Dav Whatmore confirmed as new Zimbabwe Head Coach

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
For me it doesn't matter who is the coach, until the government is fixed there won't be much change...

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
True, but that will never change (not anytime soon anyway).

At least Whatmore has coached and played at international level which is a lot more than what Mangongo has ever achieved.

Markkkkk

Profile Flag
South Africa
True, but that will never change (not anytime soon anyway).

At least Whatmore has coached and played at international level which is a lot more than what Mangongo has ever achieved.

Agreed, just have to hope Mugabe doesn't live to 120. Don't know much about Zim politics anyway, isn't Morgan Changeri (don't know how to spell it) a decent bloke?

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Zimbabwe cricket fell aside after the 2003 Cricket World Cup. They were a pretty good team until then, with the likes of the FLowers, Streak & Strangs. They also had quite a few good players coming up in their ranks. The mass exodus of experienced seniors really hit them hard at a time it shouldn't have. Take those stats away from Zimbabwe (2004-2014) and you will find that they are a really good side.

Whatmore may not bring results, but there maybe a slight change in the attitude of the players.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
so what you've just said is that Zimbabwe are good... if you ignore the last ten years.

Portsmouth FC are a very good football club!!!!! if you ignore the last five years where they've gone from FA Cup winners to almost getting relegated from the football league

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
You are getting my point wrong- Zimbabwe used to be good. Take away that political turmoil, exodus of players- what you could have had in the 2007 World Cup, would have been a team with stars like Streak, Whittall, Flower.

Markkkkk

Profile Flag
South Africa
so what you've just said is that Zimbabwe are good... if you ignore the last ten years.

Portsmouth FC are a very good football club!!!!! if you ignore the last five years where they've gone from FA Cup winners to almost getting relegated from the football league

There are in the Football League, Football League 2 I thnik?

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
Zimbabwe cricket fell aside after the 2003 Cricket World Cup. They were a pretty good team until then, with the likes of the FLowers, Streak & Strangs. They also had quite a few good players coming up in their ranks. The mass exodus of experienced seniors really hit them hard at a time it shouldn't have. Take those stats away from Zimbabwe (2004-2014) and you will find that they are a really good side.

Whatmore may not bring results, but there maybe a slight change in the attitude of the players.
The problem is that such players are no more in Zimbabwe. The days of Flowers, Strangs, Streak, Campbell, Ervine and Blignaut are long gone. Worse, the good players that they have produced have went for greener pastures and one can't blame them for that. Whatmore is certainly a hope for Zimbabwe and I'm sure he'll do a great job in boosting the players' morale and coming up with good ideas to strengthen the domestic structure of Zimbabwe cricket.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
QF of the World Cup is very much doable. I think the likes of Afghanistan and Ireland should also be aiming for this position.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
QF of the World Cup is very much doable. I think the likes of Afghanistan and Ireland should also be aiming for this position.

...you forgot a country there ;)

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Deliberately....They aren't that good enough. Though they have put together some memorable wins, its not enough to get them over the line. Bangladesh's expectations are too high for a team of their calibre. We saw what happened in 2011 and that may well be the case in 2015 as well. Plus they have a tough group-certainly the Group of Death.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
Deliberately....They aren't that good enough. Though they have put together some memorable wins, its not enough to get them over the line. Bangladesh's expectations are too high for a team of their calibre. We saw what happened in 2011 and that may well be the case in 2015 as well. Plus they have a tough group-certainly the Group of Death.
Ha, I think he was referring to Scotland :p

As for Zimbabwe, they need to ensure that they do not lose against both Ireland & UAE as it will be very embarrassing. I can't see them beating either South Africa or India but against the West Indies and Pakistan they have a slim chance.

Like I said It depends on what players are picked for the tournament.

Users who are viewing this thread