Vince Test Simulator otherwise :-D

Get your guy in, try to play straight where you can, proper fundamentals and the like. Ok timing inputs will draw edges on those settings, not just early/late.

xjdboix

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
when we make a custom difficulty with these sliders does it automatically select and carry over from the main menu or do we have to change it every game?

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
when we make a custom difficulty with these sliders does it automatically select and carry over from the main menu or do we have to change it every game?
I'd make them in the main menu to begin with, that's the first step.

You'll then need to load your match up or start one, pause and go to settings and make sure your custom difficulty is selected. It probably won't be by default.

Just to be safe, quit your match and save it, then reload it. The settings should then work fine.

The save, quit, reload thing might not be needed these days, but it was an issue in previous builds

Users who are viewing this thread