Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
An unexpected upside to this game.

Now I'm stuck working from home all day everyday and with the complete absence of any real sport I've had a CPU vs CPU "Test Match" on in the background all day.

90s England vs 90s Australia. It's coming to the end now with the Aussies needing another 108 runs to win with 6 wickets remaining. Border was looking well set until he chopped on a straight one from Tuffers. Now it all rests on the Waugh brothers.

There was a great passage of play earlier this morning when Devon Malcolm kept out a rampant McGrath/Warne combination who were bowling jaffa after jaffa at him but somehow he survived. Ended on 3 not out from 74 balls. Work stopped at that point.

I think I'll be doing this regularly.

Edit: England look like they're going to win this. Aus need 50 from the last wicket. Devon bowling like a demon.

Edit 2: And that's it. England win by 25 runs. Reiffel and McGrath looked like they might bring it home at one point until Darren Gough pitched one up and trapped Reiffel in front with one that would have hit the middle of middle stump. Cracking game! Definitely doing this again tomorrow.

I do CPU tests v CPU tests all the time. I have them on in the background while I work and keep the stats for them.

I've stopped doing it though because it exposes some of the less than adequate AI. I'm talking no catches in the inner ring and that 4th innings invincibility. It just isn't realistic.

I now just bowl as both teams on Ashes Cricket.

Perhaps if we can have a consensus on whether 4th innings AI is invincible, or whether we can have ring catches and outfield catches, I may return to C19?

@blockerdave

I am in Johannesburg for a serious lockdown anyway and my PC isn't here. We can't even leave our suburbs and there are army and stuff on the streets.

D

Deleted member 193590

I do CPU tests v CPU tests all the time. I have them on in the background while I work and keep the stats for them.

I've stopped doing it though because it exposes some of the less than adequate AI. I'm talking no catches in the inner ring and that 4th innings invincibility. It just isn't realistic.

Perhaps if we can have a consensus on whether 4th innings AI is invincible, or whether we can have ring catches and outfield catches, I may return to C19?

@blockerdave

I am in Johannesburg for a serious lockdown anyway and my PC isn't here. We can't even leave our suburbs and there are army and stuff on the streets.

Just finished an AI vs AI test,where the team batting last lost by 175 runs.So they are not totally invincible.

Tom65

School Cricketer
Hello. New user here so forgive me this this is a stupid question.. I am using the XBOX One and just downloaded the game so assume it's the latest version. When I'm bowling (in any format) the bowling meter goes down and I click in the green area, it then should start moving back up for the release and you have to click in the green area again. It seems to me that randomly (maybe a third of the time) the white line just doesnt move up on the release meter at all and it always says the release was early. It does this even if I don't change anything about the delivery. I have searched online, gone back to the tutorial, all in vain. Is this a known bug or am I being stupid?

Many thanks!

Tom

relaxedanderson

County Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned

@blockerdave

Everything was fine for me in that game yesterday. Australia set 230 to win; lost three early wickets; Border and M.Waugh steadied things and got Aus in a good position to win but then there was a collapse with a nice variety of dismissals (including a chip up to mid-wicket and an attempted hook helped around the corner and down leg-slip's throat); tail wagged a bit but Aus all out for 229. Very satisfying game.

Wealey

ICC Board Member

@blockerdave

Just something that puzzles me and I don’t know if @blockerdave has experienced this as he plays mostly long format. But I went on earlier and lowered everyone’s control. Which apparently controls shot trajectory.

Anyway couldn’t test for long enough but went in to an ODI where you would expect some lofted shits obviously.

I have noticed this before but when I bowl a no ball the free hit quite often gets slapped to a fielder for a catch. In the ring or on the boundary. But then you won’t get it for a normal delivery or very very very rarely.

I have no idea why this is? But the ability for outfield catches is there. Because they do it on a free hot ALOT!

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Just something that puzzles me and I don’t know if @blockerdave has experienced this as he plays mostly long format. But I went on earlier and lowered everyone’s control. Which apparently controls shot trajectory.

Anyway couldn’t test for long enough but went in to an ODI where you would expect some lofted shits obviously.

I have noticed this before but when I bowl a no ball the free hit quite often gets slapped to a fielder for a catch. In the ring or on the boundary. But then you won’t get it for a normal delivery or very very very rarely.

I have no idea why this is? But the ability for outfield catches is there. Because they do it on a free hot ALOT!

I haven’t had a single one in c19 for a very long time. I think the only ones I get had were mistimed pills, don’t think I’ve ever had any from any other shot - could be wrong, but just don’t recall any.

but yes I only play tests. I’d actually consider playing the other formats but for this issue but I’ve no interest in playing a format where the AI can go aerial whenever it wants with no risk and all my shots have (plenty of) risk.

I don’t mind losing, but want it to feel semi-fair.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
I haven’t had a single one in c19 for a very long time. I think the only ones I get had were mistimed pills, don’t think I’ve ever had any from any other shot - could be wrong, but just don’t recall any.

but yes I only play tests. I’d actually consider playing the other formats but for this issue but I’ve no interest in playing a format where the AI can go aerial whenever it wants with no risk and all my shots have (plenty of) risk.

Tests it doesn’t both me too much.. but Limited overs HAS to have catches!

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
@WealeyH @Langeveldt

Hemmings was tired having bowled unchanged since the 18th over until tea, no swing, 60+ overs old ball, decided to set an *unorthodox* field and give the tailenders some chin music from around the wicket.

Caveats:
  1. When I've tried this recently with a more orthodox field the hooks/pulls have always gone into space.
  2. This really was a very unorthodox field so may have produced a weird result
  3. Still don't think I've had any other form of ring/outfield catch
  4. No idea how the first one was dropped?
But anyway - some form of outfield catch is there.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
@WealeyH @Langeveldt

Hemmings was tired having bowled unchanged since the 18th over until tea, no swing, 60+ overs old ball, decided to set an *unorthodox* field and give the tailenders some chin music from around the wicket.

Caveats:
  1. When I've tried this recently with a more orthodox field the hooks/pulls have always gone into space.
  2. This really was a very unorthodox field so may have produced a weird result
  3. Still don't think I've had any other form of ring/outfield catch
  4. No idea how the first one was dropped?
But anyway - some form of outfield catch is there.
I usually find when you fill gaps that might not necessarily be filled IRL is when the AI begins to flounder. It's where you have to except it's a game and not real life and the 'orthodoxies' are a little different. Always approached the games this way; it's how you find bugs or tactics (remember the overpowered cutters I discovered on Ashes that allowed you to bowl teams out for about 50).

Obviously getting as close to real life is desirable but there's only so far it will get before it's time to accept you're stuck with what's there until the next iteration.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I usually find when you fill gaps that might not necessarily be filled IRL is when the AI begins to flounder. It's where you have to except it's a game and not real life and the 'orthodoxies' are a little different. Always approached the games this way; it's how you find bugs or tactics (remember the overpowered cutters I discovered on Ashes that allowed you to bowl teams out for about 50).

Obviously getting as close to real life is desirable but there's only so far it will get before it's time to accept you're stuck with what's there until the next iteration.

Yep. I certainly wouldn't typically set that field... might do now in 4th inns though :lol:lol:lol

In other games and earlier in c19 i would use short-pitched bowling (either over or around the wicket) as a tactic against either top-order batsmen who were taking me apart or stubborn tail-enders that just won't get out, and that would typically be a more orthodox field: still have 1 or 2 slips, maybe a short leg or a leg slip etc. I found that reasonably effective - the better players might deal with it, the lesser ones would struggle and eventually get out usually with a mis-timed pull. At some point in c19 that just stopped happening.

I remember once in Ashes I bowled maybe 6 or 7 overs at Steve Waugh around the wicket, short bowling and he was being hit, finding the gaps even when he mistimed etc... Not a ball fuller than half-way down for over after over, then eventually I slipped in a yorker and he was bowled - absolutely glorious!!

Sahil70

Club Captain

Problem is AI does this in tests too, where they go into the smash a boundary every over and not much with the other 5 balls mode.

Sahil70

Club Captain
Honestly, I genuinely don’t have that problem and tests is the only format I play.

Wonder what I'm doing wrong then. Tests is only format I play too. I've played around with the settings, but just cannot seem to get rid of this annoying thing. Currently have AI setting on striker timing at 55, wicket chance at 25 and runrate also at 25. What setting are you on?

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Wonder what I'm doing wrong then. Tests is only format I play too. I've played around with the settings, but just cannot seem to get rid of this annoying thing. Currently have AI setting on striker timing at 55, wicket chance at 25 and runrate also at 25. What setting are you on?

I’ll check and post. They certainly hit boundaries, and certainly go over the top at times but it’s not every over and they will nurdle singles and I can get maidens etc.

Users who are viewing this thread