Who will win the 3 Test Series

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MWaugh

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
1st Test Preview

1st Test Preview

Former Australian captain Mark Taylor shares his views just before the start of the first standard bank test match between South Africa

The Weather

"Its a lovely day here in Johannesburg. Very much like the Africa you come to expect as a tourist. It is very hot and im sure that the fitness of both teams will be a deciding factor in the outcome of this match"

The Pitch

"Its rock hard and ready for action. There isnt a lot of moisture on this wicket due to the heat that we have had over the last few days and weeks. The ball may do a little due to the 11.00am start but i think if you get set then you can make the most of your time in the middle because this wicket will help the batsmen"

PAwanderers.jpg

(The Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg)

The Bowlers

"Both teams possess some great bowlers. I think McGrath and Warne have the ability to take the game away from South Africa in the space of a session and Ntini and Pollock can do the same with the new ball. Brett Lee has the potential to do a lot of damage on this hard track"

The Batsmen

"Coming off the woefull start against Border, Australia will look to improve 200% against a much tougher bowling attack. Langer plays his first game on tour and may well be cruical as this wicket is much like the WACA. Kallis and Smith will have to make runs for South Africa to be competitive but Gibbs can make huge scores when gets on top"

The Outcome

"Judging from the performance against Border, Australia have a mile of work to do to catch South Africa. The Proteas are very strong at home and Australia will have to really challange South Africa from the start and get on top early. If South Africa can dominate the Australian batsman then I would tip South Africa but you cant write the best team in the world off"

The Keys

"For Australia its McGrath and Ponting. McGrath has to take early wickets and maintain his world class bowling consistance while Ponting has to lead in the field and especially with the bat. He is one of the best batsman in the world at the moment.
South Africa will rely heavily on Jacques Kallis with both the bat and the ball. He will have to be at the top of his game against Warne, who has allready picked him for the series. Pollocks experience against Australia will also be invaluable"

0,1059,30267,00.gif

(Jacques Kallis will be crucial for the home side)

MWaugh

International Coach
News Report

Toss Of The Coin

Australian Captain Ricky Ponting has won the toss and has elected to have a bat on a wicket which promises plenty. Here are the captains thoughts on the toss and the match:

Graeme Smith (South Africa)
"I probably would have liked to have had a bat on this deck first up however it was not meant to be. I think our bowling attack is still potent enough to get through this lineup no matter what the pitch is like. We will have to start well but im sure that we can adapt to whatever the situation brings. Our batsmen will have to look at building partnerships when in the middle"

Ricky Ponting (Australia)
"Well that may have been a good toss to win but now we have to make the most of this chance. There doesnt seem to be alot of grass on this pitch so i think it should play pretty flat so hopefully we can make a good score then bowl well. I think Brett Lee will bowl very quickly on this deck. I would expect Warnie to come into his own in the 4th innings if this pitch breaks up a bit"

SmithGraeme041221PonderingGbg.jpg

(Graeme Smith ponders his bowling options after Ricky Pontings decision to bat)

MWaugh

International Coach
Langer Gets Australia Off To Solid Start

Australian opening batsman Justin Langer helped Australia to a solid position at lunch on day 1 of the first test against South Africa at the New Wanderers stadium, Johannesburg.

test1teams9ry.jpg

(Australian and South African Teams)

Langer, playing in his first match of Australias international campaign, showed great resilience and made the most of any poor balls to compile an unbeaten 49 to take his team to 1/79 at the lunch break. His contribution was helped with Ricky Ponting also making a positive start with an unbeaten 27.

austestscore3tr.jpg

(Scorecard at lunch on Day 1 of the test match - the spoils were shared)

The match did not begin to plan for Australia however, loosing Matthew Hayden for an 11th ball duck to leave the home side on top with the score at 1/5 off 3 overs. But Ponting and Langer were able to steady the ship and put their team into a strong position going into the long break, knowing that the likes of Martyn, Katich, Clarke and Gilchrist are still to bat on a wicket that is playing hard and true.

pollocksendshayden4mu.jpg

(Shaun Pollock sends Matthew Hayden after he was caught at second slip by Graeme Smith)

Shaun Pollock was the pick of the bowlers early as he toiled hard for figures of 1/29 from 11 overs, taking the wicket of Hayden and containing Langer and Ponting with the new ball.

Hour Breakdown - Day One
11.00 - 12.00 - 1/53 (1 wicket - 53 runs)

J. Langer 34* (35)
R. Ponting 17* (38)
M. Hayden 0 (11)
S. Pollock 1/21 (7.0)
M. Ntini 0/32 (6.0)

12.00 - 1.00 - 1/79 (0 Wickets - 26 runs)

J. Langer 49* (79)
R. Ponting 27* (78)
S. Pollock 1/29 (11.0)
N. Boje 0/11 (7.0)

brettLee

International Cricketer
great..so 1st test has started.
& really nice reports..as speacially hourly reports..

1st session goes to aussie..
but i guess aussies played bit slow..(coz pitch is batsman friendly)
lets see how they do in the post lunch session..!!
keep oy up mate..

MWaugh

International Coach
Langer Cracks Century As Australia Strengthens Position

A technically flawlass unbeaten century from left handed opener Justin Langer has lead Australia to a strong position at tea on the first days play against South Africa and the New Wanderers Cricket Ground at Johannesburg today.

austeascorecard8tp.jpg

(Scorecard at tea - Australia in a much stronger position to that at lunch)

The stylish left hander produced his 22nd test match century after two solid sessions of play that left Australia at 2/192 from 57 overs when the bails were removed for the second break of the day. Langer was 104 not out while West Australian team mate Damien Martyn produced a stylish 41 not out.

langercentury3ra.jpg

(Justin Langer, celebrating his 100, a score he made predominatly on the leg side due to some straight bowling from his opposition)

The only loss of wicket during the second session of play was that of the captain Ricky Ponting, who was bowled by Jacques Kallis for 33 with the score at 2/94. Kallis (1/54 from 14), along with Shaun Pollock (1/55 from 17), serving their captain well however more breakthroughs will be needed if South Africa are to get on top in this match.

Hour Breakdown
1.40 - 2.40 - 2/122 (1 Wicket - 43 runs)
J. Langer 69* (126)
R. Ponting 33 (92)
D. Martyn 8* (29)
S. Pollock 1/43 (14.0)
J. Kallis 1/13 (8.0)

2.40 - 3.40 - 2/192 (0 Wickets - 70 runs)
J. Langer 104* (173)
D. Martyn 41* (66)
S. Pollock 1/55 (17.0)
J. Kallis 1/54 (14.0)

MWaugh

International Coach
brettLee said:
great!!..post more snaps..

thanks for the responses brettlee. ill try and post as many as i can i just have a slight problem with the uploads and downloads. currently langerrox is helping me with the uploads but i cant actually upload them to imageshack myself due to limits and cost of net. but ill do what i can. thanks for posting. let me know what you think guys

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Did you write these comments of Cricketers on yourself. If so, that would have costs a lot of time to write it.

And also excellent pictures you have made! Don't understand how to make them.

MWaugh

International Coach
ZexyZahid said:
Did you write these comments of Cricketers on yourself. If so, that would have costs a lot of time to write it.

thanks mate. i dont quite understand what you mean about writing these comments of cricketers on myself?

langerrox

International Coach
go langer thats langer for yas!! i think he means to you write the interviews that you had with allan donald etc, of course you do:P

MWaugh

International Coach
yes unfortunatly allan donald himself couldnt type them but hopefully you all find them interesting non the less. i try to make them as accurate as possible. keep posting guys. updates are coming soon.

can i also say a big thank you to langerrox who has helped me with the majority of the upload images thats made this story possible. thanks mate!!!

MWaugh

International Coach
News Report

Pace Duo Launch Fightback

The pace pairing of Shaun Pollock and Andre Nel lead South Africa to a stirring fightback against Australia late on day 1 and in the early stages of day 2 of the test match at the New Wanderers stadium at Johannesburg.

endofinnings6br.jpg

The third and last session of play between the two cricket superpowers began with Australia sitting comfortably at 2/192 with opener Justin Langer starring with an unbeaten 104*. However the momentum changed after the tea interval, with langer eventaully holing out in the deep to Pollock on 139. Damien Martyn (62) followed suit shortly after thanks to a gem of a delivery from a fired up Pollock. Wickets of Katich (9) and Gilchrist (5), left the tourists in a much more even position of 6/299, Clarke unbeaten on 16 and Shane Warne on 5.

However the slump continued in the first hour of play on day two with Nel 4/29 (14.0) and Pollock 4/104 (30.0) doing the damage as the tourists were restricted to be all out for 325.

leeisout8qh.jpg

One of the highlights of the morning was the wicket of Brett Lee, who was caught off a brilliant take from Jacques Rudolph off the bowling of Pollock.

clarkeout8qf.jpg

(The wicket of Michael Clarke (LBW bowled Nel) was one of the more contentious points of the morning)

Hour Breakdown
4.00 - 5.00 4/264 - 2 Wickets - 72 Runs
J. Langer 139 (218)
D. Martyn 62 (109)
S. Pollock 3/93 (25.0)

5.00 - 6.00 - 6/299 - 2 Wickets - 35 Runs
J. Langer 139 (218)
M. Clarke 16* (32)
S. Pollock 3/101 (28.0)
A. Nel 2/28 (12.0)

11.00 - 12.00 - 10/325 - 4 Wickets - 26 Runs
J. Langer 139 (218)
M. Clarke 18 (35)
S. Pollock 4/104 (30.0)
A. Nel 4/29 (14.0)

MWaugh

International Coach
nah its not. i worked so hard for langers century (much to your likeing) only for everyone from katich down to let me down. i havent bowled alot in 2005 yet so im not sure how i will go defending a sub 350/400 score that i was definatly looking for. hopefully the footmarks will help warney

Briggsey

International Coach
Nice story mate, I love the little higlights pics they are awesome! Best of luck mate!

Users who are viewing this thread