Australia Tour Of India 2012/13

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
yes, I am saying hughes, cowan and watson are terrible. ok, warner is alright for a chancer but he's nothing special. this line up will be slaughtered in england.

While all the signs currently certainly leads to a slaughtering of a similar level to the 2010/11 Ashes. But saying those aforementioned names is terrible is gross exaggeration.

This is same batting-lineup that scored 400 in a day vs the # 1 attack S Africa just a few months ago. And conceivably could have defeated them in that series.

I can accept if you say: Cowan is decent/average, while Watson, Hughes & Warner being around the good player range.

midgetwars

Club Captain
While all the signs currently certainly leads to a slaughtering of a similar level to the 2010/11 Ashes. But saying those aforementioned names is terrible is gross exaggeration.

This is same batting-lineup that scored 400 in a day vs the # 1 attack S Africa just a few months ago. And conceivably could have defeated them in that series.

I can accept if you say: Cowan is decent/average, while Watson, Hughes & Warner being around the good player range.

Is it fair if we all say that they are horrible against spin?

Prithvi

10 years at Planetcricket
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
I'd have definitely loved to see Sehwag play at #5 and Jaddu sit out. Kohli at 6 and Dhoni at 7 will be perfect. Just because Sehwag isn't performing at opening- it doesn't mean that he deserves to sit out. May be he is lagging in confidence what he had when he was in form- let him play when team has some runs on board, I'm sure the approach would be different. Going as per what he wished few months ago, I would definitely give him chance to play at #5 for the remaining tests.

When Dhoni could take a decision on himself arriving at #6 instead of the orthodox WK position #7, I feel Sehwag can be sent at #5/#4- on his personal request. When selectors feel India can open without Sehwag (with Vijay and Rahane or Vijay and Dhawan), they must be in a position to accommodate him at the place where he wants to play- or if not on permanent basis, just give him couple of tests.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I'd have definitely loved to see Sehwag play at #5 and Jaddu sit out. Kohli at 6 and Dhoni at 7 will be perfect. Just because Sehwag isn't performing at opening- it doesn't mean that he deserves to sit out. May be he is lagging in confidence what he had when he was in form- let him play when team has some runs on board, I'm sure the approach would be different. Going as per what he wished few months ago, I would definitely give him chance to play at #5 for the remaining tests.

When Dhoni could take a decision on himself arriving at #6 instead of the orthodox WK position #7, I feel Sehwag can be sent at #5/#4- on his personal request. When selectors feel India can open without Sehwag (with Vijay and Rahane or Vijay and Dhawan), they must be in a position to accommodate him at the place where he wants to play- or if not on permanent basis, just give him couple of tests.

By pushing Sehwag to the middle order, they would be doing major disservice to Rahane and also the other middle order contenders like Tiwary, Rayudu, etc. I am not sure if all of Sehwag's troubles can be put down to the opening slot. It does seem to be his reflexes and his hand-eye coordination. And he probably made a 'not so smart' move of starting to wear glasses in the last two tests vs Australia. It was like he was telling the world that there is something wrong with his eye sight/hand eye coordination and that's why he was wearing glasses to solve the problem. And when his form wasn't still resurrected, it pushed the selectors to take the bold step.

Having Sehwag out also helps others feel more secure that they are wanted for that middle order and for that opening spot.

P.s: I also feel thrilled when watching a Sehwag in full flow, and consider him a game changer when he is in flow. But he has disappointed me far too much for me to be rooting for his inclusion. If at all this is the end of Sehwag's career, I would feel sad for sure..

Last edited:

spooony

Club Captain
I love it when goes go out and smash 100's in a session a double in quick time only to be equaled by a bloke who scores a 100 of 400 balls and the game ends in a draw

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President

hmmm in that series both times australia went past 400 they required clarke and hussey to put on a double hundred partnership. so it's the same line up minus the guy who was at the crease when they scored most of the runs. kind of a factor.

in the mean time here is a quiz.

which player has the best test record...

a)phil hughes
b)ed cowan
c)shane "vertigo" watson
d)shahid flipping afridi

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
Watson by a mile. Pretty sure Afridi scored all his runs across India and Pakistan on 600+ decks. Hasn't done anything of note against Australia or England and his test career is over and done with :wave

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
Watson by a mile. Pretty sure Afridi scored all his runs across India and Pakistan on 600+ decks. Hasn't done anything of note against Australia or England and his test career is over and done with :wave

neither has watson. and all, well both, his tons come in india and pakistan too. so jolly good.

Last edited:

midgetwars

Club Captain
Aussies will continue to struggle without a stable number 3

Not necessarily true. We've trailed Hughes, Quiney, Marsh and Watson during the times Ponting went down to 4. They didn't do too well in those days.

Maybe if Clarke moves to 3 that would be good.

----------

When did they notice that? About 300 runs later or a 190 runs later?

They noticed it as soon as he batted. They were saying that he had lack of footwork but his hand eye coordination was perfect.

Sounds like Sehwag which is why I ask.

S

Satan666

Technically, Rahane might be a debutant but the guy has been on the India benches for too too long now plus he has also played enough ODI/T20 games now. And if we have an eye on the South Africa tour, we need to blood both those guys soon NOW.

Thats why Sachin must be dropped NOW, he is the chief reason Rahane hasnt debut as yet, he continues to fail with the bat and doesnt seem to be retiring soon, the selectors must stand up and drop this loser!

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
neither has watson. and all, well both, his tons come in india and pakistan too. so jolly good.

Watson averages 48 against England compared to Afridi's 25 odd and has never played in Pakistan, so wrong again. Watson's FC average is about as close as you're going to get for an average against Australia and that's 43 compared to Afridi's 18. Throw in the bowling numbers and it's not even close.

Other than that, Afridi's spent most of his career at #6 and below, while the three Aussies you listed are all openers :rolleyes

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
afridi would be probably opening if he was australian tbh, with ashwin at no.3, unfortunately for him pakistan have guns like er... imran farhat that naturally keep him out of the position.

Users who are viewing this thread