Cricket Coach 2007 - first opinions and thoughts

Donners

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Actually, I gave the trial a go, and it has all the problems I mentioned, plus Australia-contracted players are never available for my state, even though they never play for the national side, and the simulation is very slow. Oh, and there are no byes or leg byes. Is there even a point in choosing a keeper? Add the inability to protect the lower-order by having a batsman keep strike, bizarre contract demands ( signed COok for Victoria on barely $10,000), more problems caused by the official data update...

Another bad cricket game to add to the list...

Last edited:

Donners

School Cricketer
Don't know about ties, but I've played plenty of games of the original game, and have NEVER seen a run out. If they are not nonexistent, they are exceptionally rare and grossly unrealistic in what is supposedly a cricket simulation.

Look, I can see the game has some good points, and know that people are desperate for a good cricket game. I'm one of them. Unfortunately, this one has clear flaws that detract from its quality.

Last edited:

IloveGilly

News Team Member<br><a href="http://www.planetcric
I'm only going by the Ford Ranger Cup mini-game, but these are just some of the problems I've encountered:

The computer uses bit-part bowlers in the final overs far too often. When's the last time the likes of Hodge, Ponting and Cosgrove were bowling at the end of an innings?

There is a quite frequent bug where players will run four at hyper speed from a shot which is right near a fielder.

Fielding AI has issues, with players constantly running past the ball in the outfield.

It's hard to tell how the rest of your squad is developing, with no training results or second-team scores.

I haven't seen a run-out in two entire seasons.

The news screen doesn't scroll properly when it's large, and keeps jumping to the middle.

Players never score from no-balls.

Ties are not implemented ? a side wins by ?0 runs?

Not bad for a free game, but certainly not something to make me go out and pay for a full version without quite a few patch fixes...

Very glad that people like you can pick up things like that.

Donners

School Cricketer
People like me? Those with eyes? It's hard to imagine anyone else missing them, which makes one wonder how they wound up in the final product of a commercial game.

That's only a few of the problems. The lack of byes and stumpings is worse, since there's no reason to pick a keeper (maybe one or two catches, but picking a decent batsman will more than cover that). Having national players permanently unavailable - even with a patch that supposedly fixes that - is particularly frustrating. The simulation engine is supposedly slow because it can simulate accurate results that way. Australia did not win a Test for an entire year in my game. Oh, and New South Wales won an Indian domestic competition despite not participating in it...

Then again, that's probably not such a surprise given the poor quality of cricket games we are used to expecting. It's just sad that people happily accept this sort of thing.

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I purchased the full version today. Noticed a few bugs including a team playing a Limited overs game in the middle of a 4 day fixture (Tamil Nadu (my team) vs. Hyderabad)

It's unrealistic in that sense. But otherwise it's very involved and interesting.

Again, my suggestions for improvement: putting players through training modes in the nets. Also fixing the bug I mentioned above (a team playing a One-dayer in the middle of a FC match)

Great work though. thanks for this game. I hope it doesn't get me addicted. :p

Last edited:

Sman-21

Club Cricketer
despite a few minor bugs i really like it especially since i get to use my local domestic team.

Got no idea how to develop young players though.
i buy a couple an play them in more than half the games but there skill levels dont seem to improve even though 1 of them has a bowling average of just over 20

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
despite a few minor bugs i really like it especially since i get to use my local domestic team.

Got no idea how to develop young players though.
i buy a couple an play them in more than half the games but there skill levels dont seem to improve even though 1 of them has a bowling average of just over 20

Yes, that's a big gap in the game play. It would add immense depth to be able to build a team from a bunch of youngsters. Right now it feels too pre-built if you get my meaning. I am well into the season and I still am using only a few main players.

I've recruited another state player. But the overall situation of team development feels a little bit shallow.

The best part is the realism. It feels quite realistic - especially the four day games, although I've not got a feel of how the conditions affect the scores.

Donners

School Cricketer
Wrote a more detailed review:

It is often requested at the Sports Interactive forums that the makers of Football (formerly Championship) Manager would expand the sports their games cover. It is also often that a game is promoted as the "CM of [sport]".

Cricket Coach 2007 is clearly an attempt to fill that role, with only the relatively limited International Cricket Captain - restricted to a single domestic competition and failing to step forward in the last decade - as its competition. Unfortunately, it is let down by some baffling decisions and sloppy programming, making it hard to justify a purchase.

Superficially, Cricket Coach does indeed resemble the mighty soccer sims. It has an extensive database, with relatively few glaring errors. Any first class and international side is playable. The graphics bear passing resemblance to the moving circles used in FM, though really they date back to the old Cricket World Cup game of the early 1990s. While exceptionally outdated, cricket graphics really don't need to show more than where the fielders are and where the ball is going. The game does not handle height well, with balls seeming to fly to impossible heights even off the pads, and shots also have an odd habit of swinging through the air. The major annoyance is that while there is a speed control for highlights, it seems to have little effect. Instead, the same setting can result in highlights from lightning-fast to crawlingly slow, depending on the choices of what are shown as highlights.

The game would always live or die by its gameplay. The match simulations themselves are not too bad. Scores are generally reasonably realistic and results not obviously bizarre. There are a handful of missing features, such as the ability to have a batsman control the strike, and one wonders if the vast array of bowling options really have any effect. Sure, you could develop an elabourate plan, but will it make any difference?

Glaring omissions are obvious in the match section. There are no run outs or stumpings. There are no byes or leg byes. Batsmen don't score off no balls. Wicket-keepers are immediately rendered all but irrelevant. Catches rarely go to them anyway, and even world class ones seem to drop far more than they should. Fielding skills are rendered purely cosmetic, removing one major advantage the game may have had over ICC. The computer apparently cannot plan its overs, and winds up with bit-part bowlers in the final over.

Outside the games, there are plenty of problems as well. Despite a supposed patch fix, centrally-contracted players can often be absent from every state game even if they never play for their national side. There is no indication of how players perform outside the senior team, and no apparent way to influence development. Contract demands are often bizarre, with top-line players requesting minimal fees (eg. England international Cook joining Victoria for $10,000). Simulations are slow and unrealistic - the Australian Sheffield Shield (which has not had that name for several years) generally features barely a third of games finishing with outright wins. In one game, the competition leader won two of ten games. The game does not seem to handle these games at all well - every record for closest First Class finish is quickly broken in a few seasons. Speaking of records, these are rapidly mangled with the side that supposedly breaks the record not one of the sides listed as playing in the game. There is no way to skip ahead to your next game, though there is nothing to do in between. An Indian competition which ended with all sides having draws somehow wound up with New South Wales winning it. Navigation is made quite awkward by back buttons that don't actually take you back to your last screen.

Perhaps the most startling bug is seeing your international side, in the middle of a Test, have ODIs scheduled. Through some astoundingly sloppy programming, you can actually play two different games on the same day - apparently for no fatigue effect on players. One would have thought this would be the first thing that one would ensure wouldn't happen when dealing with fixtures, yet it does - in a patched version, no less.

Ultimately, the game is slow, buggy and remarkably shallow for what purports to be a management game. The management is greatly weakened by the total inability to develop players, and the irritating, arbitrary limit of 30 years play is just pointless and unnecessary. It fails to get right a lot of things that games managed over 15 years ago - MacCricket in particular in terms of the match engine. Sadly enough, with ICC still stagnating, it looks like we will be waiting a long time for a quality cricket management game.

Last edited:

Hooper

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Wrote a more detailed review:

It is often requested at the Sports Interactive forums that the makers of Football (formerly Championship) Manager would expand the sports their games cover. It is also often that a game is promoted as the "CM of [sport]".

Cricket Coach 2007 is clearly an attempt to fill that role, with only the relatively limited International Cricket Captain - restricted to a single domestic competition and failing to step forward in the last decade - as its competition. Unfortunately, it is let down by some baffling decisions and sloppy programming, making it hard to justify a purchase.

Superficially, Cricket Coach does indeed resemble the mighty soccer sims. It has an extensive database, with relatively few glaring errors. Any first class and international side is playable. The graphics bear passing resemblance to the moving circles used in FM, though really they date back to the old Cricket World Cup game of the early 1990s. While exceptionally outdated, cricket graphics really don't need to show more than where the fielders are and where the ball is going. The game does not handle height well, with balls seeming to fly to impossible heights even off the pads, and shots also have an odd habit of swinging through the air. The major annoyance is that while there is a speed control for highlights, it seems to have little effect. Instead, the same setting can result in highlights from lightning-fast to crawlingly slow, depending on the choices of what are shown as highlights.

The game would always live or die by its gameplay. The match simulations themselves are not too bad. Scores are generally reasonably realistic and results not obviously bizarre. There are a handful of missing features, such as the ability to have a batsman control the strike, and one wonders if the vast array of bowling options really have any effect. Sure, you could develop an elabourate plan, but will it make any difference?

Glaring omissions are obvious in the match section. There are no run outs or stumpings. There are no byes or leg byes. Batsmen don't score off no balls. Wicket-keepers are immediately rendered all but irrelevant. Catches rarely go to them anyway, and even world class ones seem to drop far more than they should. Fielding skills are rendered purely cosmetic, removing one major advantage the game may have had over ICC. The computer apparently cannot plan its overs, and winds up with bit-part bowlers in the final over.

Outside the games, there are plenty of problems as well. Despite a supposed patch fix, centrally-contracted players can often be absent from every state game even if they never play for their national side. There is no indication of how players perform outside the senior team, and no apparent way to influence development. Contract demands are often bizarre, with top-line players requesting minimal fees (eg. England international Cook joining Victoria for $10,000). Simulations are slow and unrealistic - the Australian Sheffield Shield (which has not had that name for several years) generally features barely a third of games finishing with outright wins. In one game, the competition leader won two of ten games. There is no way to skip ahead to your next game, though there is nothing to do in between. An Indian competition which ended with all sides having draws somehow wound up with New South Wales winning it.

Ultimately, the game is slow, buggy and remarkably shallow for what purports to be a management game. The management is greatly weakened by the total inability to develop players, and the irritating, arbitrary limit of 30 years play is just pointless and unnecessary. It fails to get right a lot of things that games managed over 15 years ago - MacCricket in particular in terms of the match engine. Sadly enough, with ICC still stagnating, it looks like we will be waiting a long time for a quality cricket management game.
Wow, one word, wow!

What a fantastic review. After playing a season of FC cricket with WA playing the game - that review sums up everything the game has to offer.

Well done!

Users who are viewing this thread