Ashes Cricket Review/Impression Thread

zayno

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
my honest opinion of ashes cricket on xbox one regular with the latest patch installed is that the batting is better shot variatons than DBC 17, the bowling is same and the additons of standard controls makes it more options in gameplay which is good.

However the game is struggling with frame rate issues and ball jittering issues and stuttering gameplay in night matches and afternoon matches as well. the fielding 1 running camera angle is needs to be fixed and screen tearing appears when using the broadcast 1 running camera angle. these jittering issues and stuttering gameplay on xbox one regular was not there in don bradman cricket 17. Even night games where smooth . the only time you see the strange jittering with the ball was when you played with certain custom created stadiums, in ashes cricket the jittering motion occurs even on the on disc stadiums.

The next thing is the easy sixes need to be fixed as well and better field placement by AI. However the sweep shot is much improved from dbc 17.

If a smooth frame rate was achieved in DBC 17 I am sure a patch could fix the night matches issues and camera issues and ball jittering issues in ashes cricket.if these issues are fixed than we have a game that is leaps and bounds ahead of dbc 17 in terms of gameplay and a recipe for further cricket games to come.

Hester

County Cricketer
my honest opinion of ashes cricket on xbox one regular with the latest patch installed is that the batting is better shot variatons than DBC 17, the bowling is same and the additons of standard controls makes it more options in gameplay which is good.

However the game is struggling with frame rate issues and ball jittering issues and stuttering gameplay in night matches and afternoon matches as well. the fielding 1 running camera angle is needs to be fixed and screen tearing appears when using the broadcast 1 running camera angle. these jittering issues and stuttering gameplay on xbox one regular was not there in don bradman cricket 17. Even night games where smooth . the only time you see the strange jittering with the ball was when you played with certain custom created stadiums, in ashes cricket the jittering motion occurs even on the on disc stadiums.

The next thing is the easy sixes need to be fixed as well and better field placement by AI. However the sweep shot is much improved from dbc 17.

If a smooth frame rate was achieved in DBC 17 I am sure a patch could fix the night matches issues and camera issues and ball jittering issues in ashes cricket.if these issues are fixed than we have a game that is leaps and bounds ahead of dbc 17 in terms of gameplay and a recipe for further cricket games to come.

Also, the ball was visible in dbc17... Unlike in Ashes cricket...

The_Pharoah

International Coach
as a big player of leg glances, I'm really enjoying the new batting shots although i'm still trying to figure out the proper leg glance (should be a back foot shot to fine leg).

The_Pharoah

International Coach
From my experience playing the fine leg glance is buggy, a lot of the time the batsmen hits it into himself...

ah fair enough. I've noticed that the back foot shots are a bit clunky as well eg. i've missed everyone of my hook shots even though i vary the timing. But yes, playing leg glances (even to square leg or finer) should be a back foot shot played off the pads. currently it looks funny.

The_Pharoah

International Coach
after having played 2-3 days' worth, all i can say is...wow. Its like they've gone through a lot of the comments/responses on here and implemented it. I'm only focused on the career mode but my initial thoughts so far:

1. UI is so much better
2. the main career screen is well done..with basically everything you want to know at a glance
3. I LOVE the fact that you get a final choice on uniforms just before the games. One of my biggest bugbears in DB17 was using downloaded teams but with wrong uniforms (eg. wearing whites in a T20 or one dayer, etc)
3. Batting....love it. So many new shot animations esp the leg glance. I absolutely love the batting stance now...it looks like they've copied a bit from Steve Smiths' little bounce just before he plays a shot. Either way, i like it.
4. The HUD (or whatever) FINALLY has everything we wanted ie. scoring rate, bowler info (with LS), target score/balls, etc.
5. I also love the little touches like playing in a stadium (I'm still at club cricket and enjoying it) - suddenly going from quiet to a loud crowd. I love how the crowd 'oohs' and 'aahhs' and claps, etc esp when you score a century.
6. FINALLY they've adjusted the 50 and 100 celebrations.
7. the old glove tap between batsmen when they score a 100 run partnership is a nice touch
8. another thing they've fixed is constantly making bowlers bowl around the wicket. Now left handed bowlers bowl over the wicket and vice versa for right was good to see a left fast try around the wicket.
9. I don't know if this was in before but I noticed now that a left arm fast bowled short but to a proper field setting (got caught). Also i mishit a hook and he bowled another bouncer. pretty cool. set me up.
10. I honestly love the fielding radar. I've saved so much time by referring to it instead of constantly doing the 360. I still also do a first person view as well.
11. batting modifiers are excellent. I've seen some pretty good swing bowling too.
12. the player models look really good especially the bowling animations...so good.
13. the batting animations are really good as well, esp the sweep shot.

The above is mostly a list of my bugbears from DB14/17 which have been sorted in AC. Well done BA.

Now my new bugbears/requests:

1. there is an issue where i will cut a ball and it will shoot to the leg side. Done this about 4-5 times already. Weird...like it hits the inside of the bat.
2. Please BA please....GIVE US PROPER SHOES!!!! lol...the default ones are ugly af. yeah i know you can create your own (and the issues with licensing Nike, etc) but it would be nice if you could add this to the community search like bats, etc.
3. I would love to be able to take a face scan and have that incorporated into my career player (kinda like NBA 2k18 does). yes i know budget and all but hey dreams are free.
4. I wish there were more 3 day and 1 day matches.
5. There's still the issue of getting stumped because your player walks out of his crease against a spinner.

Otherwise I'm really enjoying this game. Can't wait to see what BA does with it in the future.

*edit*
I've raised a bug in the bug thread where i play a cut shot and the ball goes flying to square leg - watched it in slow motion and it appears the ball hits the bottom of the horizontal bat but then goes 90 deg right (impossible). This should either go straight down or deflect towards my stumps at the most....not fly to square leg at a rate of knots.

Last edited:

jtaylor1409

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
I've been playing the career mode aspect of the game for a series on my YT channel, and have to say as the first cricket game I've played since the glory days of Brian Lara I am absolutely blown away by the progress made in gaming and the quality of the Ashes Cricket title. I never played DBC17 but from the videos I've seen of it this is another step up the ladder in terms of quality. Couldn't recommend it enough!

Users who are viewing this thread