Cricket 24 - General Discussion

Cricket_god

Associate Cricketer
Looking forward to @WealeyH 's findings as well. Both Blocker and he will give a thorough and honest review of the state of things.

Or may be there are not skilled enough seeing AFL 23 fate, I hope some other developer enter in to the market and give them competition
Post automatically merged:

One thing is for sure they are definitely hard workers but may be not skilled enough to produce a big free feature full cricket game or any sports game.

They did rewritten the whole fielding code for C24 and it is still not perfect may be they are not skilled enough or the engine is just become too buggy to cater any more changes
The new guys are worst development team in history of gaming.They don't know their work other wise they would have fixed simple bugs first.

pfunkboy

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
Scotland
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
So, I loaded the game up on PS5 and it bloody well crashed again and said my saved settings were yet again removed due to it being corrupted. Only setting I had saved was the turn menu sound down to 0! I just wanted to play a game of cricket to relax.

ps It seems that my saved career game (played 4 games in it) was deleted due to corruption too. I'm totally scunnered with it all now.

Last edited:

Nard2020

Club Captain
I've just seen a video where every single ball was given as 4 runs in world cup mode. What?!

This release is an absolute disgrace. I've bought in the past to try and help them develop a good cricket game long term but it's just a shambles now. From having a totally broken career mode for months with Cricket 19 (I think) to the ridiculous amount of bugs. I understand that their will always be issues with physics given the complexity of cricket but that's the only excusable thing. The fielding is still an embarrassment, the graphics are pretty shocking after 10 years of development and it's so bare bones and lifeless. Doubt it's in this year but not even being able to select multiple academy creations at once to do a big download is stupid too.

What have they been doing for 2 years? Some face scanning. Couldn't even be bothered to do anything to the UI. They're not a small studio anymore so that doesn't wash. They kept quiet and said absolute nothing which is always a worry. Not that you should expect much less when the head of the company is egotistical enough to put his own face in the game.

I'm actually not even mad (though it sounds like it), just disappointed for everyone who has continued to support them and especially the amazing academy creators on here.

Adding to that, the arrogance displayed by the CEO on Twitter, while disregarding the fact that half of his commitments were pure lies, is disheartening.

Moreover, people are getting blocked for asking about these commitments only amplifies my frustration, highlighting the monopoly at play here!!

I just can't imagine Big Ant thought this would go well. Were they hoping that the licences would distract from the miniscule improvements and massive bugs? I just don't see the game plan (ironic considering AI in the game) and nowhere do I see an actual acknowledegment of the state of the game just a luke warm attempt to spin this as "a lot of things going on under the hood".
The major problem is that they are the only ones making these “niche” sports ( Cricket, Tennis, Rugby, Golf), so they will continue to take advantage of that because they know that the fans have no where else to turn for these games.

I noticed with Tennis World Tour 2 they seemed to have expected the surplus of big licenses and brands would be enough to keep the fan base happy…it back fired big time. It’s always such a tell when a game releases with very little information known beforehand. Or when the team has next to no communication with the consumers. These guys do both, and like clockwork, their games ALWAYS launch with problems.

As far as Ross goes. I have never seen a CEO of a video game company behave the way he does on Twitter. It’s borderline embarrassing.

pfunkboy

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
Scotland
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
The major problem is that they are the only ones making these “niche” sports ( Cricket, Tennis, Rugby, Golf), so they will continue to take advantage of that because they know that the fans have no where else to turn for these games.

I noticed with Tennis World Tour 2 they seemed to have expected the surplus of big licenses and brands would be enough to keep the fan base happy…it back fired big time. It’s always such a tell when a game releases with very little information known beforehand. Or when the team has next to no communication with the consumers. These guys do both, and like clockwork, their games ALWAYS launch with problems.

As far as Ross goes. I have never seen a CEO of a video game company behave the way he does on Twitter. It’s borderline embarrassing.
He's very different to Miles who does Football Manager.

Jake Azazel

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
Welp, looks like I'm going to have to hold off buying this game well into next year atleast. You guys have been a massive help, so big thanks for not making me waste my money. For now I'm back to C22 with Rumple's sliders. I'll be dropping in regularly to see if BA makes a significant enough change in the game for it to be talked about positively over here. Peace out.

intisar.hasnain

Club Captain
Wish I had known chatgpt could do it..

I'm going to make Cricket 25 right now!!!

Give me 5
It's funny to joke about yes, but:
I was an ardent fan of BigAnt since their very entry into cricket games, and then being heartbroken so badly by their recent iteration and actions, I genuinely felt the urge to just make one myself. I am a Computer Science graduate, and I have been in the animation industry for the past 7 years, I know Unity and Unreal Engine, and I know how to use AI tools (ie. AI generated commentary with natural sounding voices is literally child's play now).
Even yesterday I thought of starting a journey to find fellow developers and start a cricket game company and create a thread here promising an actual realistic cricket game for PC. But then yeah it's easy to dream but the reality is harsh. There are infinite challenges already in my life and BigAnt knows not many people in the gaming industry care enough to compete against them in the PC market (Android having easier monetization and adsense environment).
Maybe in the near future, I will be in a position to actually do it, or witness some healthy competition and progress by other companies entering the cricket PC gaming.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
Im going to say it..

I prefer 22. It's almost identical but there's two major things that's irritating me:

The batting animations seem a little off or late or rushed. I don't know what it is it just looks very sudden. Maybe it's the new style.

Secondly.. if there was one thing that needs to be appealing is the sound of bat on ball and my god its god awful. It varies in volume and sounds simply nothing like it at all.

Ironically all the Indian team licenses and focus on the limited overs stuff is wasted because the shorter format is when the AI are at their worse.

They have no real awareness of what they are chasing. They can't pierce gaps so just keep playing shots to the fielder then a big heave comes.

Least in tests the need to play a shot isn't always there.

Kills me to say it. But I can't currently find a reason to play it over 22 and it's the first cricket game I have ever gone and not actually wanted to play.

Proper proper bummer :(

Soooooo this is pretty rough then aye? What's with the sounds :laughter:

The stumps sounds like empty dustbins

Dutch

DutchTheOnlyOne
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Welp, looks like I'm going to have to hold off buying this game well into next year atleast. You guys have been a massive help, so big thanks for not making me waste my money. For now I'm back to C22 with Rumple's sliders. I'll be dropping in regularly to see if BA makes a significant enough change in the game for it to be talked about positively over here. Peace out.
I am back to DBC 14 and enjoying the depth and gameplay. Had me some Cricket 22 but switched it off when the keeper flew himself across and caught an edge behind third slip that went as an outside edge but graphically was an inside edge. The game is better than that but I cant unsee it any more.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
It's funny to joke about yes, but:
I was an ardent fan of BigAnt since their very entry into cricket games, and then being heartbroken so badly by their recent iteration and actions, I genuinely felt the urge to just make one myself. I am a Computer Science graduate, and I have been in the animation industry for the past 7 years, I know Unity and Unreal Engine, and I know how to use AI tools (ie. AI generated commentary with natural sounding voices is literally child's play now).
Even yesterday I thought of starting a journey to find fellow developers and start a cricket game company and create a thread here promising an actual realistic cricket game for PC. But then yeah it's easy to dream but the reality is harsh. There are infinite challenges already in my life and BigAnt knows not many people in the gaming industry care enough to compete against them in the PC market (Android having easier monetization and adsense environment).
Maybe in the near future, I will be in a position to actually do it, or witness some healthy competition and progress by other companies entering the cricket PC gaming.

Exactly my point .. it isn't an easy task.

I am back to DBC 14 and enjoying the depth and gameplay. Had me some Cricket 22 but switched it off when the keeper flew himself a cross and caught an edge beind thrid slip that went as an outside edge but graphically was an inside edge. The game is better than that but I cant unsee it any more.

But this is what kills me.. it's not had any love and I know for a fact it's been reported and banged on about. There's so much that's just been ignored!

Dutch

DutchTheOnlyOne
Exactly my point .. it isn't an easy task.
I know it is very simplistic to state but I play sports games made by one bloke. Yes they are both tennis games which in a certain way might be considered easier. Graphically they are nothing to write home about but gameplay wise it is breathtakingly immersive. One bloke at home with a laptop. If he made a cricket game I guarentee you it would outclass anything we have seen up to now.

Bevab

Staff Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Im going to say it..

I prefer 22. It's almost identical but there's two major things that's irritating me:

The batting animations seem a little off or late or rushed. I don't know what it is it just looks very sudden. Maybe it's the new style.

Secondly.. if there was one thing that needs to be appealing is the sound of bat on ball and my god its god awful. It varies in volume and sounds simply nothing like it at all.

Ironically all the Indian team licenses and focus on the limited overs stuff is wasted because the shorter format is when the AI are at their worse.

They have no real awareness of what they are chasing. They can't pierce gaps so just keep playing shots to the fielder then a big heave comes.

Least in tests the need to play a shot isn't always there.

Kills me to say it. But I can't currently find a reason to play it over 22 and it's the first cricket game I have ever gone and not actually wanted to play.

Proper proper bummer :(

The stumps sounds like empty dustbins

This was pretty much what I was curious about, if a lot of the positives were just things already in C22 that others failed to notice because they had long stopped playing it or didn’t pay enough attention. Seems like it is the case for many of them (though not all).
I am back to DBC 14 and enjoying the depth and gameplay. Had me some Cricket 22 but switched it off when the keeper flew himself across and caught an edge behind third slip that went as an outside edge but graphically was an inside edge. The game is better than that but I cant unsee it any more.

How do you feel it holds up compared to the modern titles?

I know it is very simplistic to state but I play sports games made by one bloke. Yes they are both tennis games which in a certain way might be considered easier. Graphically they are nothing to write home about but gameplay wise it is breathtakingly immersive. One bloke at home with a laptop. If he made a cricket game I guarentee you it would outclass anything we have seen up to now.

There’s lots of great games made by very small dev teams (or one lonely dev) without anywhere near the budget of some of the bigger ones these days. Anyone who falls back to the “but we’re a small studio” excuse whilst charging this much money is definitely not being completely honest.

Users who are viewing this thread