Cricket 24 - General Discussion

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
There's what, 30 teams? They all basically have the same uniform/kit. Baseball is less complex sport. Once the basics are there you can work on the 'fluff' to make it seem better.

It's published by Sony and an in-house developer that only works on that game. It's unrealistic to expect the same standards, in many/most areas, for the Cricket games.

Some of that was what I alluded to with other factors haha. :p

I do think in an alternate universe where gaming development was easier in India and there was a bigger market for games across the subcontinent we'd have one Indian development team that would have been exclusively worked on cricket and managed to get it to a really good level while making enough money off it. Maybe they would have got a Microsoft publishing deal too.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Some of that was what I alluded to with other factors haha. :p

I do think in an alternate universe where gaming development was easier in India and there was a bigger market for games across the subcontinent we'd have one Indian development team that would have been exclusively worked on cricket and managed to get it to a really good level while making enough money off it. Maybe they would have got a Microsoft publishing deal too.
Yeah, it's more of a case of some people having wildly improbable expectations. Expecting BA to deliver a game that looks as good as MLB or NBA is unrealistic. It's like asking why that Gollum game isn't at the same level as Shadow of Mordor just because they are both Lord of the Rings.

Bevab

Staff Member
Yeah, it's more of a case of some people having wildly improbable expectations. Expecting BA to deliver a game that looks as good as MLB or NBA is unrealistic. It's like asking why that Gollum game isn't at the same level as Shadow of Mordor just because they are both Lord of the Rings.

It's a mixture of things ultimately, I doubt we'd have these sort of complaints en masse if the game was buggy or incomplete or the series hadn't stagnated. Of course there would still be the one voice that goes 'bUt MuH FiFa GrApHiCs' but I like to believe that a lot of these wishful comments are because the developers haven't really got the current iteration of the game where it should be.

It's why I would rather see another competitor rise up, it genuinely feels like complacency has set in to an extent. Both of the current titans in football video games have been accused of stagnation because their competitors shut up shop or chose to devolve.

T.J.Hooker II

Club Captain
Just looking at NBA 23k, even with vastly more budget and dev time than BA they're still miles away from really super realistic player animations and movements. There are lots of little jumpy bits or bits that look like frame skips when players need to change direction quickly or if they collide with another player. Some players look a bit floaty or robotic when performing certain maneouvres. There's no way you could mistake the footage for real live footage.

I reckon basketball is probably a seriously difficult challenge in terms of all the possible interactions of players and animations but I don't think it's more difficult than cricket.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Just looking at NBA 23k, even with vastly more budget and dev time than BA they're still miles away from really super realistic player animations and movements. There are lots of little jumpy bits or bits that look like frame skips when players need to change direction quickly or if they collide with another player. Some players look a bit floaty or robotic when performing certain maneouvres. There's no way you could mistake the footage for real live footage.

I reckon basketball is probably a seriously difficult challenge in terms of all the possible interactions of players and animations but I don't think it's more difficult than cricket.
Yep, fluid, realistic movement seems a challenge for most games, particularly when it requires interaction with another object.
It's a mixture of things ultimately, I doubt we'd have these sort of complaints en masse if the game was buggy or incomplete or the series hadn't stagnated. Of course there would still be the one voice that goes 'bUt MuH FiFa GrApHiCs' but I like to believe that a lot of these wishful comments are because the developers haven't really got the current iteration of the game where it should be.

It's why I would rather see another competitor rise up, it genuinely feels like complacency has set in to an extent. Both of the current titans in football video games have been accused of stagnation because their competitors shut up shop or chose to devolve.
I wouldn't say it's complacency, I just think the time between releases has been reduced since they addition of bigger licenses and other projects. At some point, no matter how much you want to make additions or improvements, things will inevitably get shelved or put back.

T.J.Hooker II

Club Captain
At risk of shitty analogies, it's like crossing the Atlantic. Building the ship is the biggest expense.

BA built their ship for DBC14, and currently nobody else has one. And unless some cricket loving billionaire is going to fund it there's going to have to be a really likely prospect of making a significantly larger sum back than the cost of the dev process for any new entries to the field, if they're going to have a budget to compete.

Also like ship building, eventually you need a really significant refit or a new ship.

Karachi

Associate Captain
Seems like graphics have highjacked the entire discussion. Graphics do matter, no matter what anyone says. After all, first impression is the last impression. But no one is asking BA to develop ultra-realistic visuals. What is required from them is to improve upon their presentation and capture cricketing atmosphere as it should be alongside good gameplay. In doing so they could at least try and achieve the production quality of the same level that the big sporting games were 10 years ago.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
There's what, 30 teams? They all basically have the same uniform/kit. Baseball is less complex sport. Once the basics are there you can work on the 'fluff' to make it seem better.

It's published by Sony and an in-house developer that only works on that game. It's unrealistic to expect the same standards, in many/most areas, for the Cricket games.
30 MLB teams and 120 MiLB teams. They have a total of 150 teams. The career mode is deep and interesting, the progression feels better without even talking about the fluff. As @Bevab said, BA revolutionized with DB14 and did a decent job with 19 next. Since then it all about money grab, no fluff, no fuss, no gameplay that is interesting.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Like BCCI's tournament organization, BA, coincidentally starting with the same letter.. have nothing to lose. The games name is Cricket 23 and releasing in October with World Cup will also give them equal sales if not more. Would have been a different story if this was during a non World Cup year.

ashar rizwan

Associate Captain
Like BCCI's tournament organization, BA, coincidentally starting with the same letter.. have nothing to lose. The games name is Cricket 23 and releasing in October with World Cup will also give them equal sales if not more. Would have been a different story if this was during a non World Cup year.
Cricket 24:The moded version of cricket 22

Should be the tagline its of "official game of the ashes"

Jake Azazel

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
Well ask me, I'd rather have a delayed game that works than an on-time but broken game.

Users who are viewing this thread