Australia Team Discussion

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Looks like we're all wrong and it might be Adam Zampa who could be the Lyon replacement at both state and national level. :spy

Paranoid Kendroid

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
India
AUS..
RCB...
The Boys
So who is going to succeed David Warner after he hangs his boots?

Marcus Harris, Matt Renshaw or someone completely different? Will Pucovski would have been the obvious choice if not for his concussion issues

isFEISARfair

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
United States
So who is going to succeed David Warner after he hangs his boots?

Marcus Harris, Matt Renshaw or someone completely different? Will Pucovski would have been the obvious choice if not for his concussion issues
My money is on Marcus Harris right now however I wouldn't be surprised if someone else got the nod due to their form in the Shield.

DuneTiger

County Cricketer
Avengers
Profile Flag
Australia
I personally think Matt Renshaw is the best bet at this stage, don't have much faith in Marcus Harris, which hurts as a fellow Victorian.

Bevab

Staff Member
Mitch Marsh injured again? The guy seems to have a streak of injuries as compared to his playing career.

Not surprised at all. It’s why I thought those calling a premature demise of Green’s career were nuts.

It’s quite impressive that there are a lot of folk out there who also think Green is purely overhyped… some of which seem to be Aussie fans weirdly enough. Such lofty expectations may be why other than Gilchrist and Watson for a short while they never had a world class all-rounder in tests.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Truth be told, Watson didn't really establish himself to a large extent. Always more of a bits and pieces all rounder in the test arena.

Bevab

Staff Member
Truth be told, Watson didn't really establish himself to a large extent. Always more of a bits and pieces all rounder in the test arena.

At the end of that infamous Ashes loss at home he was averaging just over forty with the bat and slightly above thirty with the ball. He didn’t take a lot of wickets nor was he really economical but those are pretty respectable numbers given that he also started playing in the top order only a few years ago at that time.

Of course it all ended badly due to his weakness being ruthlessly exposed in the worst possible position and injuries taking their toll but for a batting all-rounder in that era those were pretty good numbers. Not everyone can be Kallis.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Just looking at Watto's record. His highest Ashes score was in the drawn 5th test of 2013 when England had already won 3-0.

Chris Woakes (batting at 6) and Simon Kerrigan (whose test career lasted 8 overs) made their debuts for England. Steve Smith scored his first 100.

Australia had four tour matches during that tour including one against an England Lions side featured Moeen Ali, Eoin Morgan, Ben Stokes, Joss Buttler, Gary Balance and Alex Lees.

Bevab

Staff Member
Just looking at Watto's record. His highest Ashes score was in the drawn 5th test of 2013 when England had already won 3-0.

Chris Woakes (batting at 6) and Simon Kerrigan (whose test career lasted 8 overs) made their debuts for England. Steve Smith scored his first 100.

Australia had four tour matches during that tour including one against an England Lions side featured Moeen Ali, Eoin Morgan, Ben Stokes, Joss Buttler, Gary Balance and Alex Lees.

Small world and all that.

DuneTiger

County Cricketer
Avengers
Profile Flag
Australia
Watson was probably wasted by batting so high up the order, could've been a great all-rounder if he stayed in the middle order. But it does show how important he was, considering we haven't really had one between him and Green. Marsh might've finally hit his straps but I think it's too late with Green being the next big thing. But personally I'd stick with Marsh for a while I think he is a better cricket at this current point in time.

Users who are viewing this thread