Cricket 24 - General Discussion

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
This is an excellent well reasoned post.

Firstly, it seems like you're having to justify your opinion, but you're well entitled to say what you have, because from a broader look at the gaming industry and their promotional approaches, it's pretty much spot on. It may or may not be right about Cricket '24, but it's as valid a point of view as anyone could have. Wealey is well entitled to argue against your view, but the truth is, he doesn't know for sure why they're doing what they are either.

Sure Ross has stated in reply to a suggestion that they can't show some players, grounds and kits due to licensing and marketing reasons. Absolutely fair enough and understandable. However, this is a game that (presuming it has anything like the customisation that previous titles have) you can show any generic or custom kits, players or grounds in a playing scenario.

Easy to show a team called the Suburban Tigers, playing against the Inner City Bulls at the Western Showgrounds for example. Just to show people the quality of graphics, HUD, conditions (pitch and atmospheric) and other features. A short clip based trailer, showing a couple of minutes of good wickets, bowling and batting animations, edges and fielding could probably be banged out over someone's lunchtime. Of course, adding a few things like start and end cap notices (maybe one explaining "GENERIC TEAMS ONLY USED FOR TRAILER") and music would take some time, but it's hardly mission impossible for a professional development or production team.

Though IF the game isn't much more to look at or play than '22 and needs licenses, kits and official players to look good at all, why would you want to show that?

Still this is just my own opinion, hopefully that's okay.

From Wealey’s perspective he’s seen this for perhaps the last 3-4 BA releases in increasingly worse fashion on this forum and has also received some shtick from unsavoury parts of this forum because he was on the beta testing team (which also means he’s worked with the devs before and the ones he worked with were passionate about the sport). I do get why he feels the way he does from his PoV.

You’ve pretty much said what I left out in my previous posts too. There’s plenty of ways to showcase the game without official national licenses which may be the issue. Even then there’s plenty of domestic sides they can show, I’m struggling to see why it‘s impossible to show teams from the Hundred, CPL, IPL or PSL all of which have been finished. You could have just released random screenshots from those leagues when they were being conducted, surely that leaves the game’s name out there in those audiences? Making an adequate video is also a single day’s job for an intern at worst. Are you really gaining something big from that single day of a single dev time compared to the reach a video could have done?

I don’t even get the “too similar to C22“ issue as most sports games generically look similar every year unless the generation has jumped to a new console. The only plausible thing I can think of is the game either not being ready to be shown till now (which is a worrying thing) or they’re deliberately sitting on a functional product and focusing on dev time only because that one hour of grabbing and uploading screenshots per week is detrimental to the game’s development.

It’s bizarre because I genuinely can’t think of any game that has had such minimal exposure or marketing with a week to go for release when they‘ve arguably had the most reasons to market the most out of this one with so much official content and apparently extra months of dev time to polish things. Just for comparison’s sake, the last Age of Empires 2 DLC was extremely poorly marketed compared to the usual ones and it was one of the main reasons that contributed to it’s lack of success compared to the previous ones despite it literally porting over an entire game to it’s engine (so you got AoE1 in AoE2 practically). SI who have been infamous for dropping the ball in recent years for their lack of transparency and innovation with how they approach announcements have also got on the train and have been doing fantastic work in the prelude to this year’s FM despite it being nothing more than a polished version of FM23 practically because they‘ve gone in detail over what specific changes they’ve made and how much they’ve focused on polishing. Their latest blog post has multiple small clips showing the match engine improvements that had nothing fancy, just a few video captures in-game that were uploaded to YouTube and yet the reaction to it on their forums has been hugely positive because it’s something that people wanted from them. You really don’t need to go over the top to appease your audience.
Post automatically merged:

If the game flops I'm going to blame the lack of career mode romance options.

If the game doesn’t have a Tiefling Barb and a Half-Elf Goth Girl we riot.

Harigoks

County Cricketer
From Wealey’s perspective he’s seen this for perhaps the last 3-4 BA releases in increasingly worse fashion on this forum and has also received some shtick from unsavoury parts of this forum because he was on the beta testing team (which also means he’s worked with the devs before and the ones he worked with were passionate about the sport). I do get why he feels the way he does from his PoV.

You’ve pretty much said what I left out in my previous posts too. There’s plenty of ways to showcase the game without official national licenses which may be the issue. Even then there’s plenty of domestic sides they can show, I’m struggling to see why it‘s impossible to show teams from the Hundred, CPL, IPL or PSL all of which have been finished. You could have just released random screenshots from those leagues when they were being conducted, surely that leaves the game’s name out there in those audiences? Making an adequate video is also a single day’s job for an intern at worst. Are you really gaining something big from that single day of a single dev time compared to the reach a video could have done?

I don’t even get the “too similar to C22“ issue as most sports games generically look similar every year unless the generation has jumped to a new console. The only plausible thing I can think of is the game either not being ready to be shown till now (which is a worrying thing) or they’re deliberately sitting on a functional product and focusing on dev time only because that one hour of grabbing and uploading screenshots per week is detrimental to the game’s development.

It’s bizarre because I genuinely can’t think of any game that has had such minimal exposure or marketing with a week to go for release when they‘ve arguably had the most reasons to market the most out of this one with so much official content and apparently extra months of dev time to polish things. Just for comparison’s sake, the last Age of Empires 2 DLC was extremely poorly marketed compared to the usual ones and it was one of the main reasons that contributed to it’s lack of success compared to the previous ones despite it literally porting over an entire game to it’s engine (so you got AoE1 in AoE2 practically). SI who have been infamous for dropping the ball in recent years for their lack of transparency and innovation with how they approach announcements have also got on the train and have been doing fantastic work in the prelude to this year’s FM despite it being nothing more than a polished version of FM23 practically because they‘ve gone in detail over what specific changes they’ve made and how much they’ve focused on polishing. Their latest blog post has multiple small clips showing the match engine improvements that had nothing fancy, just a few video captures in-game that were uploaded to YouTube and yet the reaction to it on their forums has been hugely positive because it’s something that people wanted from them. You really don’t need to go over the top to appease your audience.
Post automatically merged:

If the game doesn’t have a Tiefling Barb and a Half-Elf Goth Girl we riot.
This is good. Exactly a week out and we have seen a couple of tweets and some blogs on the PS5 bundle and other than that there is absolutely nothing about the game. Be it the iteration of C22, show us a glimpse of it before we buy. You can't put a heavy price tag on a game that's identical to it's predecessor.

The_Pharoah

International Coach
Basically 1 week to release and still nothing. C'mon BA, you WANT this game to fail? I'm not going to speak for anybody else but to say I'm here because I WANT the game however you're basically giving me ZERO incentive to buy it. I've seen EAFC plastered all over the internet, youtube, etc but nothing about this game. I've got enough saved away for either FIFA or Cricket but right now it doesn't look like Cricket 24 is being released next week at any rate. You've effectively missed one of the best test cricket series ever (with the Ashes) and there's zero marketing so I'm not sure what the play is. SMH.

amol11111

School Cricketer
no steam version nothing ac mirage release 2-3 trailers within a month what the heck is happening with c 24 i think game is buggy thats why they are not showing the trailer

Disharies

#ready2strike
RCB...
LQ
Sydney Thunder
Manchester Originals
TPCL Titans
Profile Flag
Nepal
Basically 1 week to release and still nothing. C'mon BA, you WANT this game to fail? I'm not going to speak for anybody else but to say I'm here because I WANT the game however you're basically giving me ZERO incentive to buy it. I've seen EAFC plastered all over the internet, youtube, etc but nothing about this game. I've got enough saved away for either FIFA or Cricket but right now it doesn't look like Cricket 24 is being released next week at any rate. You've effectively missed one of the best test cricket series ever (with the Ashes) and there's zero marketing so I'm not sure what the play is. SMH.
Bro have patience
They are doing good i feel
Not to release anything

SloppyMane

Constructive User Title
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Who's more invested in the product's financial success than Ross? Absolutely no one! So, maybe let's hold off on the marketing advice until there's some actual evidence of a flop.
Yes I absolutely agree, but I think people here want the games to be successful so as they continue making cricket games, since they are the ones who are actually still doing it and as much as we all want the gameplay stuff to improve this has been the work-in-progress perfect simulation of our sport.

TemPSaad

Associate Captain
If the game is getting bundled with PS5 then surely it won’t be buggy like AC13 right? Pretty it will be the most polished game from BAS ever but may be without any new features compare to c22

Karachi

Associate Captain
If the game is getting bundled with PS5 then surely it won’t be buggy like AC13 right? Pretty it will be the most polished game from BAS ever but may be without any new features compare to c22

I believe the game is C22 with new features, which mostly include x-number of licensed players and teams, and about 50 licensed stadiums. So, essentially BA/NACOM would be reselling C22 alongside DLC content at a full prize. Since, C22 is relatively stable Sony India might be willing to have it bundled with PS5. Plus, if the decision is purely from Sony India than my guess perhaps isn't as good as that of the Indians themselves. They would know better if the Sony India operates with the same ethics code as Sony does elsewhere, especially in Japan, East Asia, and the western hemisphere.

As I had written before, I am also speculating (theorising) that the game has not been deemed worthy by ECB & CA to be released alongside the Ashes this year and BA/NACON have simply decided to unload it on everyone, but particularly India, by taking advantage of the world cup.

sjdigitall

Club Captain
I work in Marketing and have for a decade. Either two things are going on here. They have shifted their campaign to being part of the World Cup and are spending all the budget during the World Cup to maximise profits in which they literally could start the campaign in the week of the start of the cup. They probably have bought some tv time during matches or the final game itself has some problems with it (could be C22 with licenses) .

They could not be confident in the final product and want to lessen the damage that it’s going to bring PR wise to avoid the situation they had with AFL earlier this year. Then I would see them doing a slow burn of marketing for the next couple of months as they work on patches.

Harigoks

County Cricketer
I got a source who can potentially street break on this Saturday will keep you posted with more info once he gets stock keep an eye
Lol, I heard someone in this forum might get the physical copy today. Is he the source of yours?

issue

Associate Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Lol, I heard someone in this forum might get the physical copy today. Is he the source of yours?
Just waiting for stock to reach , nah it's some one whome I trust for street broke for all cricket games released till date

BTW he is not community pro lol

sahibosaurus

Club Captain
Got hold of a picture of the T-shirt they're giving out with pre-orders in India, and I can only say I'd consider wearing it if I were on some heavy psychedelic substances..

Edit: looks like the "community professionals" don't like to waste time lol

Attachments

• picture.jpg
    picture.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread