ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
In the Test, they'll go with something like Mawoyo, Vermeulen, Taylor, Hasakadza, Raza, Williams, Mutombodzi, Jongwe/Utseya, Sasakadza, Panyangara, Chatara. It's a decent seam attack, but they really lack a decent spinner. They'll probably pick Utseya as a stock option, but if they reckon Williams can do the job, it might open up a pressure-free slot for young Luke Jongwe. Also hope that Mad Mark plays and does well - he's earned it.

Mutombodzi and Jongwe shouldn't be considered just yet for Test matches. You're right regarding the lack of a decent spinner, Utseya is OK but he lacks that ability to get wickets and I actually think that Sean Williams will be much more of a threat especially as he is a left armer.

As for Vermeulen, I really do hope that he does get picked but i'm struggling to see a vacant spot for him.

Much as I'd love them to, I struggle to see Zimbabwe winning a game.

The only chance Zimbabwe have of winning is in the ODI's. They'll be lucky to survive 4 days in the test match in my opinion.

Zimbabwe have beaten Australia before in that famous T20 match when Brendan Taylor hit a match winning 60, history could repeat it's self.

greymatter776

Panel of Selectors
India
Mumbai Indians
Profile Flag
India
Good to see Zimbabwe getting some tests to play.Hope they would have something to cherish from the series like a ton from a player or some inspiring spells from bowlers,although a win would be something great,it doesn't look achievable.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Mutombodzi and Jongwe shouldn't be considered just yet for Test matches. You're right regarding the lack of a decent spinner, Utseya is OK but he lacks that ability to get wickets and I actually think that Sean Williams will be much more of a threat especially as he is a left armer.

I knew I'd messed something up - Mutumbami was who I meant to put in there - although I'd never be surprised if they went with Mutombodzi

Spickery

PlanetCricket Writing Team
Profile Flag
Australia
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Other than Watson and Haddin they could put Maxwell up there.

I wouldn't be against Maxwell opening because he is versatile when it comes to his position in the batting order. I believe Maxwell will stay in the middle order though so the team has someone capable of playing the finishing role no matter what the run rate required is. It is certainly good to have the option of Maxwell opening up our sleeve though.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I wouldn't be against Maxwell opening because he is versatile when it comes to his position in the batting order. I believe Maxwell will stay in the middle order though so the team has someone capable of playing the finishing role no matter what the run rate required is. It is certainly good to have the option of Maxwell opening up our sleeve though.

Yea that's most likely. However Faulkner is certainly capable of finishing and Cutting if he's in there. I've always liked having a destructive batsmen at the top ever since we had Gilly. We haven't really had that, Warner was meant to be it but he's become more sensible likewise Finch.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
Well it looks like Sikandar Raza is out of the Test match with a dislocated thumb, this should mean that Mark Vermeulen will make his comeback to international cricket.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
Zimbabwe win the toss and they'll be batting first, they should aim to bat for the whole day but we all know that it'll be tough against Steyn and co.

Nyumbu and Tiripano making their debut for Zimbabwe, Vermeulen is also back.

stefan

International Coach
Very slow pitch..Good knock by Taylor and some decent bowling from Piedt on debut.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Not a supporter of ZIM playing tests for well documented reasons, but in an alternative reality with no player exodus to other countries & Taibu talked out o international retirement, ZIM 1st test team could have looked fairly competent:

Masakadza, Vermuelen, Ballance, Taylor, S Ervine, De Grandhomme, Taibu, Cremer, Ireland, Jarvis, Utseya

Sibanda, C Ervine, Chigumbura, Raza

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
Not a supporter of ZIM playing tests for well documented reasons
Why?

Good knock from Taylor again, Masakadza also did well to see off the new ball. Apparently there were a few poor decisions from the umpire so Zimbabwe could have been in a much better position although the score they have now is half decent considering this is their first test match in about a year.

Can't wait to see how the Zimbabweans bowl tomorrow, Chatara up front with the new ball and then Nyumbu & Williams giving it an almighty tweak :p

Come on the Zimbos! :cheers

War

Chairman of Selectors

Because due to well known player exodus to other countries & the current crop looking very average, ZIM are not test standard. They have nothing since the players starting leaving in 2004 to show they deserve to get back their test status. Unfortunately they got it back for sentimental & ICC political reasons.

If anything Ireland deserved more to gain test status recently, than ZIM getting theirs back.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England

ParkedTheBus

International Coach
Profile Flag
Australia
The thing is, the ZCB do not have the financial capability to play regular test matches. And many of the players left due to mismanagement and lack of opportunities. It is very well known that the Ireland team is better skill-wise, management-wise and financially. For now, Zimbabwe should be relegated till they are in better position financially, with Ireland getting promoted.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
It is very well known that the Ireland team is better skill-wise
I disagree, I think Zimbabwe are better than them and have better batting/bowling reserves.

Users who are viewing this thread