Australia Team Discussion

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Doesn't Agar have an abysmal First Class average? Like I know it's Bangladesh and average spinners can do well but I'm sure sure that Agar is international quality as a pure bowler.

I'd stick with Fawad Ahmed but that's because I'm a sicker for leg spin
Not great, I grant you - he averages just under 38 with the ball in Shield cricket (and just over 30 in the recently concluded season) compared with Fawad's 28 (and 25 last season). On those grounds, Fawad is the logical pick. If Lyon was unfit, then it would make sense to look at Fawad as more of a strike bowler.

But, as Agar is the second spinner, I think his batting and fielding give him an edge over Fawad, as does the fact that he's 15 years younger than Fawad, who is a 36-year-old pretending to be 33 in the hope it lengthens his cricket career.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I'd go with SOK if going for the second spinner, ideally I'd have a leggie but atm they are more performing in the shorter formats than the longer one. If Rogers goes we definitely need a like for like replacement, Bancroft has hit form at the right time so probably done enough to leapfrog similar guys like Silk, Khawaja and Silk. This season Shield will be the most interesting for batsmen in awhile and I hope we don't produce flat decks as we need to weed out the flat track bullies.

Shagger

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Don't get me wrong I love Ashton Agar and I hope he turns into a solid international player but what did Steve O'Keefe do to the selectors?!

The guy has been one of Australia's best performing spin bowlers for years now, can hold a bat and is fresh off 14 wickets in two FC matches against India A last month.

He's also at the ripe age of 30, which is a good age for a spin bowler in my opinion.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I'm sure I read somewhere that O'Keefe isn't particularly well liked by lots of the people in the current Australian set-up and that he's not a particularly nice person to tour with. Could just be hearsay though!

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
Micheal Clarke was a very good and handy batsman but does not fall into one of the Greats. Australians rebuilding stages seem like it will never end. Despite winning the World Cup, Aus still searching for the perfect combination they used to have in the hay days

Shagger

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I'm sure I read somewhere that O'Keefe isn't particularly well liked by lots of the people in the current Australian set-up and that he's not a particularly nice person to tour with. Could just be hearsay though!
i've swear I've heard this somewhere too.

Very happy Voges is amongst the runs again. Siddle being selected was an interesting choice.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Mainly heard it on forums one from a person that seems to have connections but don't think I've seen it in the media. He might be alright now that Smith is captain though.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I don't know if anyone else has seen this:

12246740_590926241048480_983163148633639396_n.jpg

It's either the best fake social media account of all time, or the best real social media account of all time.

Last edited:

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I don't know if anyone else has seen this:

12246740_590926241048480_983163148633639396_n.jpg

It's either the best fake social media account of all time, or the best real social media account of all time.

ahahaha i hope this is true

e: damn apparently it is a fake account :(

bigred

Club Captain
I have to say, I've really enjoyed the BBL this winter(in England). What is for sure, is that Australia have good depth for the national side, and the England players who have been booted out of the team are all still performing well. From what I've seen, this would be my Aussie squad.

1. Warner
2. Finch
3. Smith
4. Lynn
5. Maxwell
6. Faulkner
7. Handscomb
8. Hastings
9. Pattinson
10. Lyon
11. Bollinger

12. Hazlewood
13. Boyce
14. Paine
15. Marsh S

I assume Cummins, Coulter-Nile and Starc will all be injured.

A lot of good players not getting into that squad.

Bailey, Head, White, Khawaja, Dunk, Watson, Wade, Marsh M and Silk could all do a good job with that bat.

McKay, Behrendorff, Abbott, Hilfenhaus, Beer, Hogg, O'Keefe, Agar and Bird are all good bowlers.

Tough decisions for selectors to make.

Users who are viewing this thread