Ashy-90

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Based on?[DOUBLEPOST=1569494110][/DOUBLEPOST]
Best way to go is window mode not fullscreen. The game isnt optimized for widescreen so it will be stretched in full screen mode.
what about V-sync ?? should be on or off in game settings ??

D

Dutch

what about V-sync ?? should be on or off in game settings ??
V sync has nothing to do with the resolution I think: one of the knowledgeable people will help you on that. V sync on locks the frame rate to the monitor refresh rate to stop texture tearing.... I think.

Ashy-90

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
India
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
V sync has nothing to do with the resolution I think: one of the knowledgeable people will help you on that. V sync on locks the frame rate to the monitor refresh rate to stop texture tearing.... I think.
Thanks mate.
But should I leave it on ?

Mitchell

Panel of Selectors
AUS..
Profile Flag
Australia
Based on?[DOUBLEPOST=1569494110][/DOUBLEPOST]
Best way to go is window mode not fullscreen. The game isnt optimized for widescreen so it will be stretched in full screen mode.
Based on the ashes been every two years and me always been right hahah

disco123

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
England
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
My suggestion would be turn off the ball marker (the red/green/yellow/blue) circle around the ball. Just go with the pitch marker (I'd suggest the black colour not the colour coded option) Reasoning being:

I noticed in DBC 17 I wasn't doing anything other than reacting to the colour. Red - back foot, everything else - front foot. It is, in my opinion, a button prompt and completely removes the skill of judging length, which is a key part of batting. Fine if you're a casual player but I like to have a more in depth experience. And, like you say, it can lead to you not always playing the shots you think you should. That can still happen without the ball marker of course but it feels like a mistake by you not a mistake based on your reaction to a guide given by the game. You're more likely to learn from that mistake too.

You have to actually work out how the ball is bouncing off the pitch. This is more cricketing skill than being able to react to the colour of a circle. There is a lot more variation on certain pitches and you will, as a batsman does IRL, work out when to play off the front and back foot.

Personally, I like having as little clutter on the screen as possible - same reason I'd like to have the bowling hud disappear after I've selected my delivery. It's far more enjoyable to bowl when you are doing the footwork and release based on the bowler movement not on the position of a meter.

You might consider changing the leave button, I've always liked it as R3. My thumb is always on there so it is easier and quicker to play a leave than moving to another button.

It might take a bit of getting used to, maybe have a go in the practice mode, but it's such a better game without the ball marker.

This really makes a major difference to the game experience, I’m playing shots on length and direction as in real life, I’ve played shots I’ve never played before , and takes a fair bit of getting used to , but quite rewarding when you get it right , thank you :)

relaxedanderson

County Cricketer
This really makes a major difference to the game experience, I’m playing shots on length and direction as in real life, I’ve played shots I’ve never played before , and takes a fair bit of getting used to , but quite rewarding when you get it right , thank you :)

I've switched as well and it's great. I'm finding myself playing shots all around the wicket rather than all in two or three areas and I'm not getting frustrated by playing completely inappropriate shots due to the imperfect colour system. Now, if I play a rubbish shot I get annoyed at myself rather than at the game for showing me a red circle but having the ball pass at stump height when I'm on the back-foot hooking. Also, I can now tell the difference between a yorker right in the blockhole and a rank full-toss, no way of telling with the blue circle. Now I get the "eyes light up" thing when a full-toss comes and I can dispatch it into the crowd (or straight down the throat of extra cover...just like real life). I'm also finding myself getting out in ways that I never was before; mainly getting trapped in front by left arm seamers bowling straight on a good length. But I like this because it feels like real batting; the opposition have worked me out and found a weakness and now I have to work on it or keep getting out cheaply.

I'm still playing around with the amount of time to have the marker displayed in order to get the balance right between having to react quickly but also having the time to make good decisions (just like real batting) but I'm nearly there. The thing I'm thinking about now is how good it would be to have the marker time vary depending on the quality and form of the batsman; from when the bowler is still taking his sweater off for Steve Smith to five seconds after the off-stump has been ripped out of the ground for Devon Malcolm

Cheers @wasteyouryouth, great suggestion

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I've switched as well and it's great. I'm finding myself playing shots all around the wicket rather than all in two or three areas and I'm not getting frustrated by playing completely inappropriate shots due to the imperfect colour system. Now, if I play a rubbish shot I get annoyed at myself rather than at the game for showing me a red circle but having the ball pass at stump height when I'm on the back-foot hooking. Also, I can now tell the difference between a yorker right in the blockhole and a rank full-toss, no way of telling with the blue circle. Now I get the "eyes light up" thing when a full-toss comes and I can dispatch it into the crowd (or straight down the throat of extra cover...just like real life). I'm also finding myself getting out in ways that I never was before; mainly getting trapped in front by left arm seamers bowling straight on a good length. But I like this because it feels like real batting; the opposition have worked me out and found a weakness and now I have to work on it or keep getting out cheaply.

I'm still playing around with the amount of time to have the marker displayed in order to get the balance right between having to react quickly but also having the time to make good decisions (just like real batting) but I'm nearly there. The thing I'm thinking about now is how good it would be to have the marker time vary depending on the quality and form of the batsman; from when the bowler is still taking his sweater off for Steve Smith to five seconds after the off-stump has been ripped out of the ground for Devon Malcolm

I'm currently on a 1 for ball marker display time. I like it to appear late, it feels more natural to me. If it's appearing too early I'm already playing my shot before the ball has barely left the bowler's hand. I try to get it as close to the bowler's release as possible.A I'm playing around with some other settings and might go back up to 2.:lol

Glad to hear it's improved the experience for you and the others that have tried it.

disco123

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
England
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4

The joy I felt when I played the back foot punch into the covers , and the leg glance , I watched replays several times thinking did I just see that !

relaxedanderson

County Cricketer
I'm currently on a 1 for ball marker display time. I like it to appear late, it feels more natural to me. If it's appearing too early I'm already playing my shot before the ball has barely left the bowler's hand. I try to get it as close to the bowler's release as possible.A I'm playing around with some other settings and might go back up to 2.:lol

Glad to hear it's improved the experience for you and the others that have tried it.

I think I'm on 10 at the moment but that's because I've just started a new career and my player's batting is still a bit rubbish. If I kept getting LBW to the lefties or bowled by spinners pitching it up then I wouldn't get my contract renewed at Newport, let alone play for England one day.

I started on 50 and that was enough time to post a message on here asking people what shot they think I should play. Went down to 0 and that was LBW-a-go-go. 10's working at the moment but I'm sure that will go down in the future.[DOUBLEPOST=1569615823][/DOUBLEPOST]
The joy I felt when I played the back foot punch into the covers , and the leg glance , I watched replays several times thinking did I just see that !

Yep, they are my new bread and butter shots. I didn't think leg glances were possible in the game before this, now I can get them so fine the keeper thinks they're in with a chance (they're not).

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I've read posts all the time, probably dating back to DBC 17, by people saying I can't play this shot or that shot - front font pull being a common. I'm like 'I play that shot all the time.' Maybe there's something to taking away that comfort zone and prompting that the ball marker gives you so it starts to bring out more variety. I play the back foot punch all the time.

I think I'm on 10 at the moment but that's because I've just started a new career and my player's batting is still a bit rubbish. If I kept getting LBW to the lefties or bowled by spinners pitching it up then I wouldn't get my contract renewed at Newport, let alone play for England one day.

I started on 50 and that was enough time to post a message on here asking people what shot they think I should play. Went down to 0 and that was LBW-a-go-go. 10's working at the moment but I'm sure that will go down in the future.[DOUBLEPOST=1569615823][/DOUBLEPOST]

Yep, they are my new bread and butter shots. I didn't think leg glances were possible in the game before this, now I can get them so fine the keeper thinks they're in with a chance (they're not).

I started around about 10, I think. I've always had that lower and haven't played with the ball marker for a long time so I'm more accustomed to it. I think small adjustments are best. I struggled with this game at first; Medium too easy and Hard too difficult. So I changed each slider to halfway point between the two. It was good, but then I lost my settings. Because I couldn't be bothered tweaking them I just went to Hard and I found it was no longer difficult. Now I'm looking at what small adjustments I can make to increase the difficulty of batting in other areas.

Little Timmy

Little Timmy
Profile Flag
England
I’ll repeat what I’ve said before, the thrill of taking wickets in this game is so great. I love the edges to the keeper, knocking over the stumps and overturning LBW decisions. I’ve come a long way that I enjoy bowling more than batting but batting is good too. It’s not too easy but you need to apply yourself.

I can’t get into Career Mode but doing my custom Test/ODI leagues as England is so enjoyable. The game has come so far from the waiting 5 minutes for the ball to trickle back to the spinner or batsmen just standing out of the crease like in DBC14.

Yeah I’d love another patch if people are having problems but hopefully Big Ant will continue and make another great game in a couple of years. How about some studio stuff like NBA or concussion subs?!

www.sillypointcricket.com

D

Dutch

I've read posts all the time, probably dating back to DBC 17, by people saying I can't play this shot or that shot - front font pull being a common. I'm like 'I play that shot all the time.' Maybe there's something to taking away that comfort zone and prompting that the ball marker gives you so it starts to bring out more variety. I play the back foot punch all the time.

I started around about 10, I think. I've always had that lower and haven't played with the ball marker for a long time so I'm more accustomed to it. I think small adjustments are best. I struggled with this game at first; Medium too easy and Hard too difficult. So I changed each slider to halfway point between the two. It was good, but then I lost my settings. Because I couldn't be bothered tweaking them I just went to Hard and I found it was no longer difficult. Now I'm looking at what small adjustments I can make to increase the difficulty of batting in other areas.
Really love these settings: really testing in first class formats

Users who are viewing this thread