Bangladesh in England

What will be outcome of the Test series?

• Bangladesh wins 1-0

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bangladesh wins 2-0

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dhoni

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
sohummisra said:
Read them, too! :p Bangladesh aren't looking for the win--they just want to delay England's winning. They are saying, basically, "Don't come and expect to beat us on Day 2--we can last till Day 3". They are not saying, "Watch out, England, we are going to win at least one of the tests." Whatmore is not stupid. He knows how England and Bangladesh match up.

Meanwhile, Javed Omar and Mohammad Ashraful have scored beautiful twin centuries (I can only assume they're beautiful) against British Universities. Omar with 167 and Ashraful with 102. BU are 54/2 in response. So at least Bangladesh are not losing to a university-level side.
Hey well said mate!!! I'm sorry about that. I think I misunderstood.

jonah

International Coach
Surprised there's no place for Pietersen.

jonah

International Coach
Fair point, but Bangladesh would give him the ideal opportunity to find that form. He may well come in for Thorpe though if his back problems don't get better.

themuel1

International Coach
Sussex have made a great start against Bangladesh- 549-7. Michael Yardy-257, Tim Ambrose-78

Wish I could go and watch! Damn Revision!! :mad

Rangeela

International Coach
England vs Bangladesh - 1st Test

1st Test starts on May 26th 2005 at Lord's.

Odds:

England - 1/41
Draw - 2/1
Bangladesh - 9/1

Betting will be open until 26th May at 09:00 GMT. Bets will be settled when the result of the match is known.

jonah

International Coach
stevie said:
Does anyone know which of the Bangladesh tests is on Channel 4?

I think it's the first Test stevie, with the second being on Sky and also being the first Test in this country to start on a Friday, so I heard Jack Bannister saying on Talk Sport today.

Stephen Bailey

Executive member
Profile Flag
England
jonah said:
I think it's the first Test stevie, with the second being on Sky and also being the first Test in this country to start on a Friday, so I heard Jack Bannister saying on Talk Sport today.

Cheers jonah. Looking forward to lazing infront of the TV again! :rolleyes:

rahulk666

International Cricketer
Does anyone have the stats about how England perform at the beginning of English season? India always seems to find it tough to beat any opposition after a long break from cricket. How does England perform in such situation?

There is no doubt that England will win the Test and series but will it be a whitewash? That's the big question.

Menawhile, Just wanted to say that it was quite pleasing to see Bangladesh play well against the British Universities. Good to know that Bangladesh is better than a University cricket team.

Stephen Bailey

Executive member
Profile Flag
England
These are the results from first series of the summer from the last 4 years:

2001 - Drew with Pakistan 1-1
2002 - Beat Sri Lanka 2-0
2003 - Beat Zimbabwe 2-0
2004 - Beat New Zealand 3-0

So we havn't started badly in the last few years and given Bangladesh's woeful performance against Sussex so far, I expect to be typing in '2005 - Beat Bangladesh 2-0'.

However, in the last 4 years we've only won the second series of the summer once.

2001 - Lost to Australia 4-1
2002 - Drew with India 1-1
2003 - Drew with South Africa 2-2
2004 - Beat West Indies 4-0

Last edited:

rahulk666

International Cricketer
stevie said:
These are the results from first series of the summer from the last 4 years:

2001 - Drew with Pakistan 1-1
2002 - Beat Sri Lanka 2-0
2003 - Beat Zimbabwe 2-0
2004 - Beat New Zealand 3-0

So we havn't started badly in the last few years and given Bangladesh's woeful performance against Sussex so far, I expect to be typing in '2005 - Beat Bangladesh 2-0'.

However, in the last 4 years we've only won the second series of the summer once.

2001 - Lost to Australia 4-1
2002 - Drew with India 1-1
2003 - Drew with South Africa 2-2
2004 - Beat West Indies 4-0
Hmm... interesting... That means that England play better in first half of the summer than later half. This can be due to following reasons:

1. Better quality opponents in later half than first half (over last 4 years).

2. England starting strongly but getting tired by later half of the season.

3. Or more importantly... England better at playing in conditions of early summer... swing asssting pitches, weather assisting. And not so bowler friendly pitches in later half of summer.

Thanks Stevie for the info.

jonah

International Coach
rahulk666 said:
Hmm... interesting... That means that England play better in first half of the summer than later half. This can be due to following reasons:

1. Better quality opponents in later half than first half (over last 4 years).

2. England starting strongly but getting tired by later half of the season.

3. Or more importantly... England better at playing in conditions of early summer... swing asssting pitches, weather assisting. And not so bowler friendly pitches in later half of summer.

Thanks Stevie for the info.
I reckon it has a lot to do with your first point rahulk. Look at the teams involved:
2001 - Pakistan then Aussies
2002 - Sri Lanka then India
2003 - Zim then SA
all stronger opposition in the latter part of the season, although I totally take your point about early season conditions in England, not so much maybe affecting England's performances as their opposition's, especially those from the sub-continent.

Users who are viewing this thread