Bowling Guide!

zombieian

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Still struggling with bowling. Cannot figure out the correlation between my button presses/pushes and the result yet. Hoping someone (who's figured it all out) makes an extremely easy tutorial for people like me to understand.

You probably have already figured it out, but because there is never much spin, swing or seam movement in career mode it's difficult to see that your inputs are having any effect. I'm assuming that as your career progresses, and you gain more XP, you will be able to see more movement of the ball, but in my opinion I don't think that's correct or accurate. Even at 16 years of age my career player is already playing for a first class side so I assume that he already knows how to swing and seam the ball.
I'm at an early stage of my career as a fast bowling all rounder and most of my wickets are due to poor shot selection by the AI than clever bowling by me. At this stage of my career bowling is a little tedious. You would think, playing in English conditions that there would be lots of swing and seam movement, but there just isn't.
I think that ball movement is more evident when you play casual games.

Last edited:

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Prefer bowling in cricket games but until patch is out concentrating on batting atm

I get too many wickets caught at mid on/off and long on/off to find it rewarding

BA are promising to smarter up AI batting, I have no reason not to believe them so will start new bowling career once patch is out :thumbs

ChinamanSpin

International Coach
Prefer bowling in cricket games but until patch is out concentrating on batting atm

I get too many wickets caught at mid on/off and long on/off to find it rewarding

BA are promising to smarter up AI batting, I have no reason not to believe them so will start new bowling career once patch is out :thumbs

I'm with this. I like the bowling but taking too many undeserved wickets just ruined it for me. I hope it's as difficult as the batting at the start of a career after the patch.

zombieian

International Coach
Bowling would be much more rewarding and fun if you were able to replicate what the opposition bowls at you. Yesterday Tremlett bowled a 92 mph delivery at me that whizzed past my nose with the keeper taking it over head height.
If I bowl the same speed and length of delivery it bounces before it reaches the keeper. From my chosen close camera view I actually ducked in my chair. :eek:
It's only on the casual mode that I get the sort of movement and bounce that makes bowling worthwhile.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
The ras stick is really open to abuse online,i have noticed that opponents bowl a really slow medium pacer,then they hardly push on the right stick so the ball comes through at like 10 mile per hour,add any lag thats present and its nearly impossible to time the ball as a batsman.:mad

I know what you mean. The change in speeds for pacers & medium are way too much. Fast bowlers bowl one delivery in 140s and the very next slower delivery comes in at barely 100 kph! With medium bowlers the speed drops from 115 to 80 kph across deliveries which is sort of unrealistic.

@BigAntStudios (Big Ant) should have a range of speeds defined for different bowlers and the speed should remain within that range, say for a pacer between 125 to 145 kph and for a medium between 100 to 120 kph. For pacers the change in pace in real life is within 20kph range and their pace never goes down from 140s to 100kph. Also, in case folks don't use right stick, I would have the speed for such deliveries as "middle of the road" average deliveries and for a pacer would have their speed at 130 kph and for a medium at 115 kph. The deliveries without input (RS) should be mediocre and not super slow, which are difficult to time.

Don't think you will need to start over the career. Ross mentioned the changes in patch 2 will affect the ongoing career.

Last edited:

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Know what you mean but want to start again and earn my wickets as opposed to current ridiculously low bowling average

Agree about bowlers having upper and lower bowling speed thresholds

RIZZYX

International Coach
With the spinners, all my deliveries are flighted up for some reason, I must be doing something wrong but I cannot figure it out.

This is what I do:

Before bowling I move the LAS a certain direction, e.g left, right, up etc.. then I select the length of the delivery e.g x, o or triangle keys, and then finally I push the RAS towards the line of the delivery I am after so if I want to bowl straight I will push it straight up.

So how do I vary the speed and how do I dart them in or ball a bit shorter?

Any help would be great on this.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
With the spinners, all my deliveries are flighted up for some reason, I must be doing something wrong but I cannot figure it out.

This is what I do:

Before bowling I move the LAS a certain direction, e.g left, right, up etc.. then I select the length of the delivery e.g x, o or triangle keys, and then finally I push the RAS towards the line of the delivery I am after so if I want to bowl straight I will push it straight up.

So how do I vary the speed and how do I dart them in or ball a bit shorter?

Any help would be great on this.

Pushing RAS determines the length at which the ball will pitch in the selected Length area...i.e pushed RAS early will make it pitch on the fuller part of the selected length [if short is selected then the ball will pitch at the fuller length in the short pitch area]

And the flighted thing happens mostly when your fatigue level is high....The pace variation now can be done only through ball variation...

RIZZYX

International Coach
Pushing RAS determines the length at which the ball will pitch in the selected Length area...i.e pushed RAS early will make it pitch on the fuller part of the selected length [if short is selected then the ball will pitch at the fuller length in the short pitch area]

And the flighted thing happens mostly when your fatigue level is high....The pace variation now can be done only through ball variation...

Hmm..come to think of it, I think I do push the RAS up very late, I usually push it up when the bowler is about the release the ball, that would explain why the vast majority of my deliveries with spinners are very full.

Will have to play around with the release a bit more when I play next.

Want to get it sorted, poor Saeed Ajmal doesnt make it in to my playing XI at the moment and must be wondering where it all went wrong lol

Last edited:

pickledyoda

Club Cricketer
Hmm..come to think of it, I think I do push the RAS up very late, I usually push it up when the bowler is about the release the ball, that would explain why the vast majority of my deliveries with spinners are very full.

Will have to play around with the release a bit more when I play next.

Want to get it sorted, poor Saeed Ajmal doesnt make it in to my playing XI at the moment and must be wondering where it all went wrong lol

Pushing it late should make the ball shorter. If you have the bowling assist on, it will say 'full' if you're before the green patch and 'short' if you're very late.

I've found the same thing as you - my career wrist spinner is always very flighty, so much so that the 'flight' option is very very loopy, and the 'slow flight' option is a pie that almost goes into orbit (and is mostly off the screen in the end of over pitch map replay). It's annoying because on most pitches the good length balls bounce over the stumps.

I'm hoping that as my skills progress the default trajectory of the balls will become less loopy.

Can anyone a few seasons into their career confirm or deny that?

christy_lenin

Club Captain
I know what you mean. The change in speeds for pacers & medium are way too much. Fast bowlers bowl one delivery in 140s and the very next slower delivery comes in at barely 100 kph! With medium bowlers the speed drops from 115 to 80 kph across deliveries which is sort of unrealistic.

@BigAntStudios (Big Ant) should have a range of speeds defined for different bowlers and the speed should remain within that range, say for a pacer between 125 to 145 kph and for a medium between 100 to 120 kph. For pacers the change in pace in real life is within 20kph range and their pace never goes down from 140s to 100kph. Also, in case folks don't use right stick, I would have the speed for such deliveries as "middle of the road" average deliveries and for a pacer would have their speed at 130 kph and for a medium at 115 kph. The deliveries without input (RS) should be mediocre and not super slow, which are difficult to time.

I think it would be appropriate if we didn't release the ball on time (RAS up) it should go as a dead ball.

billionaiire

Club Captain
Tried searching for answer for this question but could not find it in this thread. Please redirect me if anyone knows and I'll delete this post.

How do I make the ball actually spin (and not swing)? I am seeing almost no spin, ever. Can anyone please explain with a touch of color? :)

jaraarrow

International Coach
Rigt handed finger spinner

Ok folks im trying to master finger spin.
The question i have is do you rotate the left stick clockwise if your a right handed finger spinner,i dont know if i'm the only one but im finding it very hard to generate any spin.

Offie

School Cricketer
Ok folks im trying to master finger spin.
The question i have is do you rotate the left stick clockwise if your a right handed finger spinner,i dont know if i'm the only one but im finding it very hard to generate any spin.

Yes you do. The spin doesn't actually show up very well on the pitch though.

jaraarrow

International Coach
Bowling

Whenever i think i have mastered the spinners someone hammers them all around the park?
I am rotating the left stick the correct way and releasing both sticks at the same time but i still cant seem to spin the ball much.:facepalm

Users who are viewing this thread