Big Ant Studios post first look at Cricket game

so that means your cricket game will have a career mode?

btw what are you going to name your cricket game?

so that means your cricket game will have a career mode?

btw what are you going to name your cricket game?

Our game has an extensive career mode.

I can't share the name with you unfortunately until we publicly announce the date at our launch function.

Thanks a ton for answering. Seems interesting. Really excited and hope both games do come out by next May :D

Please mr.bigant, is it playable on line? And if so, can we save an online game and continue it another day?

Please mr.bigant, is it playable on line? And if so, can we save an online game and continue it another day?

It is playable online across multiple machines.

We have not got an option to continue a saved online game - we did look at it but thought the audience for the feature too small - if it is a big feature for you guys then we can reconsider it.

BTW Happy for you to call me Ross.

Last edited:
We have not got an option to continue a saved online game - we did look at it but thought the audience for the feature too small - if it is a big feature for you guys then we can reconsider it.
Reasons for saving online is usually split into two parts - the issue of disconnecting/lost connections mid match, and the ability to play longer forms of the game online.

The first one is the most important, the cricket games released with online play so far have been usually very poor at being able to complete matches, even short ones - if the game can simply wait for a user to reconnect rather than cancelling immediately this might negate most of it.

The other part is more of a want, it'd be great to play tournaments and tests online, but that's not really possible in one sitting, which is where saving specifically would come in.

If the admin of big ant is reading can answer this please -
Will it have domestic teams?
In career mode will there be transfer players thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reasons for saving online is usually split into two parts - the issue of disconnecting/lost connections mid match, and the ability to play longer forms of the game online.

The first one is the most important, the cricket games released with online play so far have been usually very poor at being able to complete matches, even short ones - if the game can simply wait for a user to reconnect rather than cancelling immediately this might negate most of it.

The other part is more of a want, it'd be great to play tournaments and tests online, but that's not really possible in one sitting, which is where saving specifically would come in.

Never thought of the disconnect problem, always thought was a match length issue as in too long for one sitting - I can see why you'd want to wait for a reconnect.

We have coded an online tournament system for the game, I will ask on Monday if we could implement a reconnect as part of that.

The only issue I can see is the one if online "quitters" and how to handle someone that just isn't going to come back.

Took the words right out of my mouth! It's tests I want to play. That's why the ability to save a game is a must. (For me anyway)
Think about it. You could be having an excellent match with someone, then get an unexpected call and have to quit it. Save online option please! :)
Besides, if you have an online tournament mode. If we can't save it, I guess your asking us to do it all in one sitting? Impossible! :(

Last edited:
Not sure if everyone will be glad to hear that, but I certainly am.

None of our games have quick time events - it's outlawed!

----------

Took the words right out of my mouth! It's tests I want to play. That's why the ability to save a game is a must. (For me anyway)
Think about it. You could be having an excellent match with someone, then get an unexpected call and have to quit it. Save online option please! :)
Besides, if you have an online tournament mode. If we can't save it, I guess your asking us to do it all in one sitting? Impossible! :(

The online tournament can be done in multiple sittings and you can have multiple tournaments on the go - I think it is one of our strongest features - rather than synchronising times to get online and play and manually doing ladders/groups, the game does it for you.

We just hadn't factored in saving during a match - I will now look into it when I get to work on Monday.

Not sure if everyone will be glad to hear that, but I certainly am.
I am as well.

Really happy to hear about the career mode as well as online play. Online play should really have the save feature. Please! It doesn't serve the purpose otherwise.

The only issue I can see is the one if online "quitters" and how to handle someone that just isn't going to come back.

Maybe there must be a specific time period from the time the game was saved. After that, the game could be deleted? If I've got what you meant to post..

I'd suppose you'd just give the other player a no-fault option to leave the game if the opponent disconnects, perhaps with a timer involved so that within a certain period the person who was disconnected has a chance to pick it up even if the other person is impatient.

The broader question of deliberate quitting in online gameplay is a huge can of worms (the source of a huge amount of debate/rage over the years).

Users who are viewing this thread