Bowling tips

Pat

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Maybe @MattW can help us all and let us know how the seam position affects the ball movement.

christy_lenin1

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
This is very true. Its a foundation to work on further. I think it came too soon to release to be fully effective and they were very hesitant to tweak and add features as they were having detrimental effects on gameplay elements.

May be in ashes 19 or in next iteration
Wouldn't be great if the swing/movement of the ball is determined completely based on the bowling action, angle and the seam position.

Instead of separate swing buttons they can make use of LS in 360 deg to position the ball by visually seeing it (without pressing l2&r2) before the run up.

D

Dutch

May be in ashes 19 or in next iteration
Wouldn't be great if the swing/movement of the ball is determined completely based on the bowling action, angle and the seam position.

Instead of separate swing buttons they can make use of LS in 360 deg to position the ball by visually seeing it (without pressing l2&r2) before the run up.
I am very confident we can see progress on this sooner than later.....ideally in the most difficult categorie I would like to see bowling just about finding the right seam
angle rather than pressing a button....

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
This is very true. Its a foundation to work on further. I think it came too soon to release to be fully effective and they were very hesitant to tweak and add features as they were having detrimental effects on gameplay elements.
But for me its already working like a charm for variation off the pitch..I get swing after pitching the ball with this and also have got a few wickets using this..So if its likely to get more attention then just couldnt get better than this..:D[DOUBLEPOST=1513775887][/DOUBLEPOST]
I am very confident we can see progress on this sooner than later.....ideally in the most difficult categorie I would like to see bowling just about finding the right seam
angle rather than pressing a button....
And would love a seam position on offer for spin to which would just create great depth to spin bowling with controlled angle spin..One for the next iteration...

bl8000

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
The thing that is fascinating here is how have BA truly implemented this? Like to what degree?

Yes we can choose how to seam the ball so step one is complete.

Step 2 would be does seam position actually create the drag effect that would cause the ball to swing in the air?

Step 3 would be does the game truly register how the ball/seam reacts with the turf? Shiny impact should skid, rough impact should grab slightly more and seam impact should possibly cause erratic bounces.

This would be so much easier to investigate if we had replay in the practice area.

I so so so so so want to be able to bowl to a batter in practice and have replay.

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
Can someone explain something to me, how do you actually change seam angle? I'm playing with the shipped controls but I changed to the "old" controls and I randomly get asked to change my seam angle, is it only for swinging deliveries ? Also how is this the old scheme it's totally different to DBC14

Jerm

International Coach
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
Can someone explain something to me, how do you actually change seam angle? I'm playing with the shipped controls but I changed to the "old" controls and I randomly get asked to change my seam angle, is it only for swinging deliveries ? Also how is this the old scheme it's totally different to DBC14
Yes the "old controls" are like DBC17 not 14

if youw ant to change seam you hold right stick (the one you use to choose delivery type) on th edelivery type you want, then the screen will change and u will see a small line appear on the circle, move that to pick your seam position

bl8000

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Start a regular 2 player game and just bowl?

Nice that would work. Not exactly what I want but it would let me see bowling deliveries over and over.

I want to be able to take any bowler against any batter and vice versa, into any stadium and just have a 1 v 1 session, or it can even be like the tutorials with fielders but the goal is to be able to practice whichever discipline at whatever player skill you wish.

It would be an awesome tool for testing since the main focus of the sport is that 1v1 duel and they could work on perfecting input and expanding shot varieties and refining spin/physics

Redfive

School Cricketer
I understand the answer may well be 'practice and get more accurate' but interested in any tips or thoughts...

When bowling i think one of the reasons I get so few bowleds (and am yet to get a single lbw in c.500 overs) is that my deliveries are rarely hitting the stumps - for reasons of line not length.

I can bowl a comfortable 4th stump line but as soon as I go a bit straighter I seem to bowl down the leg side. If I'm trying to bowl with swing (in or out) I find it nigh on impossible to bowl at the stumps.

Is it just a tiny sweet spot? Maybe i simply need to reduce bowling difficulty. But if I'm missing something simple I'd love to know!

Dougie1

Club Cricketer
.............basically u should bowl to ur bowlers strengths and to the batsman's weaknesses

e.g. if the batsman is weak on special shots and ur bowler has a high rating for seam - a few varied length cross seamers should quite quickly see the batsman off!

or if the batsman is weak on drives and ur bowler has a high rating for swing - a few varied length out-swingers should again see him edging quite quickly

W.G. Grace

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
Has anyone got any decent tips on playing well as a spinner, please?

I can pick up a ton of maidens (before getting hit for four or six out of seemingly nowhere) but really struggle to get any wickets using spin, and the meagre few wickets are solely caught or lbw. I'm able to hit the 'ideal' sweet spot after, on average, 3-4 rotations of the left stick but even when I manage to get the ball to stun and beat the batsman, it always manages to marginally miss the stumps: I am yet to take a single wicket via hitting the stumps from a spin delivery (with the exception of an online match against very weak opposition who positioned his batsman in a stupid position!).

Any tips from players of Ashes Cricket's answer to Warney & Murali are very much appreciated!

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
So basically I tested this seam angle stuff and I bowl outswingers 99% of the time with the angle at the top of the top arrow or sometimes halfway up. I get all my wickets like this feels lovely the ball swings different to if you put it down.

Also I tested with cutters and before cutters would bounce so high now I changed seam and they skid off and bounce lower.

Rohanb1

School Cricketer
Has anyone got any decent tips on playing well as a spinner, please?

I can pick up a ton of maidens (before getting hit for four or six out of seemingly nowhere) but really struggle to get any wickets using spin, and the meagre few wickets are solely caught or lbw. I'm able to hit the 'ideal' sweet spot after, on average, 3-4 rotations of the left stick but even when I manage to get the ball to stun and beat the batsman, it always manages to marginally miss the stumps: I am yet to take a single wicket via hitting the stumps from a spin delivery (with the exception of an online match against very weak opposition who positioned his batsman in a stupid position!).

Any tips from players of Ashes Cricket's answer to Warney & Murali are very much appreciated!

Now a few seasons into my leg spinners (right arm) career I found varying the length (especially using the subtle variations) really improved my wicket taking.
Early on I would try to bowl 5 near identical leg spinners (then a wrong-up/top-spinner/slider) and always get carted on the 3rd.
Now I just nibble about a good area rather than target it pin-point. Almost first thing I check is Big Eye and see how a good pitched delivery is carrying through - stump height or over the stumps? Keep all forms of dismissal in play. From there I bowl roughly 4 stock balls per over around the same line, with changes to length, flight and bounce, usually as balls 1,2 or 4,5 then go to other deliveries on 3 and 6, rarely the same pattern. Effort balls I try to save for balls 5/6, as the AI seems to want to slog on these balls. I figure if I am focusing to bowl my best deliveries here on shots where the error is higher I should take more wickets.
If you aren't making a breakthrough on a set batsman, vary your approach to create a different angle - early on I took a lot of wickets of batsmen in their 90's using this approach.
Obviously setting fields that support this approach is crucial, every time the strike is rotated its back to ball 1.

Nathaus

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
I understand the answer may well be 'practice and get more accurate' but interested in any tips or thoughts...

When bowling i think one of the reasons I get so few bowleds (and am yet to get a single lbw in c.500 overs) is that my deliveries are rarely hitting the stumps - for reasons of line not length.

I can bowl a comfortable 4th stump line but as soon as I go a bit straighter I seem to bowl down the leg side. If I'm trying to bowl with swing (in or out) I find it nigh on impossible to bowl at the stumps.

Is it just a tiny sweet spot? Maybe i simply need to reduce bowling difficulty. But if I'm missing something simple I'd love to know!
Try changing the angle to be more 'stump to stump' by that, i mean move the bowler slightly closer to the stumps for the run up. This will mean a 'straight' delivery at 12 o'clock, will be on the stumps. If you use the default starting position, quite often a straight 12 o'clock delivery will slide down leg side and it's something more like 11.30 required to get the ball on the stumps which is much more difficult to achieve.

Bowling difficulty i believe will impact this as well :)

Users who are viewing this thread