Cricket 24 - General Discussion

MARK99ZA

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Are there 90s teams available? I tried to search few days back but kept returning no results - I find the search functionality in the community weird, ie 'Team Name starts with' - how do I search for all 90s teams?

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Are there 90s teams available? I tried to search few days back but kept returning no results - I find the search functionality in the community weird, ie 'Team Name starts with' - how do I search for all 90s teams?

I think Mouseydread made them in the last game, search with his username.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Wonder how good LO games are since most of the focus has been on tests in this part.
I find ODI and T20, by virtue of the formulaic structure, can provide a bit more challenge. With tests I think balancing realism and difficulty is hard; although I think I got one boundary in 10 overs and it was the most satisfying boundary ever, not least because it was with Zak Crawley. From what I've read the variety, in terms of what the AI does, in limited overs seems to have improved too.

Crassus

Club Captain
Profile Flag
England
In my career as a leg spinner I'm still finding that the AI has no idea really how to play spin. In a yest with NZ I took 4/18 in the first innings and currently have taken 4/3 in the 2nd!

I'm deliberately no using a short leg but I'm finding that virtually all my wickets are caught either by the keeper or 2nd slip (never 1st). Had Williamson stumped which was nice but very rarely getting LBW or bowled and absolutely never getting catches from any other fielders.

Karachi

Associate Captain
I find ODI and T20, by virtue of the formulaic structure, can provide a bit more challenge. With tests I think balancing realism and difficulty is hard; although I think I got one boundary in 10 overs and it was the most satisfying boundary ever, not least because it was with Zak Crawley. From what I've read the variety, in terms of what the AI does, in limited overs seems to have improved too.

What's your difficulty settings? I keep scoring high with strike rate between 150-200 no matter what difficulty. Is it a slider thing or what?

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
What's your difficulty settings? I keep scoring high with strike rate between 150-200 no matter what difficulty. Is it a slider thing or what?
I thought I was using a custom ball marker display time (1) and custom AI bowl quality (100) but it was just these default settings.

1702490951127.png

But I am playing on Pro Mode, with a custom Ball Marker (settings below; they can be changed in Accessibility) and no pitch marker. This is what makes it difficult; dicking around with sliders is a futile endeavour in my opinion (I've tried it on past games). I'm not as good (or unhinged) as @T.J.Hooker II though, who I'm fairly sure has an even more challenging set up.

I'm sat at my PC too, don't know how these would play on a console/TV.

1702491591257.png

I just loaded up and immediately got bowled by a Siraj inswinger. Pitched outside off, dipped in between bat and pad, clipped the legside bail. A really nice wicket, if it wasn't 21 for 7. :lol

Given how poorly I've done I will probably drop it Medium and edit the marker timing. I upped the difficulty despite not having had time to play recently, forgetting that I was crap beforehand.

2358260_20231213181652_1.png

Last edited:

V13w3r

School Cricketer
Had a cracking T20 yesterday. Set AUS 174 to win. I had them 90/4 at one stage, but Smudge and Green started smashing from the 17th over and won off the last ball. Had it on Veteran, Hard for bowling, batting, physics
Post automatically merged:

Then the next game I demolished SL. 87 all out. So there is good variation going on in T20 at least
Also had a very good T20 game... Windies vs England, eerily similar to last night's match actually. Got seriously walloped in the PP, pulled it back some, but not to the same extent, so was still chasing 200+ with England 5 or 6 down (seriously seriously walloped in the PP...). Chased it down with 7 balls to go & 2 wickets to spare with a lot of 6 hitting but still felt like a good balance in risk-reward, particularly vs Rehan & Rashid.

Saw the traits discussion & also think that could have some value, especially if it could somehow influence fielding/bowling plans. Eg. teams bowl short &/or wide of off/yorkers on the stumps to a Russell knowing he's so dangerous down the ground & to cow corner (albeit cow is mega hard to access currently in-game). You get a bonus as a batter for accessing those areas (power for example is +5, larger timing window etc) but the game does it's best to prevent that & force you to access other areas.

Would also help generally if we could look at lineups & player ratings in-game. I quite like playing with various different teams & cannot remember what everyone is respectively highly rated at... would be great if you could check before an over starts/when a batsman walks out (as well as generally of course) what they are actually good at beyond the really basic strengths/weaknesses we can get told. So you know with a certain bowler say to bowl a lot of out swingers or cutters (assuming ratings matter...)

Kiko_97

User Title Purchaser
Profile Flag
England
I thought I was using a custom ball marker display time (1) and custom AI bowl quality (100) but it was just these default settings.

View attachment 288130

But I am playing on Pro Mode, with a custom Ball Marker (settings below; they can be changed in Accessibility) and no pitch marker. This is what makes it difficult; dicking around with sliders is a futile endeavour in my opinion (I've tried it on past games). I'm not as good (or unhinged) as @T.J.Hooker II though, who I'm fairly sure has an even more challenging set up.

I'm sat at my PC too, don't know how these would play on a console/TV.

View attachment 288132

I just loaded up and immediately got bowled by a Siraj inswinger. Pitched outside off, dipped in between bat and pad, clipped the legside bail. A really nice way wicket, if it wasn't 21 for 7. :lol

Given how poorly I've done I will probably drop it Medium and edited the marker timing. I upped the difficulty despite not having had time to play recently, forgetting that I was crap beforehand.

View attachment 288131
I've done something similar to try and stop me hanging on for full tosses i'd leather over the bowler. Though i've gone for good length to be same colour as short since I mostly play good length on the front foot.

Got some tweaks so i'm not playing a total guessing game, plus i'm shite and ill-disciplined anyway. But my aim is bat through an entire test match without save scumming or collapsing.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I've done something similar to try and stop me hanging on for full tosses i'd leather over the bowler. Though i've gone for good length to be same colour as short since I mostly play good length on the front foot.

Got some tweaks so i'm not playing a total guessing game, plus i'm shite and ill-disciplined anyway. But my aim is bat through an entire test match without save scumming or collapsing.
I was playing with no ball marker and no pitch marker but I found too difficult to judge short balls. It was guess work and not fun when I would premeditate and go back to fuller balls. I felt the ball marker with two colours was one solution to try so it doesn't really change how I play (everything not short off the front foot) but means I can try and play short balls.

Bevab

Staff Member
I’ve taken out the length indicator and have kept the pitch marker alone to appear late enough and it’s been a decent challenge in fairness.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I’ve taken out the length indicator and have kept the pitch marker alone to appear late enough and it’s been a decent challenge in fairness.
Yeah I used a white pitch marker on the last two or three games. It gives nice gameplay that requires sharp reaction (particularly with a lower marker display time) and I didn't feel like I was making Pavlovian responses to colour as opposed to actually trying to use my cricket brain to play shots based on line and length. You also get the grey area of length for short/back of good length which can challenge your footwork usage.

Last game though I started using Pro Mode and find it far more immersive. But I still felt like, while it's not easy, the pitch marker was giving me too much information. So I started playing with no markers. Like I said, judgement of length was too tough and ultimately not fun.

I am actually surprised how easy it can be to judge line using the ball marker. It's certainly easier to judge that than it is length; though but that's might be to do with 2D representation of a 3D environment on a 2D screen (or something like that).

It's good there are options but I get the impression people think if they keep tweaking sliders they will unlock some magic setting that gives them the game they want (I did that on '19, I think, and it just sucks the fun out of it). It just seems to Goldilocks the game for people - not too hard, not too easy - and when you adapt to the rhythm, it becomes easier, so you have to go back to the sliders and change them again. It's less about cricketing judgement and more about gaming ability (how good are you at reacting to this thing on the screen). I suppose I'm just trying to find a way to play that feels more natural, same reason I don't look at the bowling hud and use the run up of the bowler. Far more immersive to learn the rhythms of the bowling actions (harder now there are so many) than just look at some line go up and down.

Kiko_97

User Title Purchaser
Profile Flag
England
Do we know when academy bats are going to be fixed? Still plagued with the issues from launch for quite a lot of them. (I'd also love a single bat texture for every bat in game, the lighter shades of willow on the licensed bats look lovely and should be default)

Also, would it be possible to see which players custom bats are assigned to?

@JNT BA @MattW

luckysoni

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
I Was mostly playing a lot of t20 lately & after long time playing ashes test after long time & did setup weather as usual on spring / reduced & to my surprise there was very few rain drops were visible , though not too much but definitely was raining for almost 25 overs i played then i closed the game. Anyways, i didn't feel it had any effect on pitch/game but it was a good surprise for me & i would like to see more heavy rain & interruptions/revised gameplay conditions in all formats like C19.:grin:

Users who are viewing this thread