Asia Cup 2018 - UAE (September 2018)

Who do you think will win the Asia Cup 2018?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How badly has Sri Lankan cricket fallen? Feel really sad for them.

It's been happening for the last few years now, they were alright in the Champions Trophy, disappointed to see them slump like this, especially with return of Malinga, who was actually pretty good in their 1st match.

Return to colombo.door close for Lanka

143 for 5
158 all out in 41 overs

2 wickets each by Rashid,mujeeb,Nabi and naib

They won 2 series out of 14 series in two years plus, poor team selection, worst batting and dropped catching list they are listed as number 9 team on dropping 144 catches.

Afghanistan and Australia on top in dropping less catches than anyone.

https://m.cricbuzz.com/cricket-commentary/20742/ind-vs-hk-4th-match-group-a-asia-cup-2018

Ind vs HK, Dubai

Starts at 05:00 PM IST (11:30 GMT), Sep 18

Preview

Hong Kong's initiation to Asia Cup 2018 was a forgettable one, but a faulty start has been a bad habit that they've not been able to get rid of big tournaments. In most such previous tournaments - like the Asia Cup qualifiers and the T20 WC qualifiers - they've had the chance to lift their game and find better results with each passing game. But no such luxury of time will be afforded in the ongoing tournament in Dubai.

With just a day's break to pick the pieces up from Saturday's annihilation at the hands of Pakistan, they now run into the No. 2 ODI team in the world with the hope of causing an upset. The hope is rather bleak, and a more realistic target is of enhancing their show - particularly with the bat - from the game against Sarfraz Ahmed & Co. There was a sixth-wicket partnership that was worth writing home about, but they'll need several of those in much bigger proportions to startle India. Rohit Sharma has afforded utmost respect to the Qualifier entrants in press conferences, and has maintained that all six teams were to be treated as equals, but the gulf in quality, ability and facility is far too big and blatant to ignore.

For India, this game might be key to identify the best options for the troubled No. 4 and No. 6 positions, while also figuring out who is best suited to slot into Virat Kohli's role at No. 3. Should they qualify to the Super Fours - which they are very likely to - going in with a bit of a settled middle order, their only grey area in ODIs at the moment, should be No. 1 on the priority list.

When: September 18, 2018, 3:30 PM Local Time

Where: Dubai International Stadium

What to expect: The weather continues to be prickly, hitting temperatures of 41 degrees Celsius. The pitches in Dubai have been slow and Rohit Sharma expects them to get even slower as the tournament progresses.

Team News:

India:

Jasprit Bumrah might get another day off after having joined the rest of the group only last night, along with the other players that were in England for the full tour. Rohit Sharma talked up left-arm pacer Khaleel Ahmed, who might just get a go. Hong Kong appeared to struggle against the extra pace and bounce from Usman Khan, and might be susceptible against Khaleel too.

Who will occupy the middle-order slots at No. 4 and 6 is still not clear, with several candidates vying for it. Kedar Jadhav is a prime candidate for No. 6, considering he's essayed that role before and that he could be the sixth bowling option for India. Interestingly, Ambati Rayudu rolled his arm over with some gentle off-spin too. If he's considered to bowl a few overs, then there could be room for Dinesh Karthik to slot in at 6. Karthik was one of the first few to get a thorough nets session on Monday.

Probable XI: Rohit Sharma, Shikhar Dhawan, KL Rahul, Ambati Rayudu/Manish Pandey, MS Dhoni, Dinesh Karthik/Kedar Jadhav, Hardik Pandya, Kuldeep Yadav, Yuzvendra Chahal, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Khaleel Ahmed

Hong Kong:

Having just played a day before, Hong Kong stayed indoors on the eve of their next big fixture. They were schooled by Pakistan, but changes may not be the way forward. After all, it is the same XI that brought them to the tournament proper in the first place.

Probable XI: Nizakat Khan, Anshuman Rath, Babar Hayat, Christopher Carter, Kinchit Shah, Ehsan Khan, Aizaz Khan, Scott McKenchie, Tanwir Afzal, Ehsan Nawaz, Nadeem Ahmed

Did you know:

- India have faced Hong Kong in one ODI before, in Asia Cup 2008.

- Shikhar Dhawan is one century short of equalling Yuvraj Singh's ODI tally of 14 hundreds

- If Kuldeep Yadav bags at least two wickets against Hong Kong - his 24th ODI - he will become the second fastest Indian to pick 50 ODI wickets behind Ajit Agarkar (23 matches), and the second fastest spinner in the world to the feat behind Ajanta Mendis (19 matches)

What they said:

"Getting starts is great but you've to kick on. That's certainly a lesson we'll look to rectify in the next game against India." - Hong Kong captain Anshuman Rath.

"I am quite excited about Khaleel [Ahmed]. Of course he's a great variation to squad. Also he generates quite a bit of pace. He's young, quite talented and can swing the ball as well at the same time. I am quite excited of his addition to the squad. Yes I am looking forward to [seeing] him play and do well for the country." - Rohit Sharma on the newest member of the India squad.

Teams:

Hong Kong (From): Nizakat Khan, Anshuman Rath(c), Babar Hayat, Christopher Carter, Kinchit Shah, Ehsan Khan, Aizaz Khan, Scott McKechnie(w), Tanwir Afzal, Ehsan Nawaz, Nadeem Ahmed, Cameron McAulsan, Arshad Mohammad, Raag Kapur, Tanveer Ahmed, Waqas Khan, Aftab Hussain

India (From): Rohit Sharma(c), Shikhar Dhawan, Lokesh Rahul, Manish Pandey, MS Dhoni(w), Dinesh Karthik, Hardik Pandya, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Kuldeep Yadav, Yuzvendra Chahal, K Khaleel Ahmed, Axar Patel, Shardul Thakur, Jasprit Bumrah, Ambati Rayudu, Kedar Jadhav

Kuldeep(his 24th to-night) only two wickets away to become second fastest after Ajanta Mendis's world record of 50 wickets in 19 matches

Agarkar took 50 wickets in 23 matches (ODI)

Good Luck Kuldeep.

Kuldeep(his 24th to-night) only two wickets away to become second fastest after Ajanta Mendis's world record of 50 wickets in 19 matches

Agarkar took 50 wickets in 23 matches (ODI)

Good Luck Kuldeep.

Kuldeep Yadav is a mystery spinner. Pride of this team India. He took 1st hattrick against Hongkong in U19 WC. It's time to repeat. He will.

Why 2 minute silence for me?
lol.[DOUBLEPOST=1537245989][/DOUBLEPOST]I think team mangaement should give some rest to Bumrah for one day. Bring Khaleel to give him some experience and playtime.

Sad to see Sri Lanka's fall in world cricket ... I hope they can regroup and come back hard for the good of Cricket !!

Also In a world cup of such few teams, we atleast want every team to be super competitve

Really interesting scheduling ..
Weird I would say. India are yet to play their opening match and SL are already out of the competition. Also, the back to back matches is a joke.

Kuldeep Yadav is a mystery spinner. Pride of this team India. He took 1st hattrick against Hongkong in U19 WC. It's time to repeat. He will.

Is that right?

Kumbis,
I am glad you are member of Cricket PLANET forum so I get more about Kuldeep.

Weird I would say. India are yet to play their opening match and SL are already out of the competition. Also, the back to back matches is a joke.
Organizer wants indian bowler tired vs pakistan game tuff for Indian keeper to stands for 100 overs without break in 7 hours 2 innnings

Users who are viewing this thread