Champions League/European Competition Thread

SambarVadai

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Real Madrid and Chelsea have got the easiest group here.Both literally have a walk in the park for the group stages.
Turns out that Barça and Manchester City have got tough groups.Having teams like Ajax,PSG,Bayern and Roma..its not gonna be easy for these two.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Liverpool got very lucky there, Ludogorets played very well.

Sulaiman7

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I didn't watch the match so can anyone tell me did Gerrard slip?

Sulaiman7

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Thank God they won though or else I would have lost almost about 100K.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Man Shieky was piss poor the game was so boring that 50 + guys including me during the 2nd half were talking about the referendum
Bad opening week. Chelsea should have won but Arsenal, Liverpool and City all looked really poor.
What were people expecting from us away at Munich in the group opener, we have no real reason to play to win unlike last season in the same fixture, our plan clearly was setup to defend and if we knick a goal, great, if not we come away with a draw and can control finishing first in the group in the home tie vs Bayern, and we were just a few minutes away from doing that. This is how English clubs have progressed in this competition for decades now against better opposition, draw away from home and take control of the tie at home, and it's only 1-0 loss, we can still top this group.

Last edited:

Epic

Panel of Selectors
We definitely won't now, Pellegrini (for the 2nd time in his tenure, other being vs Bayern at home last season) let us down tactically in Europe, playing a 4-4-2 in Europe is a major no-no, especially against Roma's 4-3-3, Yaya maybe on top top form can play with Fernandinho vs 3 man midfields and dominate, but even that is pushing it. I however trust in Pellegrini to put this right going forward, he has the tactical awareness as he showed in the Roma game to make the changes necessary, it was just a little too late and Roma held on and after the loss vs Bayern at home last season, he put the 4-4-2 away for the rest of the run in Europe, so he isn't stubborn for his own good.

I'm still confident we get out of this group, yes we've made it difficult and put a lot of unnecessary extra pressure on ourselves, but that's us, "Typical City", we've got CSKA coming up back to back thus it's also Roma and Bayern coming up back to back, so we'll know exactly what we're working with in our final 2 games vs Bayern at home and Roma away, hopefully we get all the 6 points vs CSKA and Bayern do the same vs Roma as well.[DOUBLEPOST=1412246311][/DOUBLEPOST]For all the shit I've given Blanc for his blatant refusal to play Cavani through the middle with Ibra in Ligue 1 at the expense of 1 of the midfielders, them getting good results in the CL with their default 4-3-3 does bring up a point I've made a million times before that the 4-4-2 as our default formation holds us back in Europe, ofc it's different this season without a 4th striker (I don't necessarily consider Jovetic as our 3rd striker, but just for argument sake) and us playing both 4-4-2 and 4-4-1-1/4-2-3-1 equally, actually we've played the latter more.

Last edited:

Epic

Panel of Selectors
UEFA change Champions League seeding - ESPN FC

Personally I would've gone with the CL holder, EL holder, champions of the top 5 leagues in Europe and 1 champion or non champion from any league with the best UEFA coefficient making up pot 1, because I do believe that consistently performing well in the CL should be rewarded to some extent, but nonetheless, what's been approved is much better than what we have today.

Last edited:

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
UEFA change Champions League seeding - ESPN FC

Personally I would've gone with the CL holder, EL holder, champions of the top 5 leagues in Europe and 1 champion or non champion from any league with the best UEFA coefficient making up pot 1, because I do believe that consistently performing well in the CL should be rewarded to some extent, but nonetheless, what's been approved is much better than what we have today.

Yeah it's an improvement, but certainly the prospect of the likes of Barca/Real or even both in pot 2 is strange.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I'm not sure about the new seeding system as I tend to think what's the point, and may well end up with 2nd seeded teams getting more favourable draws. afterall, say barcelona come 2nd in the league, they could get a group with the champions of greece, and then a pot 3 and pot 4 team. real madrid finishing first are more likely to get stuck with one of the runners up from germany, england or italy.

the limit for each league should be capped at 3 I think, that would be a bit fairer, UEFA needs to mindful of the mega clubs becoming reliant on CL money. milan, embarrassingly, were touting the idea of wildcards to be given to glamour clubs round europe. these would be reserved to ensure clubs like madrid, man u, barcelona, bayern munich, possibly milan and juventus were never left out. which is pointing to increased reliance on that, and it will be when this reliance comes under constant threat that's when we'll see the prospect of a permanent super league setup by the clubs, which will be on invitation, not merit.

Users who are viewing this thread