Cricket Coach 2007 - first opinions and thoughts

kookaburra69

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Ive chose Canterbury as my starting team and its been auto-simulating for half an hour and im not even up to the first match!! Its soo fricking slow!!!!!

Glenn Stiemens

Club Cricketer
Yeah, simulating games takes a little longer now (because the detail of the match engine has increased significantly).

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
Okay, well aboslute FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

I started a game as Australia, and was impressed with the new look. Central Contracts are a good feature (but why on earth are Matthew Elliot and Ashley Noffke contracted? And Dave Hussey is awesome but he's not contracted in real life). It's now easier to navigate through days and get to the game.

Got into my first match against the West Indies, picked my team which was fine, and was impressed with more detail in the pitch report. So far so good.

Started batting, and loved Matthew Hayden and Chris Rogers putting on 100, although Rogers out for 49 (:(), but Haydos gets his century, Punter out way too early (3) but whatever. I didn't do too well, but I was impressed with the engine A LOT!!

First up, the auto feature is brilliant. Never have I been able to play a game and do so little :D! I can simply tweak the aggression when I want, and sit back and watch the cricket go on. It's great to finally not have to use your mouse to click every 3 seconds for a new over. The Aussie score system is a neat feature too.

As for the batting engine, it was much better than last year, aggressive is aggressive this time, and defensive actually pays early on. Building it up is a lot better, and overall it seems a lot more playable.

So I give the batting engine an 8.5/10, compared with something like 6/10 for the old Cricket Coach. Let's see how the bowling goes now, and I'll be back!

Oh, one bug I noticed, after Shaun Tait got out and I was all out, for some reason it bowled the rest of the over (even though I was all out) and then told me to continue to the 2nd innings.

Allrounder18

Banned
Ok here is my first bang on the game.
I start the international series mode b/w Pakistan and Austrailia 3 match series in the first match Australia out for 176 in 39 overs ,which is quite realistic compare to the previous game where 176 all out score in 23 overs. and back to the match and pakistan eventually get the target in 40th over losing only 3 wkts which is pretty neat.
In the second match australia put up decent total of 254 but pakistan get the target losing 7 wkts and the match was pretty tight.
In the third match Australia score 309 huge target as a result Pakistan collapse in 40th over scoring only 209.
Next I played a series b/w Pakistan and Newzealand.
first match Newzealand score 156 allout pak win by 7 wkts
next match Newzealand score 136 allout pak win by 5 wkts
3rd match Newzealand score 307 on the bowling freindly pitch which seems unrealistic but Pak manage to win by 3 wkts
so far the engine is pretty good one but it looks like there is always a big score after 2 collapses which seems odd.
I gave engine to 8.0/10
NOw back to careear mode.
Autosimulating for more than half hour now. what the hack is that.:mad how am I suppose to play this game with such loading times? even I had a decent enough PC to run this game.
MAKE THE PATCH AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
Okay, after finishing the test with the Windies in a strong position before self destructing, allowing me to CRUSH them, here is my take on the bowling engine:

Like last game, it is simple to use, but with detail for those who want it. It is fine, and works quite well, I do enjoy bowling still, and it is not too complicated at all.

However, there are a few issues with it, namely:
-Changing bowlers is difficult when auto simming overs, as you have to wait for it to stop at the end of the over, and it is just a little annoying. One possible solution would be to have a preset type of changing of bowlers, such as sets of 5 or something, that you can preset, but still manually change if required.
-It is hard to tell who is bowling well from the small score summary, and how many overs have been bowled by each. An extended thing that shows you at least the stats of the 2 that are bowling, but hopefully all of the bowlers that have bowled so far, would improve it greatly.

Overall the bowling engine gets 7.5/10 at this stage, with those issues pulling it down from a possible 8. Score would be 7.5 or 8 in last year's game.

NOTE that the bug I mentioned earlier did not occur again :).

clayman

School Cricketer
Well done Perren!!

Attachments

• Perren.jpg
    Perren.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 216

Glenn Stiemens

Club Cricketer
There is a rare issue as shown above where batting becomes a bit skew. We're looking into it.

Recluse

School Cricketer
Just a very small thing I noticed - the record Sangakkara/Jayawardene partnership is on the test records, but not the first class records :P

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Just downloaded the trial, its very fun. Started a test series against West Indies, Panesar was injured so i stupidly picked Nayan Doshi for the test match, he sucks, skill of 61 :p. I am doing well though, end of day 2, leading by 13 runs with Bell and Pietersen on unbeaten hundreds :D Will definetly be buying.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I have played the game for the first time! I have a 21 inch monitor, and on full screen the game does feel quite stretched, it has to be said.

Looking beyond this, I started a career as the coach of Surrey. With the presentation, it's quite good - the pop-ups that appear when you hover over a button are quite annoying though. I noticed there is an option to choose skins, I hope that means we can make our own skins but keep the default one as well.

There were a lot of players out with foot injuries early on in the season - Ian Salisbury and Jade Dernbach both had either bruised or broken toes. The news that filters through is quite well presented though - miles better than it's rivals.

The first game was against Yorkshire at The Oval. The team selection and match screens did confuse me at first, but I got used to them very quickly and thought they were quite clever. In that match screen though, I didn't notice the total number of overs bowled anywhere - that would make it complete for me.

The way of playing through the game is the best I have seen in this genre - not lots of mouse clicking or mind-numbing screens to go through - just set your tactics, click once and you're away until something happens, and the things that happen are under your control as well.

This was the result of that match:

Surrey 1st innings: 318 all out (Clarke 107)
Yorkshire 1st innings: 266 all out (Schofield 3/43)
Surrey 2nd innings: 304/7 declared (Benning 121)
Yorkshire 2nd innings: 146 all out (Ormond 5/60)

Surrey won by 210 runs

The sound in game, I might add, is really good. Also - that match was played on a pitch that would favour bowlers greatly.

The HTML output is absolutely brilliant - story writers, your job is so much easier now! Kudos to Rockingham Software, they have the cricket gaming community in mind.

Now - ratings time!

Graphics/Presentation: 7/10
Gameplay: 8/10
"Pickupandplayability": 8/10
Longevity: 7/10

Overall: 8/10

I'll play some more of the trial before I think about buying it. Looks good so far though.

Last edited:

Sureshot

Executive member
There is a rare issue as shown above where batting becomes a bit skew. We're looking into it.

A bit skew?

:D Political answers ftw!

This game will get my attention come Monday when I have some good free time on my hands. So far looks good.

rabeta

News Team Member
Looks encouraging so far, and it is good to see that Rockingham Software seem interested in the community. Downloading the trial now, will post a short review some time...

RabbleRouser

Club Cricketer
I just can't help but feel disappointed. My main issue with the game is that the openers seem to score all the runs. I'm yet to see any other batsmen on my team score a 50.
Another frustrating thing is the amount of boundaries scored early on. In a FC/Test match, the only runs seem to come from boundaries until the second session when the 1s 2s and 3s come more regularly and realistically.
My final gripe is the new system introduced instead of the 'Next over' button system thing. It just doesn't work IMO. I find myself missing the opportunity to change bowlers if I put it any higher that swift, but that's too slow to keep me interested me.
Another think I've notice is how many LBWs are turned down. In my first game, Mark Chilton made 140ish but had 9 LBW appeals against him turned down. Hopefully that can be sorted out with a quick tweak.

Users who are viewing this thread