Biggest upset of the decade?

faizan.hp

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
For writing comprehensive responses, not just once but twice, reps for Owzat :)

Another upset may be Bangladesh "beating" Pakistan comprehensively in the World Cup 1999. India needed Pakistan to win that game to make the going a bit easy for them & Pakistan lost the match by 62 runs. Tbh, I wasn't surprised :sarcasm

But it was a big win for Bangladesh who were just finding their feet in international cricket at that time :)

Why India needed Pakistan to win that game ??

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Kenya v Sri Lanka!

Australis beating Pakistan at the SCG, Jan 3 - Jan 7 2010.

:p

Robelinda

International Coach
Two tests which were of the 'upset' variety were the 4th test 2003 WI v Aus, and the 1st test 7/08 SA v WI, where the WI beat SA good and proper, huge win that one. And it has to be said, the Adelaide test in 2003 v India was a huge turnaround for India.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
I would rate the West Indies 1st test win in Jamaica vs England last year over any of those. Bowled England out for 51 and won the series with that test win.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
if Bangladesh had won the test v Pakistan 02-03, or the 1 v Aus 04-05, it woulda been big too. both test were close, and lost by 1 wicket.

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
For an Indian fan like me, the biggest upset was India's loss against Bangladesh in the 2007 WC due to which India got eliminated in the first round.:facepalm

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
Yes it was a big upset for everyone not just the Indians.

not really... :sarcasm surely it wasnt upset for Bangladesh. they enjoyed it. Paks were glad, took some attention of their back. Other teams were happy b/c they wont have to face India, the favorite to win the whole thing

DJ Ager

International Cricketer
Bangladesh beating Australia in 2005, along with Ireland beating Pakistan and Netherlands beating England, in my opinion.

Bangladesh had done little and had shown only the occassional shoots of growth post a disasterous 2003 WC, this against Australia one of the greatest sides of all time and still the best 50 over time, so there win was a seismic shock.

Ireland had shown signs of what they could do against Zimbabwe in the previous game and in tour/domestic matches previous, but even a Pakistan side which is unpredictable, it still goes down as big win. Equally, England are unpredictable and unsteady especially in limited overs, but they were expected to win comfortably but once the Dutch part-timers got a sniff of a chance they believed they could pull off a shock and beat England at the home of cricket in the opening game of T20WC09.

I'm not sure which shock is greater, but I love moments like this, it's why it annoys me why the number of teams in the 2011 WC is being reduced to 14. Mind you, the real reason I feel is because of what happened to India/Pakistan 2007. The India shock though isn't as great as the others because Bangladesh had improved and shown they couldn't be taken as lightly as before, but arrogance and underperformance of India team along with a great Tigers performance caused the win. India were one of the favourites but Australia would always beat them and anyone in these major tournaments.

Zimbabwe's win over Australia in T20WC08 and Bangladesh's near win over Australia in a test in 2005-6 is worth a mention along with Kenya's win over Sri Lanka in WC2003 and their semi-final run.

Looking back at these upsets, it shows that the game has widened up actually a lot in this decade.

DJ Ager

International Cricketer
not really... :sarcasm surely it wasnt upset for Bangladesh. they enjoyed it. Paks were glad, took some attention of their back. Other teams were happy b/c they wont have to face India, the favorite to win the whole thing

To be honest I half expected it really, thought they had a good chance against India, I think Australia should always be favourites even if they show bad form previous, because in 50 over cricket, even with the decline of the team as a whole with great retiring, in major ODI tournaments (50 overs) they always succeed.

DJ Ager added 2 Minutes and 28 Seconds later...

What about when West Indies beat England in the final of the Champions Trophy. The tail put on about hundred didn't they?

In the context of the match it was a big shock yes, along with West Indies chasing down 400 odd against Australia in a test match, biggest successful chase

Users who are viewing this thread