Asif and Akhtar Positive for doping!

This is very depressing for me. I am absolutely crushed. First the Oval fiasco, then the captaincy BS involving Younis followed by Shahryar Khan resigning, and now the biggest blow of all. Everybody here must know how much I love Asif. If these two (hopefully just the two) are not punished and get away with a slap on the wrist, it would be an absolute disappointment. What kind of a message would the officials be sending to the kids out there who idolize these two? Anything less than a 6-month ban (what did Warne get?) for them would be a farce.

I'm sure that these two took steroids from the pressure they may have gotten from PCB about their fitness, but that is no excuse for doing such a stupid thing.

This is even worse for me since my best friend just failed a drug test last week and got terminated from work. What is wrong with this world?

We'll have to wait and see what happens.

I reckon that 2 years is to long as somepeople have said. Fair enough 1 year if they get tested and have comitted it but 2 years is way to much

if its 2 years it may be over for shoaib i hope not 2 years because that is way long and asif can he come back from this

always thought there was something fishy by the looks of their hair

_42202932_pakistansplit_203.jpg

;)

:D

i live in Canada so i see alot of this steroid stuff because of baseball and alot of these players get away with it, alot of them use it to get back from injuries quicker than naturaly posible and sometimes they are given a banned substance without their knowledge. and this can all be coming from this new chairman of PCB who was told by Musharaf to "clear pakistan cricket". but now its up to Rana, Gul, Razzaq and whoever else they can find but i look for Sri Lanka to win tomorows match.

s2sschan said:
Oh Please, it's like ball tampering, everybody does it but the axe falls on Pakistan.
Unfortunately for Pakistan, this time it was their own coach and board swinging the axe, by carrying out the tests.
Without steroids, it will take forever for fast bowlers to recover from injuries, and what is now a dying breed (fast bowlers), will become extinct.
Freaking Stupid ICC which exists on another planet, keeps making and enforcing these ridiculous rules.
Enforcing these stupid rules that stop the game from becoming a shamble? That is the stupid attitude we should all take, just make sure everyone is doing it and that makes it ok. Last time I checked Pakistan were the only ones who in trouble for ball tampering, if you can prove otherwise be my guest. If you can prove anyone else is using steroids I'll take off my pants and jump around like a monkey because big pakistan are on their high horse causing another ruckus because they did the right thing, even though its against the rules. At least this time the PCB know that its the wrong thing, who knows, maybe you fans will stop defending your players and remember that there are rules, if they're stupid for you then stop watching cricket and start watching lawn bowls, I don't think they drug test for that, but if they did I'm sure it wouldn't be legal anyway.

As for your other argument, if they were taking it for injury then why would the PCB test them for it and then send them home? There is no such thing as recreational drugs, there are only legal and illegal drugs, and this one is illegal, so if they have to be injured for a little bit longer, or even a lot longer, then that's life. You get injured, you sit on the sidelines. Happens to all teams, it's natural, and you can't use it as an excuse for taking a banned substance.

Note that this is not intended to insult anyone in particular, but this is an argument on cricket and sportsmanship, Shoaib and Asif did the wrong thing, and don't bag me for saying it.

andrew_nixon said:
That isn't a valid defence. The rules on drug testing are quite clear that the player is always responsible for what goes into their body. If a physio or doctor gives them something, it is the players responsibility to find out exactly what it is.

Exactly my thoughts. He/they may have not directly taken them, but they still hold a responsibility to say to their doctor...

"What's that got in it?"
"has it got anything in it illegal?"

Etc.

gambino said:
Just watching sky sports the former pakistan physio has said 2 of the causes are

BEER AND SEX!!

If they're Muslim surely the first is an irrelevant? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh and drugs like that don't get into the body through any way other than Injecting, ingesting, etc. Not through having sex or dirnking.

s2sschan said:
Oh Please, it's like ball tampering, everybody does it but the axe falls on Pakistan.
Unfortunately for Pakistan, this time it was their own coach and board swinging the axe, by carrying out the tests.
Without steroids, it will take forever for fast bowlers to recover from injuries, and what is now a dying breed (fast bowlers), will become extinct.
Freaking Stupid ICC which exists on another planet, keeps making and enforcing these ridiculous rules.

Drugs tests are common place in Cricket, particularly before tournaments, if everybody did it (Which clearly they don't) they'd be found out.

Pak_cricketer said:
Oh well, guess its bock to Gul, Rana, and maybe Shabbir if we ever see his face again. ;) Anyone, but Sami..Anyone..

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/iccct2006/content/story/263291.html

A good read this on what Shoaib Akthars point of view is.. Maybe he is right.. Maybe Shoaib is innocent.

Read Andrews first post or one of the parts of this post.

sid_19840 said:
.Additionally players will also learn to be more aware of what substances they are intaking(if they arent so already).
nah thats a cop-out, they know exactly what they are injecting and they shouldn't be :mad

Well the substance they have tested positive for is nandrolone, a lot of high profile athletes have tested positive for this in the past but have been cleared of any wrong doing. Linford Christie (100m sprinter) for example.

If their B test proves positive, they still deserve a ban, but it doesnt exactly mean they were injecting it.

If I were a sportsmen, I'd ask the Doc what he's putting in me. Does it take much effort?

For it to be not be a farce (The ICC don't tend to handle any thing to well) it needs to be a 1 year ban due to Warnes 1 year ban.

What was Warne tested Positive for, wasn't nandrolone, was it?

aus5892 said:
Enforcing these stupid rules that stop the game from becoming a shamble? That is the stupid attitude we should all take, just make sure everyone is doing it and that makes it ok. Last time I checked Pakistan were the only ones who in trouble for ball tampering, if you can prove otherwise be my guest. If you can prove anyone else is using steroids I'll take off my pants and jump around like a monkey because big pakistan are on their high horse causing another ruckus because they did the right thing, even though its against the rules. At least this time the PCB know that its the wrong thing, who knows, maybe you fans will stop defending your players and remember that there are rules, if they're stupid for you then stop watching cricket and start watching lawn bowls, I don't think they drug test for that, but if they did I'm sure it wouldn't be legal anyway.

As for your other argument, if they were taking it for injury then why would the PCB test them for it and then send them home? There is no such thing as recreational drugs, there are only legal and illegal drugs, and this one is illegal, so if they have to be injured for a little bit longer, or even a lot longer, then that's life. You get injured, you sit on the sidelines. Happens to all teams, it's natural, and you can't use it as an excuse for taking a banned substance.

Note that this is not intended to insult anyone in particular, but this is an argument on cricket and sportsmanship, Shoaib and Asif did the wrong thing, and don't bag me for saying it.

You are right. I was wrong. If we allow steroids for injuries Cricket will soon become a farce like bodybuilding has become. Full of steroid junkies who look like aliens.
The reason I said steroid use is widespread is because of an interview by former Indian coach Anshuman Gaekwad - "When I was coach, a few batsmen and all the fast bowlers would have it during (the drinks break) to pep them up. I didn't know the exact composition but it could have been amphetamines, stimulants or something else. A readymade powdered formulation, imported from Australia, was mixed with water for boosting energy. If I am right, the physio, Andrew Leipus, procured it and it was very expensive. Besides, steroids and cortisone injections are regularly used by Indian players."
The former Indian batsman and coach of course denied saying all this later when things got too hot.

It should be pointed out that not all steroids are prohibited substances. For example, the steroids found in asthma, hayfever and some pain medication would be fine.

And there certainly isn't anything wrong with cortisone injections. I think you're reading way too much into what Gaekwad said There is absolutely no implication of prohibited substance use there whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread