Cricket 24 - General Discussion

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Ratings in general don’t have as much of an impact in the game as they should have.

To the defence of BA, it’s not something FIFA has nailed down either. I’ve only noticed the differences in different attribute ratings in recent editions and even then it really isn’t that significant.
Individual skills and their impact has always been vague. Overall, batting, bowling ratings seem most relevant in respect of team selection etc. That's why whenever I've done anything with skills I prioritise balance above all else. I can stick a few numbers and selections into my spreadsheet and quickly see that Player A has X number of points and Player B would have Y number.

In regard to fielding, you could at least have catching relative to a percentage chance of taking a catch. So, a player with 90/100 for catching would have 90% chance of taking a catch. Catching percentages would be something fairly easily measurable - if you sat and watched every match at least - so you could look evaluate over time.

Differentiation between how players do things seems more worthwhile than individual skill points - are professional cricketers really that different when broken down in a way using technical shot skills in the game? I think other factors such as judgement, reaction time, decision making, patience, aggression (e.g. mental skills and approach) are more what differentiate Virat Kohli from Zak Crawley. The perks from Cricket 19 (like greater confidence in a powerplay), Proficiencies in Cricket 22 and mentality are what have always seemed to be the key difference makers in terms of AI batting.

On the second point, I think that comes from the struggle to balance of user skill and the skill of the player in the game. When I used to play PES I would prioritise speed over anything else. I feel like, for the most part, in Cricket, a lot of people expect to be able to do certain things with every player. If success is based on the accuracy of control inputs, which it seems to be (and the fact there's nothing in the match to suggest what can and can't be achieved with a player), that more arcade style is probably more appropriate, if not satisfying for some of us.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Individual skills and their impact has always been vague. Overall, batting, bowling ratings seem most relevant in respect of team selection etc. That's why whenever I've done anything with skills I prioritise balance above all else. I can stick a few numbers and selections into my spreadsheet and quickly see that Player A has X number of points and Player B would have Y number.

In regard to fielding, you could at least have catching relative to a percentage chance of taking a catch. So, a player with 90/100 for catching would have 90% chance of taking a catch. Catching percentages would be something fairly easily measurable - if you sat and watched every match at least - so you could look evaluate over time.

I don't think this is as simple as using a spreadsheet to calculate a percentage and allocate that player.

As an example, take Kohli - arguably a very safe pair of hands for India however if you look at his stats in the last 5 years he has dropped 27 catches (which I believe is more than the rest of the Indian team combined). Now that could be a case of Kohli being quite an agile person in the field and hence getting to some of the harder catches and dropping them - however, it would not be fair to lower his catching rating due to those stats.

I believe fielding can be split into a few key categories like - agility/speed (the ability to cover the ground quicker and hence perfect for an outfielder at long on etc.), accuracy (how close to the stumps can they return a ball/hit the stumps from a distance), catching ability (how many catches has he taken that are skiers or more regulation catches), age aswell (younger would generally be quicker) etc.

This alongside a desired position for said fielder - if he is a slip fielder (ala Inzi) and you move him out to the boundary - he is likely to be sloppy and lazy and give away extra runs.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I don't think this is as simple as using a spreadsheet to calculate a percentage and allocate that player.

As an example, take Kohli - arguably a very safe pair of hands for India however if you look at his stats in the last 5 years he has dropped 27 catches (which I believe is more than the rest of the Indian team combined). Now that could be a case of Kohli being quite an agile person in the field and hence getting to some of the harder catches and dropping them - however, it would not be fair to lower his catching rating due to those stats.

I believe fielding can be split into a few key categories like - agility/speed (the ability to cover the ground quicker and hence perfect for an outfielder at long on etc.), accuracy (how close to the stumps can they return a ball/hit the stumps from a distance), catching ability (how many catches has he taken that are skiers or more regulation catches), age aswell (younger would generally be quicker) etc.

This alongside a desired position for said fielder - if he is a slip fielder (ala Inzi) and you move him out to the boundary - he is likely to be sloppy and lazy and give away extra runs.
Of course you'd need extrapolate the likelihood of taking that catch based on other factors that would increase or decrease the percentage chance. My example was a basic one that would at least give an indication in line with the skill points. If, for example, I could see that a fielder at cover has good skills for nailing a direct throw I'm less likely to take on a quick single. Reality is it's not clear how much a difference there is between a player with maxed out fielding skills and one with half as many.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Either:
1. there will be radio silence until like 5 days before release, then we'll be spammed; or
2. there will be a push in the release date.

The date has been confirmed by BA on Twitter with the caption "The date is the date". I'd wait a week and then would expect some gameplay footage etc.

KapCha4242

Banned
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
  5. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
The date has been confirmed by BA on Twitter with the caption "The date is the date". I'd wait a week and then would expect some gameplay footage etc.
so far we have seen that Ross Sir stays on his words.
& ig its a good sign that no more delays atleast

Master Khan

National Board President
PAK...
Profile Flag
Pakistan
If you had any doubt about Oct 5 release date, than this retweet from Big Ant Studio will some what clarifies your doubt... also you can own free copy of #Cricket24

We would love to see at least a screenshot or something from this game. The game is 3 weeks away and we got nothing.

T.J.Hooker II

Club Captain
Of course you'd need extrapolate the likelihood of taking that catch based on other factors that would increase or decrease the percentage chance. My example was a basic one that would at least give an indication in line with the skill points. If, for example, I could see that a fielder at cover has good skills for nailing a direct throw I'm less likely to take on a quick single. Reality is it's not clear how much a difference there is between a player with maxed out fielding skills and one with half as many.
The thing we don't know is how much the AI running code can distinguish between fielder ability. Some of the DBC14 systems were quite simple so it might or might not be well suited to dealing with a lot of variance in fielder speed.

So, just hypothetically, you might get a situation where the AI is either constantly getting run out by the quickest fielders or dawdling against the slowest fielders. The issues with AI running vs manual fielding suggest that the AI is not doing quite the sort of calculation an irl batsman would do - how close is the fielder, how long till he releases and how good at throwing is he?

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
The thing we don't know is how much the AI running code can distinguish between fielder ability. Some of the DBC14 systems were quite simple so it might or might not be well suited to dealing with a lot of variance in fielder speed.

So, just hypothetically, you might get a situation where the AI is either constantly getting run out by the quickest fielders or dawdling against the slowest fielders. The issues with AI running vs manual fielding suggest that the AI is not doing quite the sort of calculation an irl batsman would do - how close is the fielder, how long till he releases and how good at throwing is he?
The importance of fielding is probably easy to overlook because it's not really an exciting part of the gameplay - there's potential it could be with a more engaging system. Generally, I'd like there to be more to do strategically during a match, particularly in the field.

It is probably the one area where most can go wrong and like I said the other day, because it's always 'there', the problems are more noticeable.

T.J.Hooker II

Club Captain
The importance of fielding is probably easy to overlook because it's not really an exciting part of the gameplay - there's potential it could be with a more engaging system. Generally, I'd like there to be more to do strategically during a match, particularly in the field.

It is probably the one area where most can go wrong and like I said the other day, because it's always 'there', the problems are more noticeable.
I think there's a lot of potentially really fun gameplay that's just not yet been realised in cricket games.

Making a good catch or diving stop irl is one of the most fun things you can do on a cricket field but it's not very much fun in any cricket videogame so far.

Catching is in the game, obvs, but for me the mechanic just doesn't capture the actual fun bit of the experience of catching a cricket ball at all. The original batting mechanic from DBC14 was a huge improvement over previous models and cricket gaming could really use a similar step forward for catching, in particular.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Create and take your player from club cricket to international fame in career mode or challenge your friends online regardless of your console or device, via cross-platform multiplayer support.

For the first time, players will also be able to play as professional Indian T20 sides, alongside the biggest teams across the world, with 50 highly detailed stadium locations available.

Cricket 24 is set to release on October 5, 2023 on PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One and PC. Pre-order Cricket 24 now on the Big Ant Studios website.

To enter the competition – fill out the form below.

The competition will close on Friday, October 6.

Good luck!

So IPL is confirmed?

Reactions: DAP

Users who are viewing this thread