Bowling tips

anand.vivek

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hello Friends,

I recently bought this game for XBox. I have many questions in bowling as I am new to this.. my last played cricket game was in EA sports cricket 07. All my below questions are related to bowling.:bwl: Batting I have no issues.

1. I am using Standard controls for bowling. Whether classic control is the better way to bowl for taking wickets ? I bowled nearly 50 overs without wicket in a test match, I mix-match types of deliveries in an over i.e, leg cutter, off-cutter etc, I got 3 wickets initially, but the 4th wicket put up 200 runs partnership and I bowled almost 50 overs without wicket.. I am playing PRO difficulty, with Medium difficulty in bowling. I also want to mention that I am not being smashed by the AI, they are scoring at a rate of 3 per over, most of them in wides, but its frustrating to bowl without wickets.

2. How can I change the length of bowling at the last moment using Standard Controls ? for example, changing from Bouncer to Yorker just before releasing the ball. I am able to do that in Classic controls but most of my balls end in wide. Most of my yorkers end up just being in the leg side and the umpire gives wide which is strange in a test match. This raises my third question.

3. Is there any way to control exactly (exact place) where to pitch the ball? I mean, before run up, is there any marker to show where the ball will be pitched ? As of now, I don't know whether the ball will be wide or not unless the delivery is bowled. My yorkers end up being outside offstump or outside legstump..:facepalm

4. The control says LB/RB can alter the length, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Without any visible bowling marker, how do I know if its altering the length..?

I don't want to simulate as it spoils the fun.. :D. please helpp...

tarrantino

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
What sort of plans do people go in with bowling? I’ve gone three innings now against Australia and struggled. I’ve mixed up the deliveries. I had some success bowling out swing for a few and the an off cutter for an LBW shout.
I had to resort to 6 on the boundary to stop the runs.
I managed to get Aussies 85-3 but then ended up at 550-7D.
Any plan ideas would be good.

Part-Time Jaffa

School Cricketer
My tips would be to remove all HUD and time your bowling on feel. Set the release windows to an easier range to begin with and find your sweet spots for varied releases at the crease. The best timed balls won't always bring wickets & bowling a quicker ball further back in the crease may be more potent then bowling a perfectly timed slower ball. You will get a lot more LBW's this way.
I like to play on green and uneven/worn wickets that will bring in cutters & edges (I have slightly reduced ball & pitch friction along with revolutions) and have swing at 75.

Control Freaks are always a real handy option as well to find some tighter angles, also with batting.

Outside of bowling, tinker with all the individual player stats. Change your bowlers mentalities and increase their bowling stats, stock ball and accuracy in particular. I like to throw in the occasional bunny in teams too, dramatically lowering a batsmans stats & changing him to lower-order! Anything to keep the game moving forward. The majority of my bowlers in-game are 88+ rated, with the batsman all 78 and lower. Top Batsman I'll put in the 80's. This lowers averages if you also set your bowler quality influence to 90 or higher.

Dean johnes

Club Captain
Has anyone got any fast bowling tips, I can bowl quite nicely with everything perfect but I don't seem to be able to reliably take wickets. I was wondering how much the skills play into being able to take wickets I have prioritised accuracy and pace with a some swing. I use swing when the ball is new and then I go to my straight stock delivery with the occassional fast shock bouncer. Anyone know the skills to prioritise as a fast bowler and any good tactics?
U talking about online or offline both games are different with different tips which one u want.
Ashes 17 2 different types of gameplay are there online and offline.
Kindly specify which part of ashes gameplay tip u want.

tarrantino

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
U talking about online or offline both games are different with different tips which one u want.
Ashes 17 2 different types of gameplay are there online and offline.
Kindly specify which part of ashes gameplay tip u want.

I’m talking offline. Im in a men ashes series. I started on amateur and got Australia all out for 309 in the first test, and thought it was a tad too easy. So I upped to pro and they hit 445-7 in the final innings to win the first test. Second test they got 725 and it took me 2 1/2 days to get there. Finally they hit 550-7D and I’m chasing that.

All my LBW shouts are too high I’ve noticed even with a full ball.

I’m just looking at general plans that people go in when. I know different batsman will have different plans but just some general guidance I can build on. :)

Dean johnes

Club Captain
I’m talking offline. Im in a men ashes series. I started on amateur and got Australia all out for 309 in the first test, and thought it was a tad too easy. So I upped to pro and they hit 445-7 in the final innings to win the first test. Second test they got 725 and it took me 2 1/2 days to get there. Finally they hit 550-7D and I’m chasing that.

I’m just looking at general plans that people go in when. I know different batsman will have different plans but just some general guidance I can build on. :)
Just bowl good inswing outswing yorkers
Ai noob in that

Jerm

International Coach
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa

bowl full ball with R1 modifier -- bowls it even fuller, or L1 modifier on yorker (bowls it shorter) that should hit the wickets

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
What sort of plans do people go in with bowling? I’ve gone three innings now against Australia and struggled. I’ve mixed up the deliveries. I had some success bowling out swing for a few and the an off cutter for an LBW shout.
I had to resort to 6 on the boundary to stop the runs.
I managed to get Aussies 85-3 but then ended up at 550-7D.
Any plan ideas would be good.

I wouldn't say I'm an expert by any means, but what I tend to do works for me. Sometimes you just have to accept that bat is going to have the advantage over ball though. On the same settings with the same teams, I've skittled the AI for 155, and I've gone for 550+. It happens so don't get too caught up with either, just do your best.

What I would say from my experience is:

1) Be consistent

2) Set a field to how you're trying to bowl

3) Don't be afraid to be unorthodox

4) Bring the stumps into play where you can

5) Accept the AI's flaws, and potentially exploit them

6) Factor the pitch and ball into your thinking.

Be Consistent

I started bowling and would try and throw the AI a real mixed bag down in the hope the variation would throw them off. Stock ball, out swinger, out swinger, cutter, bouncer, slower ball etc, see what happens. I got much greater success personally from using my seamerss to try and hit 5th or 6th stump 5 balls out of 6 and then using that 1 other ball to do something different. Same with the spinner. Doesn't have to be 5 balls, then different on the 6th to end the over, mix that one different ball up within the over. Don't be afraid to mix up your speeds with the stock balls either, that can get you an edge through poor timing, but consistently asking a question of the CPU to score runs. Set your bowler up where you're happy (I always go closest to the umpire without going round the wicket) and then just plug away knowing consistently where you need to put the ball in terms of length and line. The pitch may well give you some seam movement anyway even if you're selecting stock ball, but check hawkeye at the end of each other to see what's happening. By bowling that line, I know pretty much the kind of shots the AI is going to play the majority of the time, where they're going to try and hit the ball, I'll have the fielders in place to stop those shots for the most part, and guys in place to catch any mistakes that find the edge or a false shot.

Set a field to how you're trying to bowl and have a plan

Quite an obvious one, but maybe helpful if you're giving up a lot of runs. If I'm bowling to that 5th/6th wicket line outside off stump, I know the field I need and it may involve having just 2 or 3 guys on leg. That's fine. I don't want to be going any further across that off stump or that's not what my field is there to help me with and I'll give up a lot of runs. Following on from the point above, if I'm on the 5th/6th stump line and it's early in a game, I'll be bowling relatively full, vary my speed, I'll have 3 slips and a gully, a point, a guy around the covers, mid off, then maybe a midwicket and a square leg for a 7/2 field. I might vary on that slightly and strengthen the covers at the expense of a close catcher if I don't have as many runs to play with, but I'm bowling to encourage the drive, with a field that should be able to limit that shot unless the batsman finds a gap or plays a more unorthodox shot, like hitting me to leg from outside off stump.If the ball is swinging a lot, I might want to take someone out of the offside and strengthen the leg so I can bowl inswingers, but I wouldn't bowl like that with just 2 guys on leg unless I had a lot of runs to play with.

Another good example, David Warner loves to hook. I get him out like that a lot, he can't help himself. Get a midwicket, a square leg, a square or fine leg, and a third man/deep point (the AI loves to do a weird high cut shot to short balls) then just start banging half trackers at him. You'll be able to do that for a few balls, either as bouncers or as short cutters and see what he does, but you have the fielders there to protect the shots that are likely to follow. If you're going to then start bowling it full and outside off stump, you're going to bleed runs pretty fast. Make sure your field works to the plan you're trying to execute, and it may be the batsman's weak shot plays into the plan (L3 on the PS4, not sure about the xbox). If a batsman's weakness is the cut shot, load the slips, gully and point, then get some short wide stuff out there.

Don't be afraid to be unorthodox

The game, unlike real life, doesn't really treat bowlers like real people. It's really easy to just call upon bowlers at the drop of a hat and they'll deliver. Confidence rarely drops (especially if the bowler has a wicket) and stamina seems to refill rapidly. If things aren't going your way, rotate your guys, different ends, different bowling partnerships, or even give your part timers a go, Joe Root and his part time spin or Malan is worth a go for 2 overs just to see what happens (if you're England). Utilise the short fielders, since their reaction times are practically non-existent and those guys catch literally everything that comes their way. Put a short cover, silly point in for someone like Malan and throw a few juicy half volleys up outside off stump. Worst case is you'll go for runs, which is likely what was happening anyway since you turned to your non-bowlers for a spark. Bowl 2 or 3 over spells rather than 5 or 6, all stuff like that. Getting out 2 bats that are both set can be really tricky. Sometimes try different things than you usually would. I like to bounce out Warner, but I wouldn't normally do it to Steve Smith. If he's already well on his way with runs on the board, I might try it for 2 or 3 overs though as at that stage I've little to lose.

Bring the stumps into play where you can

Someone else mentioned it here but it's really useful to use L1 and R1 to modify a length of delivery. On a hard pitch, which I'm guessing you're facing a lot if you're currently in an Ashes series like me, you're not going to get anything near stump height unless you use a full ball. So try mixing up some full balls with L1 and R1, but think back to the previous point about having a field and a plan. Why are you bowling full? Is it to get an LBW? If so, you're going to have to bowl straight or with inswingers, and that means you'll need a field to match it with protection on the leg side. Are you bowling full to get the batsman driving? In which case, think about your line and plan accordingly with a ring on the offside and the appropriate support in the slips. You vastly open up your options for a dismissal if you're putting the ball on the stumps, but you have to think about the knock on effects.

Accept the AI's flaws, and potentially exploit them

It's well documented that the AI will score at a preset rate each over/session in this game. If you bowl 5 dot balls, there is a high probability chance that the AI will throw the bat at ball 6 to get some runs. Use that to your advantage if you can. Build some pressure then set a plan, and also don't be disheartened when the AI does something ridiculous like dead bats 5 of your deliveries then lifts the 6th, perfectly acceptable and probably similar delivery over fine leg for a six. It happens.

Factor the pitch and ball into your thinking.

Sometimes the pitch just won't help you and you're going to be in for a relatively long day in the field regardless. If the seam and swing isn't there and the bounce is true, all you can do is plug away and do your best, you'll eventually get your time with the bat to do the same and pour it on. If the pitch is green and offering something though, attack. Get those slips in, and don't be afraid to go for a few runs (within reason). Back your bowlers to take wickets, because the conditions, and the ball, won't always be in your favour. In my experience the ball stops helping you at different times. The amount you can get out of it to start it's life varies, but you should be able to get a good 20 overs at least of attacking before you need to dial it back a bit to something more conservative. The ball may then start to reverse any time after the 50 to 55 over mark, give or take, and you'll get another 20 or so overs of movement before you're doing it all again with a new ball at 80 overs. It might be you turn to spin in those middle overs, or a consistent seamer who just bowls straight up and down, but it's something to think about. On PS4, if you hold L2 and R2 together before the bowler starts the run up, you can look down at the quality of the ball and that will give you a visual indicator of it's condition. So long as you still have a good shiny side, you're fine to keep trying to find some movement.

No idea if any of the above will be use to you, always difficult to pitch advice without knowing the person's knowledge level, or general ability in game. I'm sure you'll do great though, and if you need anything else I'm happy to help. Hardly an expert but I enjoy playing the game nevertheless :)

D

Dutch

I wouldn't say I'm an expert by any means, but what I tend to do works for me. Sometimes you just have to accept that bat is going to have the advantage over ball though. On the same settings with the same teams, I've skittled the AI for 155, and I've gone for 550+. It happens so don't get too caught up with either, just do your best.

What I would say from my experience is:

1) Be consistent

2) Set a field to how you're trying to bowl

3) Don't be afraid to be unorthodox

4) Bring the stumps into play where you can

5) Accept the AI's flaws, and potentially exploit them

6) Factor the pitch and ball into your thinking.

Be Consistent

I started bowling and would try and throw the AI a real mixed bag down in the hope the variation would throw them off. Stock ball, out swinger, out swinger, cutter, bouncer, slower ball etc, see what happens. I got much greater success personally from using my seamerss to try and hit 5th or 6th stump 5 balls out of 6 and then using that 1 other ball to do something different. Same with the spinner. Doesn't have to be 5 balls, then different on the 6th to end the over, mix that one different ball up within the over. Don't be afraid to mix up your speeds with the stock balls either, that can get you an edge through poor timing, but consistently asking a question of the CPU to score runs. Set your bowler up where you're happy (I always go closest to the umpire without going round the wicket) and then just plug away knowing consistently where you need to put the ball in terms of length and line. The pitch may well give you some seam movement anyway even if you're selecting stock ball, but check hawkeye at the end of each other to see what's happening. By bowling that line, I know pretty much the kind of shots the AI is going to play the majority of the time, where they're going to try and hit the ball, I'll have the fielders in place to stop those shots for the most part, and guys in place to catch any mistakes that find the edge or a false shot.

Set a field to how you're trying to bowl and have a plan

Quite an obvious one, but maybe helpful if you're giving up a lot of runs. If I'm bowling to that 5th/6th wicket line outside off stump, I know the field I need and it may involve having just 2 or 3 guys on leg. That's fine. I don't want to be going any further across that off stump or that's not what my field is there to help me with and I'll give up a lot of runs. Following on from the point above, if I'm on the 5th/6th stump line and it's early in a game, I'll be bowling relatively full, vary my speed, I'll have 3 slips and a gully, a point, a guy around the covers, mid off, then maybe a midwicket and a square leg for a 7/2 field. I might vary on that slightly and strengthen the covers at the expense of a close catcher if I don't have as many runs to play with, but I'm bowling to encourage the drive, with a field that should be able to limit that shot unless the batsman finds a gap or plays a more unorthodox shot, like hitting me to leg from outside off stump.If the ball is swinging a lot, I might want to take someone out of the offside and strengthen the leg so I can bowl inswingers, but I wouldn't bowl like that with just 2 guys on leg unless I had a lot of runs to play with.

Another good example, David Warner loves to hook. I get him out like that a lot, he can't help himself. Get a midwicket, a square leg, a square or fine leg, and a third man/deep point (the AI loves to do a weird high cut shot to short balls) then just start banging half trackers at him. You'll be able to do that for a few balls, either as bouncers or as short cutters and see what he does, but you have the fielders there to protect the shots that are likely to follow. If you're going to then start bowling it full and outside off stump, you're going to bleed runs pretty fast. Make sure your field works to the plan you're trying to execute, and it may be the batsman's weak shot plays into the plan (L3 on the PS4, not sure about the xbox). If a batsman's weakness is the cut shot, load the slips, gully and point, then get some short wide stuff out there.

Don't be afraid to be unorthodox

The game, unlike real life, doesn't really treat bowlers like real people. It's really easy to just call upon bowlers at the drop of a hat and they'll deliver. Confidence rarely drops (especially if the bowler has a wicket) and stamina seems to refill rapidly. If things aren't going your way, rotate your guys, different ends, different bowling partnerships, or even give your part timers a go, Joe Root and his part time spin or Malan is worth a go for 2 overs just to see what happens (if you're England). Utilise the short fielders, since their reaction times are practically non-existent and those guys catch literally everything that comes their way. Put a short cover, silly point in for someone like Malan and throw a few juicy half volleys up outside off stump. Worst case is you'll go for runs, which is likely what was happening anyway since you turned to your non-bowlers for a spark. Bowl 2 or 3 over spells rather than 5 or 6, all stuff like that. Getting out 2 bats that are both set can be really tricky. Sometimes try different things than you usually would. I like to bounce out Warner, but I wouldn't normally do it to Steve Smith. If he's already well on his way with runs on the board, I might try it for 2 or 3 overs though as at that stage I've little to lose.

Bring the stumps into play where you can

Someone else mentioned it here but it's really useful to use L1 and R1 to modify a length of delivery. On a hard pitch, which I'm guessing you're facing a lot if you're currently in an Ashes series like me, you're not going to get anything near stump height unless you use a full ball. So try mixing up some full balls with L1 and R1, but think back to the previous point about having a field and a plan. Why are you bowling full? Is it to get an LBW? If so, you're going to have to bowl straight or with inswingers, and that means you'll need a field to match it with protection on the leg side. Are you bowling full to get the batsman driving? In which case, think about your line and plan accordingly with a ring on the offside and the appropriate support in the slips. You vastly open up your options for a dismissal if you're putting the ball on the stumps, but you have to think about the knock on effects.

Accept the AI's flaws, and potentially exploit them

It's well documented that the AI will score at a preset rate each over/session in this game. If you bowl 5 dot balls, there is a high probability chance that the AI will throw the bat at ball 6 to get some runs. Use that to your advantage if you can. Build some pressure then set a plan, and also don't be disheartened when the AI does something ridiculous like dead bats 5 of your deliveries then lifts the 6th, perfectly acceptable and probably similar delivery over fine leg for a six. It happens.

Factor the pitch and ball into your thinking.

Sometimes the pitch just won't help you and you're going to be in for a relatively long day in the field regardless. If the seam and swing isn't there and the bounce is true, all you can do is plug away and do your best, you'll eventually get your time with the bat to do the same and pour it on. If the pitch is green and offering something though, attack. Get those slips in, and don't be afraid to go for a few runs (within reason). Back your bowlers to take wickets, because the conditions, and the ball, won't always be in your favour. In my experience the ball stops helping you at different times. The amount you can get out of it to start it's life varies, but you should be able to get a good 20 overs at least of attacking before you need to dial it back a bit to something more conservative. The ball may then start to reverse any time after the 50 to 55 over mark, give or take, and you'll get another 20 or so overs of movement before you're doing it all again with a new ball at 80 overs. It might be you turn to spin in those middle overs, or a consistent seamer who just bowls straight up and down, but it's something to think about. On PS4, if you hold L2 and R2 together before the bowler starts the run up, you can look down at the quality of the ball and that will give you a visual indicator of it's condition. So long as you still have a good shiny side, you're fine to keep trying to find some movement.

No idea if any of the above will be use to you, always difficult to pitch advice without knowing the person's knowledge level, or general ability in game. I'm sure you'll do great though, and if you need anything else I'm happy to help. Hardly an expert but I enjoy playing the game nevertheless :)
@zimrahil surely post of the month????

tarrantino

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
@Rumple43 wow you ask was that useful? That was perfect. I just needed it laid out like that to understand the mechanics a little bit more.

You’re right it is a hard pitch and makes sense with using LB/RB, L1/R1.

Thanks for that very informative post and I hope others who are on the peripheral will benefit from this.

jaraarrow

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
bowl full ball with R1 modifier -- bowls it even fuller, or L1 modifier on yorker (bowls it shorter) that should hit the wickets
Does r1 not bowl it shorter and l1 longer?

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
Since we are talking about bowling here, has anyone experimented any kind of difference how how AI approaches "preset fields" that come with the game and custom field sets?

Can someone give this a try as well..Like same conditions, pitch, teams except with use of preset and custom..

I play with custom as I like to set field to my bowler...Just would like to know whether this takes something out of the equation like unnecessary slogs or something along the lines that AI does differently..

jaraarrow

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Oooo, maybe I got them the wrong way round but I thought that was correct. Happy to edit if I got them mixed up. Will test this later on just to be sure :)
The way I remember is l for long:)

Users who are viewing this thread