Ashes Cricket PC Released

Wavelberry

International Cricketer
I don't think in all honesty I can justify buying this game at £50 judging by the state of play at the moment with regards to bugs and batting.

If it were £35 I'd take a punt but as is I'll wait to see how the updates go. Aside from the newer bowling mechanic and the obvious Ashes bells and whistles it doesn't seem like I'm missing out on much just staying on DBC17.

Chief

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I don't think in all honesty I can justify buying this game at £50 judging by the state of play at the moment with regards to bugs and batting.

£50 is really prohibitive. I can only see the real hardcore paying that (although hey: it's usually only the hardcore that buy it on PC, so they can probably charge what they like!). I was expecting full price, but that's... fuller price. :)

zerosun9

Club Cricketer
I'll add in a positive review.

Paid 60 CAD, which is fine. BigAnt is the only one making decent cricket games, and because of the comparatively low volume of sales, I don't mind paying 60 (Ashes) + 55 (DBC 17) in a single year.

Of course they have low sales at that price! They'd make more money and sales if they dropped the prices of their games way down to $30-40USD, but they seem fine with only offering it to the hardcore folks.

Steam top sellers go by units sold, surely they want more units sold rather than fewer more expensive ones? I just can't fathom it.

Chief

Panel of Selectors
Of course they have low sales at that price! They'd make more money and sales if they dropped the prices of their games way down to $30-40USD, but they seem fine with only offering it to the hardcore folks.

Steam top sellers go by units sold, surely they want more units sold rather than fewer more expensive ones? I just can't fathom it.

Yeah. Particularly while the console ad campaigns are still running and the Ashes is still on. (Which is, sadly, looking like it might be over in the next couple of days!) :(

Bleddyn

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Canada
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

The $60 CDN that @hackoder mentioned would convert to about $46 USD. Not too far off of what you say is acceptable. Prices in North America seem very reasonable, other countries not so much.

jabbathehut

County Cricketer
Its very disheartening that the console versions can be bought in argos for £20 yet the pc version is 49.99 with no prospect of it being cheaper at all as its only available via steam.
Where in video games do you find the pc version more expensive that the console version.
I will stick with db17 for now.[/QUOTE]

Spoobir

Thread of the Month March 2018
That's the whole problem with Big Ant, so much contempt and talking down to buyers. Ever since DBC14 Ross and Co have been rude, condisending and down right reprehensible.

Eh, I don't think it's quite as bad as you say. It's just funny because in the context of that discussion Ross was effectively saying that price has no bearing on sales...

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Its very disheartening that the console versions can be bought in argos for £20 yet the pc version is 49.99 with no prospect of it being cheaper at all as its only available via steam.
Where in video games do you find the pc version more expensive that the console version.
I will stick with db17 for now.

Playing devil's advocate, here are a few points...

1. PC version was released today whereas console version's price was dropped after a month. Maybe in a month's time you will see a similar pattern for the PC version?
2. PC version will get continual and much more frequent updates & support compared to the console versions.
3. The number of console players outnumber the ones on PC. But yeah I'm a bit surprised as well that the console version is available at such a low price compared to what we saw for DBC 14 & 17.

zuhayr92

Club Cricketer
Eh, I don't think it's quite as bad as you say. It's just funny because in the context of that discussion Ross was effectively saying that price has no bearing on sales...
When they themselves accept that it's a niche product then some solid customer relations can go a long way. Some of the most well liked gaming and gaming peripheral companies are those that charge high prices but have excellent customer service

Spoobir

Thread of the Month March 2018
When they themselves accept that it's a niche product then some solid customer relations can go a long way. Some of the most well liked gaming and gaming peripheral companies are those that charge high prices but have excellent customer service

I mean, they are excellent at taking suggestions from the community and implementing what we want. I'd rather have that and accept Ross' rudeness than the other way around where we get some nice smiley PR bullshit but otherwise the community is ignored.

Users who are viewing this thread