Not open for further replies.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
andrew_nixon said:
I was talked into coming back, when I realised that not all staff members are narrow minded bigots

Of course - came back with a new relaxed posting style to boot :rolleyes:

T20

Panel of Selectors
andrew_nixon said:
I was talked into coming back, when I realised that not all staff members are narrow minded bigots.

just when I thought we finally have no arrogant hypocrites in the staff members..now we do.

cheaterr

Club Cricketer
Shailesh said:
just when I thought we finally have no arrogant hypocrites in the staff members..now we do.
Wow, you actually thought that? You amaze me. After what has happen between me and Andrew in the past I would've never thought that.

Ste

Executive member
I think that on this issue everyone needs to calm down. This forum is a cricket forum and although it has a general chat section, topics and views expressed should not interfere with partipation on the rest of the forum.

Also no matter what peoples views are on issues, I think that the arguments about such views should not be made personal. I think there should perhaps be some apologies after some of the remarks made on this topic, throughout life everyone has to deal and work alongside people whos views they dont agree with and put this to one side to co-operate on more important issues which benefit everyone.

Hopefully something can be sorted out here between people taking this personally and using it as an excuse to bring up other problems against people.

Ste

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
Ste said:
I think that on this issue everyone needs to calm down. This forum is a cricket forum and although it has a general chat section, topics and views expressed should not interfere with partipation on the rest of the forum.

Also no matter what peoples views are on issues, I think that the arguments about such views should not be made personal. I think there should perhaps be some apologies after some of the remarks made on this topic, throughout life everyone has to deal and work alongside people whos views they dont agree with and put this to one side to co-operate on more important issues which benefit everyone.

Hopefully something can be sorted out here between people taking this personally and using it as an excuse to bring up other problems against people.

Ste
Yes I agree. This whole thing needs to calm down. I think a small comparision started this entire thing and now it has fueled into something big.

I wont say its not an important topic, but it is unnecessarily causing friction between forum members. However I am upset that staff members are using "terms" which can well be termed abusive and disgraceful. Staff members are supposed to set examples for normal forum members.

Ritwik

co-founder
Ste is absolutely correct there. Topics like religion or politics arouse passion in people, which they should be able to curtail in order to be part of a meaningful discussion. The most important requirement for this is that one should not assume that they know everything, and hence shouldn't make irresponsible comments like "homosexuality was not seen in the past (!)". The purpose of any discussion is to augment your knowledge and learn to use it more fruitfully, that can be done only if one curtails their ego/pride/arrogance and are willing to live with others' opinions. We should respect the other's opinion, no matter how outlandish or ignorant it seems to us. Remember, people are mighty touchy being insulted by other's due to their beliefs, and this sometimes brings out the worst in them.

I think it is the time to say "sorry" from all parties involved and just get on with the primary function of this forum, which is discussion on cricket and cricket games.

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
ritwik said:
I think it is the time to say "sorry" from all parties involved and just get on with the primary function of this forum, which is discussion on cricket and cricket games.
Ritwik, its not about the topic of discussion, its about how the topic is discussed.
Everyone will have their own view, and thats absolutely natural. You might not agree with someone else's point of view on the matter, but you cant force him to adopt yours. Also if you have made your own conclusion on the subject, then whats the point of asking the opposite party whats "good" about it?

Ritwik

co-founder
I don't think you got my message from that post m_vaughan. I quote from my post:
The most important requirement for this is that one should not assume that they know everything, and hence shouldn't make irresponsible comments like "homosexuality was not seen in the past (!)". The purpose of any discussion is to augment your knowledge and learn to use it more fruitfully, that can be done only if one curtails their ego/pride/arrogance and are willing to live with others' opinions.

This seems to be what you are saying in your post, so I believe that both of us stand on the same ground on this issue.

I agree when you say that its not the issue but the manner of discussing it is what is important. But it seems that some of our members are not willing to talk openly and questioningly about issues like religion. I am not saying whether that's right or wrong, but just that if an issue is constantly a thorn on the side of good relationships among members, then perhaps we can drop discussing it ? I'd like everyone's opinions on this, as I am really not sure whether we are ethically correct in banning/curtailing any sort of discussion, but when it is weighed against the possibility of such instances recurring in the future, then it attains some theoretical justification.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I remember a thread about religion on NX where the discussion was of a very high standard and there was no flaming or disrespect shown towards arguements in the thread. However certain members still PM'ed me to say they found the topic and the views expressed offensive. There are certain topics that you have to be very careful when discussing. It is easier offline where you know your friends and who is likely to take offence but much harder in an online environment where we can only know a tiny amount about each other and anyone can join the arguement.

jonah

International Coach
For my two cents I say lets all embrace our feminine side like the South African cricket captain, eh The_Gas? ;)

Attachments

• graeme.jpg
    graeme.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 37

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
ritwik said:
I'd like everyone's opinions on this, as I am really not sure whether we are ethically correct in banning/curtailing any sort of discussion, but when it is weighed against the possibility of such instances recurring in the future, then it attains some theoretical justification.
I wouldnt suggest banning such sort of a discussion. The topic is debatable, but it is important that one doesnt use the topic as a tool to insult others. If you have an opinion on the subject then you are free to mention, but there is no point in questioning someone else's point of view. This, I am afraid, is exactly what has happened in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread